Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Smitten

(Kay's POV)

My sister, Carina, had called me only the day before to let me know about her acceptance into West Chester University. She was moving to town at the end of July and she'd be starting her classes in August. She hadn't been sure about her living situation until I offered up the bedroom that would be available within a few short weeks. Aimee was officially moving in with Bam in the Castle and I needed a new roommate. It was going to work out perfectly.

I was working the opening shift at the bank with my part time teller, Jenna. She was the cutest nineteen year old you could ever meet.

“Why is everyone going to your window today?” Jenna asked out of nowhere around ten in the morning. “It's as if I don't even exist.”

I glanced from my computer where I was staring at pictures of Grumpy Cat, perhaps too obviously, to my coworker. “Huh?”

Waving towards me, Jenna tried not to appear hurt, but it was obvious the lack of attention was bothering her. “The customers have been going to you.”

“And that's a problem because?” I asked, not really sure I understood.

“I like helping them.”

“You're starting to whine, Jen. It's not an attractive quality.” I told her harshly. The girl frowned and I sighed at the expression. “I'm sorry. It's probably because of the latest episode.”

Jenna's eyes brightened in interest and I inwardly groaned. Dammit. Here it comes. “Episode of what?”

“Viva la Bam.”

Jenna's eyebrows came together in confusion. “What's that?”

That was a first. I don't think I'd ever met someone from West Chester that had never heard of the show before. “Seriously?”

Jenna shrugged and leaned against the counter. I knew the girl was young, but it didn't hit me how young until that moment. God, I was getting old.

“I don't really watch much TV.” She admitted.

“Ever seen Jackass?” I tried again, attempting to figure out something the girl might have seen.

“With that Knoxville hottie? Oh Hell yes.” Jenna's eyes turned glazed at the mention of Johnny. “I could just eat him up.”

“Jen- you do know he's like 40-something right?” I asked, making sure my coworker was sane enough to be handling people's money.

“He's a hot 40-something.” She muttered as a customer entered the bank.

Biting my lip to keep from laughing, I noticed the customer was someone I didn't want to see at the moment. Averting my eyes to my computer screen as if I didn't notice her, I clicked onto more pictures of Grumpy Cat.

“Kay?”

Grinding my teeth to keep from lashing out, I brought my green eyes up to meet the devil's. “Jaimie. It's been a while.”

With a broad smile, she walked up to my station, completely ignoring poor Jenna. I flashed an apologetic smile to the young woman before returning my gaze to Jaimie. She was in her usual slut-wear with ugly shoes. Her dark hair was now cut shorter though and I had to admit, as much as it killed me, the short hair looked better on her.

“That's an understatement. How've you been?” She asked, as if she actually cared about how I was. “Saw the new episode last night. You and Aimee seem to have the guys wrapped around your fingers, huh?”

“I have no idea what you're talking about.” I said as I pulled the deposit slip and check from her hand.

Jaimie leaned in to keep Jenna from overhearing her next words. “Chad seems genuinely smitten with you. Better jump on that before someone else does.”

I handed her the receipt and gave her a fake smile. “Have a wonderful day.”

Jaimie, with a smug expression on her face, left without another word. As the door swung shut behind her, Jenna glanced at me with wide eyes, “I really need to watch this show.”