Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

It's Complicated

(Kay's POV)

It was a day away from New Year's Eve. Amid and my little sister, Carina, were flying from Albany and landing in the Philadelphia airport. I had spent the days since Christmas preparing for their stay. My sister would be staying in Aimee's room while Amid had offered to take the couch for the two days he'd be there.

Josh had come over to help me straighten up before I had to leave to pick them up at the airport. Their flight was arriving around 2 in the afternoon and it was barely noon. I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and pulled me away from the bed I'd been making. Squealing in delight, I was pulled from Aimee's room and back into my own. All the while, Josh placed kisses along my neck. I giggled when we collapsed onto my bed.

An hour later, I pulled my red flannel back on over my camisole and glanced down at my messed up bed. Josh was still lying there without a stitch on. Grabbing my jeans from the floor, I smacked at him with the leg of the pants.

“Get up! I have to leave.”

Josh shot me with a lazy grin. “Mind if I stay a while?”

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't help the grin that pulled at my lips. “If you make the bed, you can stay.”

Josh was out of bed faster than we'd gotten into it. “I'm good. Let me wash up quick.”

I stared shamelessly as he walked into my bathroom naked. I laughed at myself, unable to believe I was actually messing around with such a perfect creature. I turned to walk from the room when my eyes caught my reflection in the mirror. Frowning, I realized my hair was sticking up in random spots. I tried to pat it back in place when a knock came at my door. Freezing, I allowed my eyes to drift to the hallway.

Shit.

I rushed to the front door. I was still disheveled when I pulled the door wide open. Chad was standing on the other side. When he saw my messy hair, he smirked.

“Just wake up?” His eyes were staring at a specific spot on my head and my hands fluttered to flatten the hair.

“Uh no... Just lost track of time.” I told him stupidly. He didn't seem to be suspicious though. I didn't know why I cared what Chad thought of me... all I knew was that he absolutely couldn't stand Josh. Aimee had told me so around Christmas and I still couldn't figure it out.

Chad waved towards his waiting SUV. “Are you ready or did you need a minute?”

I stole a quick glance back into my apartment. Josh hadn't left the bathroom yet. Maybe I could sneak out before he came out...

“Kay?”

Chad's voice broke through my thoughts and I looked at him guiltily. Damn it! Why did I care so much?

“Are you ok?” He asked, his dark eyes looking serious.

I swallowed back my tears. What was wrong with me?

“Hey babe I hope you don't mind if I take-” Josh's voice paused as he realized who was witness to our exchange. I could feel him at my back a moment later. I noticed Chad's eyes narrow and I braved a look at Josh quickly.

He was standing behind me with boxers on... nothing else.

I reluctantly turned back to Chad. He was furious. They both were.

“Babe?” Josh's voice said at my ear. “What's he doing here?”

I'm driving her to get her sister since you apparently can't do it.” Chad snapped back at him.

I gritted my teeth. I wanted to slap both of them. There was clearly some issues they needed to work out and they wouldn't be doing it in my apartment. I pushed Chad out of the way so I could start to walk to the car.

“Babe?!” Josh called out. I turned to stare at him. “You forgot your coat.”

I stepped forward, ripped the coat out of his grip much to his obvious surprise, reached inside to the hook for my keys and walked to Chad's truck without a word. I closed the door and sat inside the fading warmth of the car. I knew Chad was pissed, but so was I. What the fuck just happened in there?

A moment later, Chad joined me in the SUV. He didn't turn on the car. Instead, we sat in silence. I didn't look at him, but I could feel his penetrating gaze on me.

His cleared his throat then spoke. “Kay-”

I swung my head around to stare at him. My eyes were emotionless. “Just drive, Chad.”

He nodded and started the ignition. As we pulled out of the parking lot, I noticed Josh standing in the still open doorway to my apartment. Anger shone on his face, but at this point, I couldn't really give a shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
A double update today to make up for the lack of an update yesterday...