Written In The Sand

Chapter 8.

It was a typical Scottish morning as Olivia walked with Sean. Overcast and damp, rain was promised. Olivia just hoped it held off long enough for her to get home. Few cars passed them as they strolled along the quiet streets, past gardens and parks and corner shops. Only the dog-walkers and elderly seemed to be out, rain coats on in preparation.

As they turned the corner onto Olivia’s street, Olivia let out an excited yelp as she noticed the blue car parked outside her house. “Alex is home!” she exclaimed.

“That’s not your older brother is it?” Sean asked, looking a little sick as he looked down at what Olivia was wearing – her heels and skirt from last night and a t-shirt and hoodie she’d borrowed from Sean.

Olivia waved her arm in disregard, “I’ll explain to him and he won’t care,” she said, although she wasn’t entirely sure this was true. Alex had made a habit of being protective over Olivia. The only boy he’d ever approved of was Jack.

It was with hesitant steps that Sean followed Olivia who was beyond excited to see her elder brother for the first time since January.

Unfortunately she was going to have a wait a little longer before she could see him as Julie was carrying Rory’s car-seat down the lane between their houses, three-year-old Lily and seven-year-old Amelia skipping along in front of her. Their little faces lit up when they saw Amelia. Olivia zipped up the hoodie she was wearing, hiding Sean’s t-shirt underneath

“Livy,” Amelia yelled, running out of the gate and into Olivia’s arms, “Look, I have new boots,” she said pointing down to her new pink boots with pride.

“Wow, lovely, wish I had a pair like that!” Olivia said as she bent down and picked little Lily up, careful not to bump the tot with her bag. Amelia beamed, her two-front teeth missing. Sean stood awkwardly observing the scene.

“Hello, Julie,” Olivia greeted Julie and tickled Rory’s chin from inside the car seat. He was sleeping peacefully, little blonde tufts of hair poking out from under his hat. She hadn’t seen Julie since Tuesday when she’d broken up with Jack and judging from the smile she received from her, Jack hadn’t told her. She couldn’t blame him – she hadn’t told her parents yet either.

“Olivia, so good to bump into you, was going to get Jack to ask you but I have a favour to ask of you,” Julie said, giving Olivia a one armed hug considering they both were holding young ones. Jack definitely hadn’t told her. “I’m going out with your mum tonight and well I suppose you’d usually help Jack baby-sit but he’s busy too, could you do it on your own?”

There was a slight pause. Baby-sitting Jack’s siblings? This could be very awkward but as Amelia and Lily tugged at her, pleading excitedly and Julie looked at her expectantly, she knew she had to. “Sure I will,” Olivia said and Julie beamed whilst the girls whooped.

“Well Jack says he’ll be back about ten so I’ll leave money for pizza for the two of you, thank you so much!” Julie said, the look of relief on her face evident, “Right Amelia into the car,” she said ushering Amelia towards the silver vehicle parked beside them. Olivia buckled Lily into her car seat before turning back to Julie and saying goodbye, pushing her hair behind her shoulders. If she wasn’t mistaken, Julie’s lips pursed before she said bye back.

“Nice to meet you -,” she started looking over at Sean whose hands were firmly planted in his pockets. He looked alarmed at being addressed.

“Uhh, Sean,” he said. Julie smiled at him before ducking her head and clipping Rory’s seat into the car. Olivia and Sean rushed off, not talking until they were in the safety of Olivia’s house.

“That was interesting…” Sean tailed off as Olivia promptly slapped herself on the forehead.

“What have I got myself into?” she moaned.

“The shit, but slapping yourself is not going to help,” Sean grinned.

“Thanks for the reassurance,” Olivia said before jogging up the stairs.

“I’d be a little more helpful if you’d let me cop a feel last night,” Sean said and Olivia could tell he was smirking.

“Sean!” Olivia hissed, “My parents might be about!”

They had just reached the top of the stairs when a young man stepped out of the office door, his light brown hair tousled and his t-shirt and boxers crumpled. He was yawning and so didn’t notice Olivia for a second whose face had broken into a large grin.

“Alex!” she said, leaping over to him with her arms held wide.

