Written In The Sand

Chapter 7.

“I’ve seen you before, you were at one of the rugby matches I was playing,” Liam said as she wiped a hand over her mouth. She’d just downed her second glass and was about to pour another when Liam took the glass away. She shot him what she thought was an angry glare but Liam only laughed. “You’re drunk.”

“Not that drunk,” Olivia retorted but even as she said it she felt one of her heels slip on the wet tiles of the kitchen floor.

“Steady!” Liam grabbed her arm, only letting go once she was firmly grounded. “You look like you could do with some fresh air,” he said smoothly.

Olivia nodded her head. She couldn’t understand why the floor wouldn’t stay still, it zig-zagged and criss-crossed and waved like a kaleidoscope. Liam grabbed her drink and led her out the kitchen door into the backyard. Lights had been set up round the perimeter of the garden, illuminating the few smokers sitting at a bench, a halo of smoke engulfing them. Olivia coughed as she passed them.

“Over here,” Liam said as he walked across the grass towards the high garden wall that ran along one side of the garden, obscured from view by a tree. Olivia leant against it, the stone cooling her back as she tilted her head up to the sky. It was an inky black and as Olivia watched a red light flashed across it – an aeroplane. There wasn’t a single star.

Liam took a swig from her bottle. “Hey that’s mine,” Olivia moaned.

“I think you’ve had enough,” Liam grinned but didn’t fight her when she grabbed it and raised it to her lips. The liquid ran smoothly down her throat endlessly, cold and sweet.

Liam stepped in front of her, “Now you’ve definitely had enough,” he said and after taking it from her, placed it on the wall. His whole body was pressing against her, his belt digging into her stomach, trapping her between him and the wall. Olivia’s heart started to pound. She tried to raise her hands to his chest to push him away but he was too close and too strong.

His lips searched for her neck as he pinned her to the wall. Olivia could smell the beer and weed on him as she struggled against his grip.

“Gerr’’off,” she grumbled trying to shove him away. Her head collided with the wall behind her and lights appeared in front of her eyes. In her confusion, Liam’s lips found her. Hungrily, they pressed against hers, chapped and far too rough. She felt fingers on the side of her bare thighs as he lifted her skirt up a fraction.

“Don’t,” she mumbled as Liam went back to her neck, biting it, his hand slowly pulling the skirt further up. “I said stop!” she shouted, her voice ringing loudly in the still night as his hand brushed against her underwear.

All of a sudden, Liam was dragged off. She blinked furiously as she tried to focus on what was happening.

“You fucking prick,” Sean was seething as he squared up to Liam, grinding his teeth furiously.

“What’s your problem mate?” Liam was trying to laugh it off, looking for reassurance from the small group Sean had come out with, “She’s fair game!”

“Olivia!” a drunken Mae squealed as she ran over in her bare feet, her heels in her hands. “Are you ok?”

Olivia nodded, barely registering Mae’s words. Her head was a blur, searing with pain from where it had hit the wall.

“She said to stop, you twat,” Sean was furious, almost frothing with fury as he barged shoulders with Liam.

“Piss off,” Liam shoved Sean away from him before storming back into the house, fists clenched.

Lottie and Poppy had rushed over, attracted by the mayhem of people. “Come on Olivia, come back inside,” Lottie said, her words slurring slightly. She draped an arm round Olivia, who was still leaning against the wall in a daze, and was about to take her back into the house when Sean stopped them.

“I think Olivia should go home,” Sean reasoned. His anger had subsided now, replaced with anxiety.

Lottie tutted, pursing her lips into a tight line, “And I guess you want to be the one to take her then do you?” her grip tightening round Olivia. Lottie had never forgiven Sean for the photo incident.

He shrugged his shoulders, “I will if none of you will,” he said, “Do you want to go home Livy?”

“Yeah, please?” she replied. She didn’t want to stay here any longer. Never had she had a worse time than she had tonight.

“You sure?” Lottie asked, “Just come and dance and you’ll feel ok?”

“Well you’re obviously not willing to take her then,” Sean said, “Come on,” he reached out his hand and Olivia grabbed it.

“If you try anything with her, I’ll fucking kill you,” Poppy growled.

“Maybe we should take her home?” Lottie queried, looking worried.

Sean laughed impatiently. “Look I’ve just dragged one guy off her –“

“Sean can take me home,” Olivia said growing tired of the quarrel, “I’ll be fine,” she assured the girls who were eyeing Sean suspiciously.

“Text me when you’re there,” Lottie said and the three of them left leaving Sean and Olivia alone.

“You ok?” Sean asked as they walked around the back of the house to where a side gate led out to the front.

“Yeah, thanks,” Olivia said and shivered as the cold sunk in.

“Fuck, all our stuff is in there,” Sean smacked his head with his palm as they came out into the front of the house, “Stay here while I go get everything,” he said and dashed off.

