Sequel: Know You're Not Alone
Status: completed... sequel on the way...

You Don't Know You're Beautiful

Chapter 23

The team dinner/dance was a lot of fun. I had tried to get Sid to tell me what he got Steph for Christmas, but it didn’t get me anywhere.

“I’m not telling you anything, Kaitlyn.”

I shook my head. “Oh come on. Don’t you want to know if you got her a good gift? Who would know better than me?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “I think I’m safe with this one.” He looked over and saw that Kris and Steph were done dancing. They came back over to where Sid and I were standing.

We didn’t stay until the very end of the party, but we did stay long enough to see Max attempt to strip tease to get the attention of one of the catering girls. It was hilarious. Jordan carried him out of the hall when we all left.

The car dropped Kris and I off at Kris’ place. When we walked in, we saw Luc decorating. Kris laughed.

“Luc, what are you doing?”

He turned and gave us a small smile. “I got bored and saw that this place needed a little more of a Christmas feel.”

“Where did you get all of the decorations?” I asked looking around, seeing the massive tree all lit up and nicely decorated.

“I went out and bought them. I saw that Kris left his car here, so I went out.” He said as he stepped down from hanging a decoration on the wall.

“Looks good.” I yawned. “Well, I’m going to head to bed.” I walked up to Luc and wrapped him in a hug. “Goodnight buddy.”

He smiled. “Night. See you in the morning.”

I looked over at Kris with a small smile. He shook his head slowly.

“I’ll be in in a minute.”

I nodded and walked off to bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kris’ POV

After Kaitlyn was out of ear-shot, I looked over at Luc.

“You didn’t have to do this, you know.”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Well, you did tell me that you felt bad for taking Kaitlyn away from her family for the holidays. I just thought I would help by making this place look a little more like Christmas.”

I gave him a small smile. “It looks great man.”

He nodded. “Well, I tried. I didn’t want to go overboard, but it needed something.”

I scratched the back of my neck. “Well, you know how well I am when it comes to decorating. So, I’m happy you’re here.”

He scoffed. “Oh, well now I see why you keep me around.” He smirked.

I lightly shoved him, chuckling to myself as we both sat down on the couch.

“So, how was the shindig?”

“It was fun. Max got a little….well, he was Max.” I laughed.

“Yeah, I can only imagine.” He laughed along with me.

“But all in all, it was good.”

He nodded. “Kaitlyn looked gorgeous. You’re a lucky man, dude.”

I smiled and sighed contently. ‘Yeah, I guess I am.”

“So, you said she was finishing up high school this year?”

I nodded. “Yepp.”

“Is she going to go to college when she’s done?”

I nodded. “I’m not sure where, though. Steph’s going to Halifax, I know that.”

Luc nodded and stared at me. “You think she’s going to the same place, aren’t you?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “I don’t know. I mean they are best friends. Nothing can really separate them.”

Luc chuckled and clapped a hand on my shoulder. “Anything can happen, buddy. Listen, I’m going to hit the sack. Got some more decorating to do in the morning. Maybe this time you’ll, uh, help?”

I smirked and flipped him off as he stood up from the couch.

“Oh,” Luc said as he reached the hallway. “Just wondering, do I hang the mistletoe out here, or give it to you and hang above your bed?” I turned my head and saw the smirk on his face. I stretched my arms above me head and stood up from the couch myself and made my way to bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaitlyn’s POV

The next morning, I woke up with the sun shining in my eyes. I reached my hand out to the spot where Kris normally slept, but felt nothing. It was odd on a morning that he didn’t have practice or morning skate that he woke up before me. However, he did have company, so it was understandable. I climbed out of bed and slipped my housecoat on. As I made my way out into the hallway, I could hear Kris and Luc talking.

“So, do you think she’ll like it?” I heard Kris ask.

“I know she’ll love it. Mon ami, it’s perfect.” Luc answered him.

I didn’t want to hear too much about my present, that is, if they were even talking about me, so I made my presence known. I walked further down the hallway and wrapped my arms around Kris’ waist, pressing my cheek against his back.

“Mornin’ Kaitlyn.” I looked over Kris’ shoulder and smiled.

“Mornin’ Luc. How did you sleep?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Not too badly, I guess.”

“The place looks great. It really feels more like Christmas.” I gave Kris’ waist a slight squeeze.

“So, are you just going to squeeze me, but not talk to me?” He chuckled. I rolled my eyes and smirked at Luc.

“So, would you like some breakfast, or did you already eat?”

He smirked back at me. “I’d love some, thanks.”

Kris huffed and turned around, facing me. He placed his hands on my cheeks and pulled my face closer to his and captured my lips in a kiss. Pulling away he smiled at me.

