The Willow

Chapter 3

She waited until there was nothing but the sound of deep, slow breathing throughout her house. Fully dressed, she stood up and tiptoed silently to her bedroom window. The click of the lock sounded like a bomb in the silence of the still household. She glanced around like a culprit about to be caught. Slowly, she slid her window up, cringing as the old window creaked on its ascent. She was so close. She put one foot out onto the windowsill, the other following. She gripped the house as she stepped on the top of the window, using it as leverage to climb onto her rooftop. On her hands and knees, she crawled until she was directly in the center of the roof. Then lay flat on her back, hands behind her head, and gazed at the stars.
So much had happened in the last couple of months and she just needed a moment to take it all in. She let out a shaky breath, on the brink of tears; one fell slowly down her face. Her chest felt so heavy with all of her problems. Everyone vented to her, and each time they did, her chest got a bit tighter. How much more could she take?
She shut her eyes tightly, trying to keep the tears at bay. She gripped at her chest, crumpling into the fetal position, aching to just rip the pain out. She just wanted to be alright. Nothing could fix it. Her voice and true opinions would never be heard. She was so afraid of hurting others, that she hurt herself in the process of keeping others safe; and was starting to eat at her. What would happen if it went any further? What if her light started to dim?
The stars would never allow that, though, for she was one of their own. Her essence was of that of a star. She held the light inside her heart, but with every emotional blow she suffered, her light dimmed. Her magic was continuing to diminish. Crying on her rooftop, Thisbee began to glow. Not anything eye catching, but her soul began to radiate. She began to cough, and shivered violently. She pushed her palms flat on the roof, and stood up in a strained gesture. She extended an arm out towards the sky, taking in all they were giving her. Her glow began to diminish, but her palms remained warm. Her soul was reawakened and alive again. She let out one more shaky breath, rubbing the area that she had tried to claw through.
She began to climb back into the window; back into her room. She changed her clothes back into pajamas, and gracefully slid into bed. As she fell asleep, the stars shined brighter, knowing their little light would continue to burn brightly, and knowing that they could always help her, through the darkest time.