Olivia sat on the front steps, curling her arms round her in an attempt to stay warm. Automatically, she shunted to the side when two people passed her.

“Olivia,” came a familiar sneer and Olivia’s head snapped up. Laura, clad in an ill-fitting dress, was clinging to Jack’s arm. He looked uncomfortable as he shifted from foot to foot.

“Laura,” she said forcing a smile. She swallowed a lump in her throat before looking at Jack, “Hi, Jack,” she said barely audibly.

“Jack and I were just getting some air,” Laura simpered with a giggle as she squeezed his bicep. Jack didn’t say a word, just stared, obsolete at the ground.

“Guess I’m not the only one who moves on quickly,” Olivia said in a drunken, sarcastic snipe at Jack. She’d never want to make things more uncomfortable with Jack but seeing him there with Laura cut a fresh wound for Olivia.

Jack didn’t even look at her as he replied, “Well least I’m not going about with pricks like Sean Roxburgh and that Liam.”

His words were said with no feeling, just nonchalance and indifference.

“I’m not going about with anybody -,” Olivia started as Laura smirked.

Just then Sean came out his arms laden with his and Olivia’s things. He stopped dead when he saw Jack.

“Sure you’re not,” Jack said, his eyes never leaving Sean who awkwardly handed Olivia her bag, “I thought you had more self-respect.”

Olivia opened her mouth to stop him as he and Laura walked off, Laura giggling whilst casting smug looks over her shoulder at Olivia. No words could come out.

“Come on, let’s get you home,” Sean said, reaching out a hand to help her up, “We can get a taxi.”

“What time is it?” Olivia asked as they walked down the path and onto the street. Apart from the music from the house, the street was silent with not a sole in sight.

Sean looked at his phone before giving a short laugh, “It’s only just past twelve! You are such a lightweight,” he joked with a twinkle in his eyes.

“I think I drank too much too fast,” Olivia said feeling her cheeks blush with embarrassment. The she realised what time he’d said and her eyes widened with alarm, “Twelve!?”

Sean laughed, “Yuhuh.”

“I can’t go home now, my parents were down near the border today for a wedding, they said they’d be back about now- they’ll be awake!” she panicked. There was no way she could go home to her parents when she was this intoxicated.

Sean frowned, “Will they mind you being pissed?” he asked as they came out onto the main street. A black taxi passed and Sean groaned when he saw it didn’t have its yellow light on.

“Well they don’t mind me drinking, just not too much,” Olivia said hiccoughing. Her hiccoughs amused Sean, who gave her a broad grin.

“Uhh Olivia,” Sean rubbed the back of his neck anxiously, “I’m not being weird or anything but you can stay at mine, you can take my bed and I’ll sleep on the sofa, promise,” he rambled and Olivia found his nervousness funny, sure that he was usually a lot more confident when inviting girls back. But then again, he definitely wasn’t sleeping on any sofas when they did.

It was less than ideal but Olivia couldn’t really see any other option, “Ok.”

As they hailed a cab, Olivia thought miserably of the night. She had hoped tonight would have been a good laugh with the girls but instead she’d received unwanted attention from Liam, Jack had cooped off with Laura and here she was getting a cab back to Sean Roxburgh’s place. After attracting a taxi, they stumbled in and Olivia turned her attention to Sean. “You can’t tell anyone I stayed at yours,” she mumbled, her cheeks blushing at just the thought of what people would presume if they heard.

The cab stopped outside a house very much like Olivia’s but smaller in size and with a lot more plants. A tabby cat was strutting across the low wall, eyeing Olivia with curiosity as she climbed out of the taxi, almost tripping on the kerb.

Sean paid the driver before going up to the cat and scooping it up, “Hello Tilly!” he said cheerfully and Olivia watched in amazement as he gave the small cat a huge bear hug, snuggling his face into its fur.

“Is that your cat?” she asked incredulously. Behind her the taxi drove off.

“Is indeed, my little baby,” he said and the cat purred. Olivia giggled before Sean shushed her.

“You need to be quiet, my mum will be asleep,” he said as he walked up to the door with Tilly the tabby cat still in his arms. Silently, Olivia tottered after him and waited patiently as he opened the door and let her in. The hallway was dark but Olivia could make out the shapes of bookshelves and a chest of drawers. She turned to Sean who pointed up the stairs. Slipping off her heels, she tiptoed up the stairs. She held on very tight to the banister as she still felt very drunk. One she reached the top, she swayed slightly before feeling Sean’s hand on her back.

“It’s just in there,” Sean hissed and nodded his head to the first door on the left. They went in and Sean flicked the light switch. A large double bed dominated the room, its red covers neat and crisp. Standing underneath the window, a desk stood with textbooks and jotters sprawled across it. There were a few posters of bands on the white walls and a guitar leaning against a small sofa – Olivia hadn’t realised he played the guitar. A wardrobe stood in one corner, one of its doors wide open to reveal the neatly ironed clothes inside.