“Now how can you ignore that?”

I smiled at him, but before I could open my mouth to say something, I heard Luc clear his throat behind Kris.

“I’ll start the eggs. Kaitlyn how do you want yours?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Over easy’s good.” I stepped away from Kris and walked over to the stove. “I can make it, Luc. You go sit and play video games with Kris.”

“I don’t mind, really.”

I shook my head. “No, you’re a guest in our home, now go.”

He smiled, put his hands up in defeat and walked out of the kitchen. Kris came up behind me and wrapped an arm around my waist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kris’ POV

“Our home, eh?” I placed a soft kiss on her temple as I whispered to her.

She turned her head and smiled at me.

“Well, I didn’t know what else to say. I wasn’t going to make him make our breakfast. That’s just rude.”

I laughed. “Belle, believe me, Luc doesn’t mind. This is like his second, well actually, third home. He’s comfortable enough here.”

She shrugged her shoulders. “Well, you don’t see him very often and I’ve already been here for a couple of days. Go visit.”

I placed a soft kiss on her cheek as I followed in the same path Luc took exiting the kitchen. I walked into the living room and sat down beside him on the couch. He looked over at me with a smile.

“Did she say what I think she said?”

I nodded with a smile. “Yeah.”

“Looks like that gift is going to work out well.”

I leaned forward and turned on the Xbox before grabbing controllers for Luc and I. I leaned back in my seat and sighed.

“Yeah, looks like it will.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaitlyn’s POV

Our Christmas Eve was pretty low-key. I was thinking about phoning Steph and seeing what her and Sid were up to, but I decided against it, remembering Sid’s family came for the holiday. While the boys conversed about what their plans were for the off-season and what they were going to do, if they were going to get together or not. I sat beside Kris and watched a movie. After dinner, Luc and Kris decided they needed to have a rematch in their video game. I rolled my eyes at their childish ways and made my way to the bedroom. I had found something while Steph and I were out for Luc. I wasn’t sure if he was going to like it, but I didn’t want him to have nothing to open on Christmas morning. After I had that, I had stuffed three stockings for each of us. I know I shouldn’t have stuffed my own, but my mom did it every year, but this way I knew the stockings would be stuffed. Just as I finished, I heard a knock on the door.

“Yes?” I asked, sitting on the bed.

“Whatcha doooooin’?” I heard Luc ask through the door.

“Just sitting around. Why, you lose already?” I smirked as I hurried to hide the stockings and Luc’s gift before he opened the door.

“Haha, very funny. Actually, I won if you must know. We wanted to watch a Christmas movie before we all went to bed. You in?”

I skipped to the door and opened it quickly. I raised an eyebrow at Luc, seeing him stand in front of me with a small smirk. He nodded upwards. I looked up and my jaw dropped. I looked back at Luc.

“Come on, you can’t buck tradition.” He smirked.

I rolled my eyes and pressed my lips to his cheek. He ran away and into the kitchen yelling.

“She kissed me! She kissed me! Kris, she kissed me!”

I rolled my eyes and made my way into the living room. I sat down and smile at Kris as he placed a blanket over both of us.

“Where did he put it?” He asked.

“At the top of the door frame of the bedroom.” I smirked.

Luc jumped onto the love seat and looked at me.

“You know Kris, you got yourself a keeper there. Good kisser, too.”

I scoffed and jokingly rolled my eyes.. “Oh, shut up. I kissed your cheek. Now put in the movie, you crazy Frenchman.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kris’ POV

I woke up on Christmas morning with a huge smile on my face. I pulled Kaitlyn closer to me and placed a soft kiss on her shoulder. I felt her squirm slightly and she turned her head to face me. She slowly opened her eyes and smiled at me.

“Merry Christmas, Kris.”

I placed a soft kiss on her lips.

“Merry Christmas, belle.”

We both smiled and laid in bed for a few more minutes before we heard banging on the bedroom door.

“Wake up, lovebirds. It’s Christmas.”

We both laughed lightly at Luc’s outburst.

“Someone’s impatient to open presents.” Kaitlyn chuckled.

I yawned and nodded in agreement. “We better get out there before he opens all of them.”

We got out of the bed and put on our housecoats. I also put on a shirt. I made my way to the door and help it open. Kaitlyn was about to walk past me when I stopped her. She turned to look at me.

“You forgetting something?”

She looked at me with a blank stare for a few seconds, then quickly switched it to a smirk. She stepped closer and I wrapped my arms around her waist. Her hands locked at the back of my neck and I captured her lips with mine. The kiss quickly turned passionate and her fingers began to run through my hair. My hands ran up her back under her shirt and I was aching to take her back to bed. However, I remembered that we had company and I slowly pulled away, placing my forehead on hers. I looked in her eyes and smiled.