“Alright Livia,” Alex said, returning Olivia’s hug in a sleepy manner. “Who’s this?” he said his voice lowering as he caught sight of Sean.

Sean reached out his hand and Alex shook it, albeit suspiciously. “Sean Roxburgh, in Olivia’s year,” Sean explained. He was only an inch or so smaller than Alex who drew himself up to his full height.

“And I guess it’s your clothes Olivia is wearing?” Alex demanded.

“Well the heels and skirt are hers,” Sean tried to joke but Alex wasn’t amused, jutting out his jaw in that Olivia only knew too well.

“Chill out, Alex,” Olivia said, grabbing a bobble from where it sat on a stand next to the phone and a large vase of flowers, “I had nothing else to wear,” she reasoned and Alex seemed to calm before he had a proper look at Olivia, tying her hair back.

“That was not me!” Sean said, his eyes wide as he too looked at Olivia. Alex was looking between the two of them furiously.

“What wasn’t” Olivia asked confused.

“Look in the mirror,” Alex growled.

Olivia turned to the mirror above the stand and immediately saw what was wrong. A deep purple hickey was festering on her neck, ugly and bold. She brushed her hand over it wondering how on earth she’d hide this from her parents. From Jack. She swivelled back to Alex who raised his eyebrows.

“It wasn’t him,” she said, her cheeks flushing under Alex’s glower.

“Ok, so let’s get this straight,” Alex started, his tone sarcastic, “So you copped off with some dick that mauled your neck, and then, you went home with this guy,” Alex jerked his thumb at Sean.

“It wasn’t really like that,” Sean said.

“Whatever. Just make sure you’ve cleared off by the time I’m out my shower,” Alex said, going into the bathroom.

Still embarrassed, Olivia walked into her bedroom, letting her hair back down again. She put her back on the desk before going to the window and drawing the curtains – a replay of the other night would not be good.

“Christ. That’s two people that want me dead now. Your brother and your ex,” Sean said, leaning back on Olivia’s bed.

“I think Julie saw it,” Olivia said turning to him, biting her lip and thinking of the look Julie had given her when she said goodbye. “She’s going to think it was Jack.”

“Yeah, it didn’t really seem like he’d told her did it,” Sean mused, picking the book of Olivia’s bedside table and flipping it over to read the blurb.

“I haven’t actually told my parents either,” Olivia said, “Or Alex,” she added as an afterthought. She had a feeling she’d be in for a grilling after Sean left.

Sean didn’t reply. Instead he crossed over to her desk and began inspecting the things on it.

“You’re very nosy aren’t you?” Olivia laughed taking out a pair of jeans and a top from her wardrobe and fresh underwear from a drawer, “Don’t peek,” she said and waited until Sean was facing the wall before she quickly got changed. “I’m finished.”

Folding the hoodie and t-shirt Sean had lent her, she observed him returning to her desk. She watched as he picked up item after item – the Get Well card Jack had made for her when they were nine, the tub of conkers Jack and Olivia had collected in the woods one autumn, a photo of a baby hedgehog they’d once rescued with a broken limb, the cast Jack had insisted on signing every day for six weeks one summer after Olivia fell and broke her wrist…

She turned her head away when he picked up the card Jack had given her this year for Valentines Day. It was covered in photos of them from ever since they’d first met and Olivia could remember every single one. They’d sat for ages in the sandpit laughing over each memory, telling the story behind each photo. Jack had laughed at the dungarees Olivia used to always wear and Olivia had laughed at the bad haircut Jack had when he was eight. Then there were the more recent photos of them…

Sean let out a low whistle, “Why did you ever break up?” he asked.

“Love doesn’t last,” Olivia said shortly and Sean put the card down. A silence had descended on them now, long and extended.

Olivia grabbed the Maths leaflet she had been meaning to give to Sean from her bedside table.

“Well thanks for last night,” she said, handing him the leaflet and his clothes.

“Yeah, no problem,” Sean said, ruffling his hair, “I’ll go now then.”

Olivia felt immense relief once she’d closed the door behind Sean. Last night was a mess of confusion to he, she couldn’t quite believe everything that had happened. She was spared from her thoughts by Alex bounding down the stairs, his hair wet.

“Explain.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay, Alex is back! :D

No silent readers please!