Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Fired

(Kay's POV)

“So I watched the new episode of Viva la Bam last night and OMG!” Jenna gasped with a hand to her mouth. “Seeing what you did to April's house for Christmas... how did you get away with that?”

I couldn't help myself. I laughed at the enthusiasm. “You don't know half of it. There was more later on that MTV couldn't even show.”

Jenna's mouth was wide open in amazement. “Tell me!”

“Maybe off the clock.” I said with a shake of my head and a smile on my face. I was slowly corrupting another human being and it made me feel accomplished. Did that make me a horrible person?

“What's the deal with you and Chad?” Jenna asked next. It was the last thing I expected to hear come out of her mouth.

I paused in counting out money to a customer to refocus my thoughts. I finished what I was doing before turning to Jenna. “What do you mean?”

“I mean on the show it's clear the two of you enjoy hanging out and he was in here like two weeks ago looking for you.”

“He was here?” I asked, flabbergasted. “When?”

Jenna opened her mouth to respond when the door opened. The next few moments were the scariest of my life. Three figures dressed head to toes in black with ski masks covering their faces entered the bank. Clearly a robbery was about to take place and I'd never had experience in dealing with one. I glanced at Jenna and she backed away from her teller station. I then watched as one of the people, a really tall one at that, stood over by the writing station. The chubby one stood near the door as if he were keeping everyone inside the bank. The shortest of the group, clearly a female, approached my station without a word. Taking a deep breath, I glanced at her before returning my eyes to my monitor. The robber slid a slip of paper towards me and I grabbed it without hesitation. As I read what was on it, however, I felt anger burst forth. It was a withdrawal slip for a hundred dollars... from Heather Dolbey's checking account.

Crumpling the paper up in my grip, I heard Jenna gasp, clearly not realizing what was happening. “How stupid can you be?”

There were no other customers in the bank, but I still kept my anger in check. Jenna didn't have experience dealing with Clubby... I did. I glanced around the bank at her two accomplices knowing who would have gone in on this with her.

“Brandon? Jimmy?” Both men glanced at me, with masks still on, but it was clear their 'joke' was over. “Do you know what kind of laws you are breaking by just 'pretending' to rob a place?”

“But we aren't really... besides, we know Bam-” Heather began before I cut her off.

“Bam can't keep you out of prison!” I told her loudly.

My manager came out of her office a moment later with her arms up in the air. “The police are on their way.”

My eyes widened. Why would anyone tell a robber that? “Shit.”

Heather, pulling off her ski mask and tossing it on the counter, turned to face my new boss. “Does this look like a face who would rob a bank?”

“Heather...” I warned the crazy one knowing full well what was about to happen. Either way, Clubby was fucked when the police showed up.

My boss heard me though I tried to keep my words quiet. “Heather?” Glancing between us, dawning came over my boss. “Do you know this woman?”

I nodded, but didn't speak. I didn't have to because Heather grabbed the wrinkled withdrawal slip from my hand and held it up towards the manager. “I am a customer! I have every right to come in here to take out my money.”

Putting her hands on her hips, my manager glared in Heather's direction. “And I have a right to ban those who cause trouble from my branch. Which includes you,” Glancing at the two men who had yet to move, speak or take off their masks, she continued, “Plus anyone who is friends with a person such as yourself.”

Heather, not realizing what she was doing, pointed at me. “Kay is my friend! She can vouch for me.”

Jenna was terrified as the realization of how truly screwed the situation was came over her. She shook her head at Heather, but the idiot didn't notice.

My manager, looking smug, walked towards the teller counter without taking her eyes from me. “Is this true?”

I didn't speak and she took my silence for confirmation.

“Very well. I guess today will be your last day at this bank. You're fired Kristin.”

Heather's eyes widened as the truth of what she did hit her. “Kay-”

Slamming my drawer closed, I logged off my computer and prepared to leave. “This is why I didn't tell you Heather.”

“I'm sorry.” She said, for the first time in her life sincerely. “I'll talk to your boss. I'll fix it.”

Meeting her gaze angrily, I said the only thing I could without cursing her out. “You've done quite enough, Clubby.”