“It’s very tidy,” Olivia observed sitting down on the bed and rubbing her sore ankles.

Sean smirked, “Well with all the girls I invite back, it has to be,” he said earning a playful glower from Olivia. Tilly had followed them up and she had sprung up onto the desk chair and quickly fallen asleep.

Olivia rolled onto her tummy and shoved her head in-between the two pillows, “My head hurts,” she grumbled.

The bed sagged slightly as Sean sat down, “You are such a light-weight,” he said.

“Oi you!” Olivia turned her head and glared at his amused smile, “You gave me all those shots! You got me drunk just so you could get me back to yours,” she accused him, although her mouth was twitching and she wasn’t really blaming him. It had been that Sourz she’d drank so fast that had really got her smashed.

“Wow, you’ve foiled me,” Sean joked, jabbing at her side so she squealed and rolled onto her side. “That was my plan all along,” he said in mock serious tones as he lay down next to her. They were facing each other now and Olivia realised how good-looking he looked tonight with less wax in his hair. She reached forwards and played with it.

“Hey, leave my hair alone, don’t tamper with a masterpiece,” Sean batted her hand away.

“Pfft,” Olivia tutted, “Well sorry for cutting your night short.”

“What do you mean?” Sean asked baffled.

“Well if it wasn’t for me you’d probably be shagging some girl in that cupboard by now,” Olivia said with a knowing grin, “And I’d be hearing all about it in Maths.”

Sean bit his lip, amused, “Bet you love hearing everything I get up to,” he said, winking.

Olivia scoffed, “Actually I thought you seemed like a bit of a tosser,” she said. There was no doubt of the sincerity in her voice and for a bizarre moment, Olivia thought Sean was upset.

“Past tense?” he said, apparently recovering, “So you don’t think I am any more?”

“You’ve grown on me marginally.”

Sean grinned. “You shouldn’t apologize for cutting my night short. I think I prefer talking to you over anything I could be doing in a cupboard with some random girl.”

“You’re such a smooth talker,” Olivia teased, jabbing his stomach. It was surprisingly hard and Olivia thought of earlier when he’d pulled his top off. She wondered if he’d sleep topless.

As if reading her mind, Sean suddenly sat up and pulled off his t-shirt, letting it drop to the floor. “Too hot,” he said as explanation as he lay back down next to her. “Don’t pretend you’re not impressed,” he smirked. Olivia cringed, realising she’d seen him looking. She didn’t say anything and Sean didn’t press her.

“Do you want a t-shirt to sleep in?” Sean asked, glancing over her skirt and blouse.

“Uhh yeah, that would be good,” Olivia replied, still not looking him in the eye.

Sean walked over to his chest of drawers. He rummaged around for a bit before throwing over a blue t-shirt and a pair of sports shorts. “Bathroom’s just across from here if you want to get changed,” he said.

When she returned from the bathroom, her clothes neatly folded over her arm and having scrubbed her make-up off, Sean was lying on his bed with only his boxers on. Olivia averted her eyes, determined not to be caught looking at him again. She blamed it on the drink.

Sean chuckled. With no shame he was looking at her and Olivia wished she’d kept her bra on. She put her clothes down by her bag and crossed her arms over her chest before standing next to the bed. Sean pulled the covers back and slid in, a smug look on his face.

“Hey, I’m sleeping here!” she said, “Get out!”

“Not a chance,” Sean smirked, “Just tried lying on the sofa and I’m way too big for it. Plus it’s not comfy,” he said, sticking out his bottom lip and staring up at Olivia with big, brown eyes.

Olivia sighed and walked round the bed. Pulling back the covers she grumbled, “You’re unnaturally good at getting unwilling girls into your bed.”

She climbed in, making sure there was a large distance between them both. Sean was grinning at her from his pillow. “It’d be great if you could stop being unwilling,” he said in a tone which was both serious and humorous.

“Not happening Roxburgh,” Olivia smiled sleepily. She really was quite tired… But she quickly livened up when Sean started to tickle her, his fingers dancing over her waist and stomach. She shrieked and Sean covered her mouth.

“Shh,” he hushed her.

“Sorry,” Olivia mumbled through his hand. He grinned and let her go and she realised what Sean had done by attacking her.

“Aw isn’t this cosy,” he said, his arms tucked round her. She could feel the hairs of his legs against her smooth legs. It felt nice. “Are you not going to try and get away then?” Sean asked with a note of surprise in his voice. Evidently he’d thought she’d have wriggled away.

Olivia propped herself up on her elbows, “No feeling me up,” she warned him. And with that she rested her head on his chest, pulled the covers up over them and wrapped her arm round him.

Slowly, she felt his arms rest on her, “Wouldn’t dream of it,” he whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nyaww, as much as I love Oliva+Jack, Sean can be quite sweet when he wants to be!