Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Maybe, Maybe Not

(Kay's POV)

Aimee and I were sitting at the island in the kitchen enjoying freshly baked muffins and coffee when a blast of cold air interrupted our comfortable warmth at Bam's entrance. It had been snowing the last 24 hours and didn't look as if it were going to let up. I had taken shelter in the Castle with my best friend and her boyfriend. Apple and Novak were spending the night there as well and we'd decided that later that night we were going to make s'mores and drink Jack Daniels. To me, it sounded like the best night ever.

“How's the driveway?” Aimee asked him as he pulled off his gloves.

“Icy. I'm going to have someone come over in the morning and salt it.” Shrugging out of his coat, he hung it up on the hanger and turned to face us. Seeing the food, he popped one of the mini muffins into his mouth. “How is it in here?”

“I got the heat up enough where we won't freeze half to death.” Aimee responded as she held her cup of coffee towards her face. The steam was heating up her cheeks.

“Cool. I'll start a fire by the pirate bar.” Bam grabbed another muffin before shuffling into the next room to get to work.

Once he was out of earshot, I looked towards my friend with wide eyes. “Is he actually domesticated?”

Aimee laughed at the question. “If you could call it that. It's the most he's done in the last month.”

“It's a start.” I said with a smirk. “I can't believe St. Patrick's Day will be here in less than three weeks. It feels like New Year's was last week.”

“I know.” Aimee agreed, taking her empty mug back to the coffee pot. “I've been in the house for so long already. It's unreal.” Once she had a refill, she returned to her seat at the island. “How's the single life?”

I snorted without humor. “You seriously did not just ask that.”

“What?” Aimee asked in confusion. “You split with Josh and I know you haven't gotten with Chad so I'm assuming you're still single. Was I wrong?”

I shook my head with a frown. “No. You weren't.”

“Then what's the problem?”

This was probably the hardest conversation of my life. Or at least, currently. “It's just that I want to be single, but then again, I don't. I've never been so unsure of something before.”

“Because of Chad?” Aimee guessed. “You can be honest with me. I know the guy has stalker status when it comes to you.”

“Yes, but the weirdest part of the whole thing is he hasn't spoken to me since the kiss.”

“The one on Valentine's Day?” Aimee said to confirm.

“It's the only one we've had.” I grumbled at her.

She smiled at me. “Just making sure is all.”

I ignored her comment. Instead, I sighed and put my chin in my hand. “It's like he's avoiding me.”

Aimee gave me a sympathetic look. “I think the truth of the situation is you are avoiding each other.”

“How is that? He's been around here hasn't he?”

Chad was avoiding me? Was that even possible? The man didn't shy away from anything.

Bam's footsteps sounded his return to the kitchen. “Chad's been here, Kay. But he always makes sure you aren't going to be before he arrives. It's totally obvious he is worried about running into you.” Looking from me to Ames, he said, “The fire's started babe.”

Aimee smiled gratefully before returning to the conversation. “It's true. There were days I was tempted just to call you over to see him freak.”

“I'm surprised he trusts the two of you at all.” I muttered, wrapping my arms around my body.

“He cares, Kay. It scares a man like Chad to care like that about someone.” Bam said, walking around to wrap his arms around Ames' waist and lean his head on her shoulder. “I know it scared me.”

I dropped my gaze to my coffee mug and watched the steam rise out of it. It was becoming clear to me. The feelings I'd been having, the confusion over what to do about Chad and my reluctance to reach out to him were starting to make sense. Chad was scared because he cared about me so much... I felt the exact same way and since the both of us were so stubborn, we were hurting ourselves instead of being together.

“I'm an idiot.”

“Yes, you are.” Bam said without hesitation. “But it's not like you can do much about that right now. So instead of worrying about how stupid you've been, I have a proposition.”

“Why do those words scare me?” I asked with a wry smile.

“Because it's Bam.” Aimee said with a shake of her head. “Let's at least hear him out.”

I laughed, but nodded.

Bam, with a grim expression, let go of Aimee so he could look between us. “I'll never win.”

“Nope, but continue.” His girlfriend said flippantly. She was clearly enjoying the torture.

Bam huffed and put his hands in the pockets of his jeans. “Well, I was thinking at the St. Pat's show in a few weeks, you girls could, ya know, open for CKY.”

The request was met with silence. Then we burst out at the same time:

“What?”

“Excuse me?”

Bam glanced at me then Aimee with an open mouthed expression. “What's wrong?”

“You want us to... what?”

“Open for CKY.”

“Bam, babe, we don't sing.” Aimee told him as if he weren't all there in the head.

“It doesn't mean you can't.” He countered, determined.

I met Aimee's gaze and said, “Well, I don't know...”

“We could.” My friend responded, quickly catching on to what I was doing.

“But then again, it might not be a good idea.” I said before smirking.

Bam threw up his hands in his frustration. “Dammit you girls are going to drive me insane!”

Our laughter followed him as he stormed out of the room.