The Willow

Chapter 2

Crying, she fled the house. Completely distraught, she could think of no place to run to, so she let her feet and instincts guide her. As soon as her feet rounded that corner, she knew exactly where she was headed to; the willow tree.
“A couple more steps, Thisbee, just a few more seconds, you’ll be there in no time. You can make it.”
Finally, she arrived at the tree and dashed through the protective branches, into the security and privacy of the only place she felt safe. Sobbing, she tugged fistfuls of grass from below her knees, trying to release her frustration. She buried her face in her hands.
“I am not a freak. I’m special. It’s not my fault. I’m beautiful.”
She continued to try to reassure herself, chanting as if she believed if she said it enough, it would be true. Inhaling sharply, a she brought a nagging idea to the front of her mind.
She then pulled her knees up to her chest and wiped the salty tears from her moist cheeks. She brought her arms out in front of her, placing her wrists together and making a cupping formation with her hands. She closed her eyes exhaled slowly. As she did, two small birds shot out from her hands. They circled around the shade of the willow, hidden by the secure arms of the tree.
They dove and twisted and spun, doing a beautiful dance that only Thisbee could understand. One of the birds dove straight towards her, zooming straight through her hair making it fly up into her face and the air. She let out a soft giggle, put at ease by her creations.
She breathed out another airy laugh, tossing her head back and shutting her eyes. She lay back into the soft grass and opened her eyes to stare up at the tree trunk. She watched her birds play under the security of her tree and never felt more like herself; never felt more beautiful.
Now calmed down, she got to her feet, and parted the branches, opening up to the outside world. Behind her, the thrumming birds flew out and into the real world. She watched as they glided and flapped, further and further, until they disappeared into the horizon. A quaint, half-smile slowly made its way onto her face. She stepped out of the protective hold of the willow tree and just stood there; breathing in the world. For a few moments, she felt at peace.
Then, she opened her eyes and began to make her way back home. Out of the park, around the corner, up the street, and back to her front door. Pausing, she froze and wondered if she really wanted to be back in that house or under the protection of her tree. She longed to stay under it forever. Sighing heavily, she turned the knob, stepped inside, and closed the door behind her.