Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Muffin and the Margera Girls

(Kay's POV)

Abbey had taken the single song I'd written to bring it to Chad and I was left pondering what the Hell was going to happen next. I was so nervous about the fallout with everything that all I did while home was pace the length of the apartment. Deciding I need a distraction, I called up Jess to ask him the weirdest of requests. I wanted to take his daughters out shopping. He hadn't paused when he'd taken me up on my offer.

I was strolling through the Exton Square Mall, the closest mall to West Chester, with the two Margera daughters following me. Ava, Jess and his wife's oldest, held her younger sister's hand. At eight and six, the two girls were wonderful. They could have been twins if there wasn't two years between them. Blonde hair, big blue eyes and fair skin with a smattering of freckles along their noses... they were so definitely their father's children.

“Kay!” Ava called from behind so I'd pause.

Turning, I met her bright eyes and smiled. “What is it, honey?”

“Can we go into the pet store?” She asked, her voice sweet, perhaps too sweet. Bam had taught her well.

“What did you need to go in there for?” Two could play this game.

She paused, clearly not expecting my question. I was sure many people, her grandparents and uncle included, had given up asking questions to anything she wanted. “I want to look at the kitties.”

I smiled at her effort. “Sure.” Turning to her sister, I held my hand out. “Lead the way. Scarlett and I will follow.”

Scarlett took my hand without comment and we followed as Ava lead us to the pet store. The sound of barking met my ears and I had to keep myself from cringing. I hated these places. Whenever I walked into one, I had the sudden urge to scoop up every furry critter and take it home. I began to wonder if Ava knew that.

“Daddy said he'd get me a new kitty.” Ava said as she pressed her nose to the glass separating her from the cats.

“What about Bardot? I thought Daddy bought her for you?” I told her as I squatted next to her to peer into the cage. Scarlett didn't speak as she watched us.

“He bought her for Scarlett.” Ava glanced at me with a pout on her lips. “But he said I could have one.”

I glanced at Scarlett, but the younger of the two turned away to walk towards the dogs. There was nothing like being abandoned by a six year old. Frowning, I peered in at the cats again. “Your dad didn't say anything to me...”

“Then keep it at your place!” Ava said with a grin. “I'll come visit all the time!”

The thought of Ava and Scarlett Margera coming to visit at all times of the day floated through my mind and terrified me. What the two of them could be capable of, I had no clue. I knew, though, as her blue eyes peered at me sadly, I would give in. Dammit Jess.

“Which one?” I said in defeat. I knew Jess and Kelly wouldn't let the cat stay with them. They already had two plus their two dogs... I'd have to keep the cat at my place which meant more work, but then again, I wouldn't be alone in the place anymore.

Knowing she'd won, Ava happily pointed to a calico cat at the far end of the cage. “That one!”

I had to admit she had good taste in animals. The cat was the prettiest looking calico cat I'd seen in a long time. I waved down an associate to help me with the papers. When I'd been asked for a name, I glanced at the girls, who were now picking out toys for my new cat.

“What should we name her?” I asked, not caring who answered. I couldn't get them back to Jess fast enough.

“Muffin!” Scarlett called out while Ava nodded next to her.

Sighing, I turned to the associate. “Muffin it is.”

She looked at me oddly, but didn't respond. Once I'd paid the $100 for the cat plus the extra $50 for all of the crap that I had to get for the animal, I turned back around and faced my conspirators. “Are we ready?”

They took each others hands and skipped out of the store with me on their heels, the cat in a carrier. I didn't know how I'd explain this experience to Jesse, but I was positive he'd find it hilarious.