Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Lose Control

(Chad's POV)

Monday morning came faster than I would have liked. Rolling over in my bed with a groan, I stared at the clock on my nightstand. The green glow showed that it was barely 8am. Sighing in exhaustion, I tossed the sheets aside and sat up. Running a hand through my messy hair, I thought back on the weekend. Friday night had been Valentine's Day. It had started out like any other normal V-Day for me: Drinking and playing games with my buddies at Bam's house. Everything was going perfectly and then...

Kay had walked in.

When she had arrived, it was clear she wasn't particularly happy. The first thought that had crossed my mind was that Jacaso had broken up with her, but then again... maybe not. I didn't even think Kay considered she and Josh an actual couple. She and Apple had a conversation that I couldn't hear a word of it because of Jimmy's loud ass mouth. I had looked away only for a few moments and then when I returned my gaze to Kay, she was watching me. There was something akin to awe on her face. It was as if she'd seen me for the first time.

I'd approached her and once I knew Jacaso had bailed on her, I did the unthinkable: I asked her to dinner. Thinking back on the night, I smirked. Dinner wasn't really the word for it. We hadn't eaten anything when we'd gotten to John & Peter's. Mostly, we'd pounded back a few beers and talked. It was the best night of my life.

And she had said it'd been the best night of hers.

Sure, she was drunk and probably not really thinking before she spoke, but wasn't that when the truth came out?

Standing up from the bed, I pulled open the curtains to see the sun just peeking over the horizon. It was way too fucking early for me to be awake. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and made my way to the kitchen. Coffee was a necessity and then maybe a shower... I thought back on the rest of the weekend and grimaced.

Yes, a shower was in order.

The kiss that had taken place outside of Kay's apartment had plagued my mind ever since I left her that night. I didn't know why she'd freaked out and slammed the door in my face, but I did know one thing: She craved me just as much as I craved her. That gave me a shred of hope during that dreary morning. It was that and the feelings my body went through at the image of Kay spread out on the bed beneath me that left me unable to sleep or relax. I'd drunk myself to sleep and when I woke up, I'd start drinking again.

Now it was Monday and time to face the world. It was time to face Kay.

An hour later, I pulled my Chevy Traverse, color black, into the bank's parking lot and shut off the engine. Glancing around the lot, I noticed they were slow for a Monday morning. Pocketing my car keys, I climbed from SUV and walked into the bank. The lobby was empty except for an elderly lady who was being helped by one of Kay's coworkers. Kay was nowhere to be seen.

Confused, I glanced towards the offices where her manager, a woman in her mid-forties with graying brunette hair, sat behind a desk with another customer sitting in the chair. Deciding I wouldn't look like an idiot and actually take money out of my account, I went to the wall and starting to fill out a withdrawal slip. A moment later, the door closed as the old woman left. I was alone in the lobby.

With the slip of paper, I walked up to the teller station and slid my withdrawal ticket towards the teller. I gazed at her as she smiled and took the paper. She had a short pixie haircut that was dyed a bleached blonde. Her blue eyes were wide and made to look even bigger by the eyeliner she wore.

“ID?” She asked kindly. My eyes went to her name tag which read 'Jenna'.

I handed her my driver's license and watched as she typed something into the computer. Then I couldn't stop myself from asking what was on my mind, “Where is Kay?”

Her blue eyes glanced up at me in surprise. “Who?”

I thought quickly and shook my head, realizing Kay wouldn't use her nickname at work. “I meant Kristin... your Head Teller?”

“Oh.” She giggled. She handed me the ID and money through the slot in the glass. “She called out this morning. Something about not feeling well.”

She was avoiding me. God dammit.

“Ok thanks anyway.” I turned away to walk from the bank and drive to Kay's place when I noticed I was no longer alone. Someone was waiting in line behind me... someone I knew.

“Hey! Chad, right?” Jaimie, the crazy and slutty friend of Kay and Ames, stood in front of me with a smirk on her face.

“Yeah.” I responded because I didn't know what else to say.

“How are you doing? It seems like forever since I've seen you!” She put her stuff down on the counter for the teller, but her eyes were on me.

“Not since you got your face punched in on New Year's.” I told her. The glare she shot me almost made up for Kay not being there...

“Looking for Kay?” Jaimie asked almost too sweetly. It made my head hurt. It was clear she was enjoying this torture. She glanced around even though it was obvious Kay wasn't around. “Oops! I guess she's too busy avoiding you.”

I gritted my teeth and had to remind myself that Jaimie was of the female sex. Aimee could get away with punching her, but I couldn't. I found myself looking at the teller who was standing there and witnessing my embarrassing moment. She looked horrified at Jaimie's words.

“It's sad how obsessed with her you are, Chad.” Jaimie continued as if I wasn't about to pounce and rip her head off. “It's quite obvious she wants nothing to do with you.”

“Shut up.” I growled just wishing her mouth would disappear.

She got closer to me and my eyes widened at her proximity. “I could take your mind off of her, Chad. Even if it's for one night.”

“Excuse me?”

“You can't tell me that you're not tempted.” Jaimie grabbed her money and then returned her eyes to me. They were mischievous.

When I didn't respond, she sighed.

“At least have one beer with me, Chad. I'll convince you.”

***

I sat up in bed and took in the darkened room around me. This was definitely not my bedroom... or my house for that matter. I glanced to my side and noticed a sleeping form beside me. Jaimie was snoring softly and when I made to push the blankets off of my body, I froze. I wasn't wearing anything at all...

Then it came back to me. My God I didn't know what had compelled me to do so, but I had agreed to the beer. We'd then gone to some bar in Philly that afternoon where we got wasted and then we went back to her place...

And my memories stopped there.

I glanced at Jaimie once more to make sure she was still out before I jumped from the bed and searched for my clothes. I needed to talk to someone and I knew the only person I could confide in when it came to Kay and this fucked up shit..

Aimee.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to give a shout out to Dan for his birthday! I hope everyone enjoyed the chapter!