Shot Wide

Four

I sat next to Patrick, who was too engulfed in his video game to notice me keep taking sips off of his beer. I could feel his bicep contracting when he moved his body, following the movement on the flat screen. I kept noticing a small group of guys watching me from the entry way of the large living room. Tyler Seguin, Nick Hjalmarsson, and Jonathan Toews were talking to each other, and what they thought was inconspicuous, they kept looking at me, and talking.

If they thought that it was awkward for them to be here with only one girl, they should try being that one girl. I knew half of the guys in here were making comments about how they would love to fuck me, but I just ignored them. I was here because I would not be able to live the annoyance of Patrick Kane, and this would be an opportunity to actually meet people in Chi-town.

I got up, and walked over to the Captain, and his little band of players. Before I could open my mouth to say anything, Jonathan took a step towards me and said, “so, how did you meet Kaner. He say's that he met you by screaming at you to stop making noise, but none of us buy that story.”

I stared at him with frustration in my eye's, “the fact that you doubt that is humorous. Yes, that is how we met. About nine hours ago. Then, he was an ass for an entire elevator ride, ripping apart my hockey bag, which I'm sure your all aware of. Now go back to gossiping, and pay whoever made a bet with you-the bet that you just lost.”

I couldn't believe how blunt these idiots were being. I needed something stronger than beer, and quickly. I left the three idiots there, and walked into Patrick's kitchen. There were some players over in the corner, so I went through the freezer, and some of the cupboards, looking for anything.

“Ignore Jonathan. He has been an ass the entire night.” Tyler Seguin came in, and perched himself up on the counter, next to the cupboard I just destroyed.

“Planned on it.” I didn't look at him, I just went to the fridge and got another beer, giving up on anything harder.

“Um, are you old enough?”

“I'm older than you, so shouldn't I be asking you that?” I was cold towards anyone right now, I don't know what it was. I just pulled the sleeves of Patrick's hoodie down so it completely covered my hands, and I set the beer down on the counter.

“Fine.” He walked away, looking defeated. I felt bad for snapping at him like that, but who was anyone to judge me like that. I worked just as hard as him, only I worked with music, not pucks.

I sat down on the hard wood floor, taking in everything. I was in Patrick Kane's condo, I have been talking to some of the most famous people in sports. I hadn't drank since I was UVM, I was wearing Patrick Kane's sweatshirt, and it smelled so good. Emphasis on the so.

Pavel Datsyuk came in, and jumped a good foot in the air when he saw me just sitting on the floor, staring forward. “I'm sorry,” I stated as I got up, “little bit of a moment there. Are you okay?”

He recovered and looked at me saying, “I'm fine. Patrick may not be, he noticed that you got up and left, and you made three young players very weary of talking or referencing to your existence.” His Russian accent was steal clear, and I just laughed it off.
“They don't know how to communicate with normal people.” I took my beer again, and walked back into the living room.

“Hey! Where did you go? I thought that I was going to have to go bombard your apartment to get you back in here!” Why was he yelling, and why was he so happy to see me. It had been maybe five minutes.

“I'm sure that you would have sufficed without me.” I sat back down on the couch, but this time I sat in between Patrick and Corey. Patrick had given his controller away, but Corey was still completely engulfed in the game.

Patrick pushed his way over to me, so there was not a molecule of air in between us. I pulled me knee's up, and wrapped my arms around them. Patrick brought his arm up, and began slowly rubbing my back.

This continued for ten minutes until Daniel Alfredsson made a toast to the All-Star Weekend, and how much fun it was going to be for everyone. They all cheered, and I finished the beer that I had.

“Your going, right?” Patrick was looking at me, like it was a sure thing.

“I wasn't planning on it. I was just going to work on some papers.”

“No, you have to come. I will get you the best tickets, for all three night. Please come.” He looked at me with those blue eye's, and I knew that saying no was going to be hard.

“Put the poor guy of out his misery.” Damn that Corey Crawford for saying that.

“Fine. I'll go. But I'm bringing my Mac, and I'm doing work during it. Do not argue with me.”
He shut up, and moved his hand back to my lower back.

I laid my head on his shoulder, and yawned, knowing that I needed to get sleep. The time change was killing me, and I had class tomorrow.

I stayed for fifteen more minutes, until I finally said, “I've got to go. I'm tired, and I have class tomorrow. Bye.”

“You can't go!” I gave him a look and he said, “fine, at least let me walk you over.”

I laughed and said, “yes, the whole ten feet.” Corey hit me in the arm, and gave me a look telling me not to push it. What the hell? I gave him daggers back, and walked out to the door with Patrick on my heels.

“Here, let me put my number in your phone.” I reluctantly handed over my iPhone, and he turned it back over so I could put my password in. He quickly put his number in, and handed it back to me. He gave me a goofy smile, that made his eye's radiate blue.

I smiled back at him as he hugged me as I opened my door. As we detached, I called his phone so he would have my number. When he answered I said, “let me go change sweatshirts so you can have this one back.”
He looked back at me and said, “keep it. I have plenty more that I can break in.”

I smiled and did something so irresponsibly stupid I wanted to slap myself. I took Patrick's hands, and gently kissed his lips. Without hesitation, he kissed me back, moving his hands to my sides to pull me closer to him.

I had never been kissed this before. So much...passion. I tangled my fingers in his blonde curly hair, when I heard another door close, and they said, “shit, cat's out of the bag now.”