Will You Stay Away Forever?

1/1

Ten steps until closure and truth hit me dead on. So why is it that my legs won’t carry me to the truth? They won’t move me any further than denial.

“You have to let go at some point. You have to realize there was nothing more you could have done.” My mother said beside me. Wrong she was. There was more I could have done. I could have stayed, instead of running away.

Nine steps.
The man in black begins to talk slowly. Trying to console the people who surround me, but it seems to me the truth is just too cold.

“He was caring and would do anything for those he loved. He had one of the best personalities. Nothing meant more to him in this world then his family and his wife. They were his world, as he was theirs.” The man said as he spoke lowly to the crowd of people surrounded around me.

Eight steps.
The tears fall from my eyes like rain drops in the spring sky. Reality is too much to bear; I grasped his hand and closed my eyes. The memories came rushing back. It was summer time, with the sun shining bright in the sky.

“Get on the rollercoaster. There’s all of these safety devices to keep you in place. You’ll love the rush. Trust me!” He said with such enthusiasm.

Seven steps.
My heart continued to feel cold and empty. I could only think of all the amazing times we had shared together. It was fall, the leaves were changing around us but we didn’t seem to notice.
“You know I’ll always love you. Don’t ever forget that. It’s me and you against the world, forever.” He said just a smoothly as the leaves falling off the trees around us.

Six steps.
It seems like time was flying by us then, the seasons seemed to be changing like the weather. It was winter.

“Isn’t Colorado so pretty in the winter months? I mean look at how the snow falls on the mountains. I wish I could stay here forever. Speaking of forever, I know it’s kind of early but I can’t see my life without you. You’re the last thing I think about when I fall asleep and the first thing I think about in the morning. Will you marry me?”

Five steps.

“I vow to always take you with the good and the bad. To speak when you need advice, to listen when you need support, to kiss away your tears, and to promise to never leave you.” He said holding my hand at the altar.

Four steps.
I can’t help but remember the day. Two men dressed in their uniforms knocked on my door, they asked to speak directly to me.

“Ma’am, we are here to inform you that you’re husband was apart of a road side bombing. He was fatally injured.” Their words came from their mouths in slow motion. I couldn’t believe what they were telling me.

Three steps.
A man approached me with a folded American flag. He attempted to console me about my loss.

“Your husband was one of the best men that served under me. I present this flag to you with much condolence. I will never forget him and he will forever remain in my heart.” The man walked away after saluting.

Two steps.
With every shot that the honor guard rang, my heart dropped. All of the emotions I should have been dealing with the last week came back to me at once. All I could think about was when simply spoke those words of wisdom;

“There is a time to speak up and a time to be silent, a time to listen and a time to be heard, a time to lose and a time to gain, for all of those times, the time is now. Always remember that.”

One step to acceptance.