“Now that’s the way to start Christmas.”

She smiled and ran a hand through my hair and down my cheek. She gave me a small peck and then turned to walk into the living room. I followed her and we saw Luc sitting on the floor in front of the tree with a huge, silly smile on his face. I rolled my eyes.

“So, I guess breakfast first is off the table?”

He nodded his head. “Damn straight. Now sit down. We’ll start with stockings.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaitlyn’s POV

I couldn’t help but laugh at Luc being ‘Santa.’ Like he suggested, we started with the stockings. Luc was surprised that he had one.

“Well, why wouldn’t you? You’re here for Christmas, silly.”

“Yeah, but you didn’t know that I was coming.”

“That’s true. But, I had to go and buy some stuff for Kris when I was out with Steph and Natalie before the party. I picked up stuff for you, too.”

He smiled at me. “Well, you didn’t have to.”

I shook my head. “Don’t fret about it, just open it. Enjoy the holiday.”

He smiled and dug into the stocking. He thanked me for everything and shocked that I knew what he liked. Truth be told, I texted Kris telling him that I wanted to buy something for Luc and fill a stocking for him and he gave me ideas. After we were done with our stockings, ‘Santa’ handed out the gifts under the tree. He picked up the first one and read the name tag off.

“To…..oh, to Luc, from Kris and Kaitlyn.” He looked up at the two of us. “You guys, this is supposed to be your Christmas, not mine.”

Kris shook his head. “Dude, you suck at accepting gifts, you know that? Sit down, shut up and open it.” He finished with a smirk.

Luc rolled his eyes. “I will open it, but I don’t want to be the only one opening a gift. Here,” he grabbed another gift. “To Kaitlyn, from Luc.”

My eyes opened wide. “You got me a gift? Oh Luc, you shouldn’t have.”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Well, I did interrupt your first Christmas with this long-haired freak, so it’s the least I could do.”

I looked up at him with a smirk. “You didn’t interrupt it, you only made it better. Without you, we wouldn’t have all these decorations up.”

He thought for a second and then pointed at me. “You know, you’re right. Your Christmas would have been shit without me.”

I stuck my tongue out at him and looked over at Kris with a smile before tearing at the wrapping paper. I smiled at what I saw.

“Oh, Luc. Thank you.” I looked over the bottle of perfume.

He smiled sheepishly. “Well, I’m not trying to tell you you smell. I just didn’t know what to get you.”

I shook my head and smiled. “It’s okay. I love it. It’s actually one of my favourite brands.”I got up and gave him a hug.

Luc opened his gift from Kris and I with a smile. “Now, I know that Kris had some input on this.” He said as he looked over the switch blade. There was a Harley Davidson logo on it. Kris did give me the idea. He gave us both a hug then Luc went to grab some more gifts. He handed one to Kris, from me and handed me one from Kris. We both smiled at each other. Luc cleared his throat.

“Um, I’m just going to call my parents and wish them a Merry Christmas.”

We looked up at him and nodded. I looked back over at Kris.

“Did we just make this awkward for him?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kris’ POV

I wasn’t sure how to answer Kaitlyn’s question. I wasn’t sure if we did or not. I didn’t want to think about it too much. I shook my head.

“I don’t think so. I think he just wanted to give us some privacy, that’s all.”

She nodded her head slowly and began to fidget with the wrapped box in her hands. I put a hand over hers. She looked up at me.

“I just want to tell you that, as much of thought as I put into your gift, I’m not pressuring you into anything, okay?”

She raised an eyebrow at me. “Okay?”

“I’ll open mine first, okay?”

She nodded with a small smile. I began to rip at the wrapping on the box in my lap. I kept looking up at Kaitlyn with a small smile. I could tell by the look in her eye, she was nervous. She wasn’t sure if I was going to like my gift, but I was positive I would. If it came from her, I would love it. Once all of the wrapping paper was off, I looked at the item in my hands. I was in awe. I didn’t know that Kaitlyn could be this creative in such a short time. It was a picture frame, that showed a slideshow of my favourite picture that I showed her when I went to visit her to deal with the Trent “business.” She had asked if she could copy them onto her computer, so I let her. I didn’t think this would be the result. I held it in my hands and continued to stare at it.

“Do you like it?” Kaitlyn asked me.

I turned my head and showed her a huge grin. “I love it. It’s amazing.” I pulled her in for a tight hug. “When you asked for the photos, I didn’t think this would be what you would do with them.”

“There’s one other thing this does.”

I raised my eyebrow at her. She leaned over and pushed a button on the side. All of sudden,I heard Metallica’s cover of “turn the page” begin. I looked over at her with a smile.

