Shot Wide

Three

After a painful drive through town trying to find the right saxophone reeds, I finally found what I was looking for, and drove home. As I walked towards my door, I saw that it had been taped shut, with hockey tape. I took the jack knife out of my bag, and cut it straight down the middle, and unlocked my door.

I had forgotten that one of my sports bag's was in my car, and I hadn't been to the gym in a few weeks since moving in. I walked into my room, dumping my bag in my closet, and a green bag caught my eye. I walked over, picking up the heafty duffle, and brought it to my bed. It was all of my hockey stuff. Skates, pads, pucks, helmet, and my sticks.

I ran my hand over all of the equipment, reminiscing times where I used the equipment. I sighed, and got up. I went to go to my kitchen, but I looked back at my hockey bag. Without thinking, I went back and grabbed the bag, and got my keys again, headed to the park to skate on the public rink.

It was the middle of January, so I grabbed a jacket, and walked out my door. My bag was heavy, and I had totally forgotten about its weight. As I set the bag down to hit the elevator button, it opened up, and none other than Patrick Kane walked through.

I tried going unnoticed with my hockey bag, so I quickly picked it up again, and walked into the open doors. He did a double take, and said, "that's a hockey bag. What are you doing with a hockey bag?"

I lunged for the close button, but Patrick was already in the elevator with me, unzipping my bag. "What are you doing?" I said to Patrick, as he picked up my silver Bauer skates.

"These have been broken in well, someone who skates on the left lead, and needs their skates as sharp as they can get them." He went to throw the skate across the slow elevator, when I grabbed at it, but having to move first.

"Can I please have the skate back." I didn't look him in the eye, I just wanted it back in the bag.

"So, what position did, or do you play." I stood in front of me, and I'm guessing he would not leave until I answer him. Well, two could play at that game,

I avoided his eye contact, and he went through my bag again, looking in the side pocket where I kept most of my pucks. I had hat trick pucks, first goal pucks, and winning pucks.

The door had closed, and I hadn't even noticed that it had opened. I went to hit the open button again, and Patrick went to hit our floor number. I tried out muscling him to hit the open button, but in the end, he hit the dainty seven, and we were on our way back up.

"Fine. I play anything. I do skate on the left lead, I shoot left, I played for UVM for a little bit, and have played on my state youth team, and some men's league's in the summer. If my skate's aren't sharp, I am not as fast as I could be. Now leave me to be please." I sounded like I was begging, and he felt like a brother that was trying to be obnoxious.

"Nice to know. By the way, I'm Patrick Kane. And you are...?"

Was he serious right now? "Are you frigging kidding me. Are you so engulfed in yourself that someone that plays hockey wouldn't know who the hell you are."

"Fine. So you know who I am, who are you?" He stepped in front of me, and demanded my answer as we walked out of the elevator.

"My name is Sophia. I'm a music major, twenty years old. As you now know, I play hockey." I stopped as soon as we were out of the elevator, waiting for his reaction.

"Oh. That's why you were making all of that noise."

"Yes. I will be auditioning for the Chicago Philharmonic."

Patrick gave me a confused look, so I shook my head and walked around him to my door. "Your coming to my party, right?"

I looked at him and said, "no."

He ran over and said, "please, please, please, please, please, please, please come. It must suck always playing music. And, I have beer, and hockey players."

I couldn't believe I was going to say this, but, "fine. I will go, one hour tops. I mean it."

"Come at nine. And you'll stay longer. I guarantee it." He walked right away, and into his condo.

----------------------------------------------------

I knocked on Patrick's door, and heard music rumbling in the background. Within seconds, a man with a stern look on his face, and brown eye's looked at me and said, "are you Sophia?"

I nodded yes, and he moved so I could walk in. Jonathan Toew's just let me in. What a night this was going to be. All I could see were hockey players. They were literally everywhere. And not just Blackhawks, there were some Red Wings, Bruins, and Canadians.

I knew the All Star weekend was coming up, and was being held in Chicago, but was it really this coming weekend?

I stood their dumbfounded when the Captain of the Blackhawks gently took my wrist and brought me over to the living room area looking place, where I noticed a head full of blonde curls sitting on the couch playing video games.

"Kane, I think your guest arrived." Jonathan let go of my wrist, and went back into the sea of hockey players.

"You finally showed up! I was beginning to think that you were not going to show up." He was such a nimrod.

"Yes, the video games could have filled my absence." I said back to him, hoping to make an impact. Corey sat on the opposite end of the couch, and he waved at me.

"No, well, maybe yes? Whatever, just come sit down and help me beat Corey at this stupid game." He moved over so I would be sitting in between the arm of the chair, and himself.

I reluctantly went over, and sat down on the couch. If I was going to sit on a couch, and be practically forced to watch hockey players play video games, I was going to be comfortable. I took off my boots, and pulled my feet under me, having them touch the back of Patrick's legs.

He looked over at me and said sarcastically, "comfortable?"

I replied with, "like I'm on a vacation."

"Good." He went back to his game, and I just kind of took things in. The players came into the living room, and were becoming engulfed in the game, hooking more controllers up to the game console, and more beers were being passed around.

I noticed that Patrick's beer was on the other side of me, so I grabbed it, and took a drink from it. He must have noticed because he said, "of course we can share. Thanks for asking."

I gently elbowed him in the side, and shivered, mentally hitting myself in the head. I was wearing a summer tank top, and never put a cardigan on over it.

Next thing I knew, Patrick was getting up, and walked away, mumbling that he would be right back. I moved over on the couch, giving myself more room, and a lot of the guys just stared at me. That's when I realized. I was the only girl there.

Feeling super awkward, I picked up my boots and headed to this front door. Before I could put my hand on the nob,I felt two hands on my hips, and I was being hoisted in the air.

"What the fuck?" I looked over, and Patrick had picked me up, and we were headed back to the living room. He gently set me down on the couch, and threw a Blackhawks sweatshirt at my face. He sat back down next to me, but this time, much closer. Close enough for when I went to put on the sweatshirt, I accidently hit him in the head with my elbow.

After I situated myself back on the couch, he inconspicuously leaned over and whispered in my ear, "thanks for coming tonight. And I'm sorry for what happened earlier."