“This is seriously the coolest thing…ever.” I gave her a soft kiss. “Thank you, baby.”

“You’re welcome.” She smiled.

“Now,” I pointed to the box in her hands. “Open yours.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaitlyn’s POV

I looked at the box in my lap and began to slowly tear off the wrapping paper. I was unsure as to what this was, but I knew that I would love it regardless, since it was from Kris. I believed he knew me well enough to know what to get me. I pulled off the last piece and opened up the box. When my eyes saw what was inside, I couldn’t hold back my gasp of surprise.

“Oh, Kris,” I sighed. “Is this..?”

He nodded. “It is. It’s a key to my apartment.” He pulled it out of the box and placed it in my hand. “Now, like I said, I’m not pressuring you, saying you have to move in with me. I know you still have school and I know you’re going off to college next year. I just want you to know that I love you and that you can come here whenever you like. No invitation is needed anymore.” He tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and smiled. I didn’t wait for him to lean in as I pulled him towards me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him with all the passion I had in me. We didn’t hear the footsteps, but we did hear the voice interrupt us.

“So Kris, my parents say hello and Merry Christmas. So, since presents are….oh.” I pulled away from Kris and saw Luc standing behind the couch. I don’t know why, but I leaned in and hid my face in Kris’ shirt.

“Kaitlyn, you don’t have to hide. I just thought you guys were opening gifts, not getting busy.” He smirked. “Besides, the mistletoe is down the hall.”

I flipped him off and turned away from Kris and leaned back into the couch. Luc came and flopped down on the love seat.

“So, what’s for breakfast?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kris’ POV

After breakfast was done, which Luc cooked, I cleaned up the front room of all of the wrapping paper while Kaitlyn went into the bedroom to get dressed. Luc was “trying” to help me, but all he was doing was balling up the wrapping paper he found and threw it at me. I shrugged it off the first couple times, but then it started an all out war. I dropped the garbage bag and we began throwing balls of wrapping paper at each other. We heard a scoff behind us and I turned my head. Kaitlyn was standing there with her hands on her hips.

“Well, if you boys would stop that, we were invited to go to Sid’s.”

I looked over at Luc, who shrugged his shoulders.

“Sounds like a plan to me. I’d like to meet this Steph girl he was talking about yesterday.”

“His family is in town, too.” Kaitlyn said.

“Okay, we’ll get this cleaned up, I’ll get changed, then we’ll go, okay?”

She walked over to me.”Somehow, I don’t think you’ll clean this up any time soon. You just go get changed, I’ll clean this up. Luc, you can help me.”

I raised my hands in defeat and walked away to go get changed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaitlyn’s POV

After cleaning up the living room, the three of us made our way to Sid’s house. I was so happy to be able to spend some part of this holiday with Steph. At least not all traditions were broken. When we pulled up, I ran to the door, almost tripping in the process. I knocked on the door and my jaw dropped.

“Derrick?!” He smiled at me.

“What’s up Kaity-Kait?” I ran into his arms for a huge hug. I pulled away and looked at him with wide eyes.

“What are you doing here?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Well, it seems that since Steph landed herself a big shot, we’re having family Christmas here. Come on in, Tab’s here and so is Momma.”

I smiled and walked past him. As Kris and Luc entered, I introduced them.

“Derrick, this is my boyfriend Kris and his best friend, Luc. Guys, this is Steph’s brother Derrick.”

Derrick smiled at the two guys and shook their hands.

“Merry Christmas.”

I walked further into Sid’s place and found Steph’s mom, Sandy. I walked up and engulfed her in a huge hug. She pulled away, smiling.

“Well, Merry Christmas, sweetie. You having fun down here?”

I nodded my head with a smile. “Yes, I am. I’m having a blast. It’s beautiful here.”

She smiled. “Yes, it is. So, I’ve heard so much about this boy of yours. Is he here?”

I nodded and pointed to where Kris was standing talking with Luc and Sid.

“My, my, you have found yourself a keeper, eh Kaitlyn?” I looked over my shoulder and saw Tab. I gave her a small hug, laughing.

“Yeah, I guess I did.”

“Excuse me, I’m going to have to steal her away for a minute.” I felt someone place their hand up on my shoulder. Turning my head, I smiled at Sid.

“Well, well, aren’t we finally being a nice host?” I teased him with a smirk.

He rolled his eyes. “Oh shut up. Now, come on. I want you to meet my mom. She’s been dying to meet the best friend Steph couldn’t shut up about over the summer.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kris’ POV

We got to Sid’s and Luc and I struck up a conversation with Troy and Derrick. We were talking about the announcement that Pittsburgh will be involved in the first Winter Classic. I looked around to see where Kaitlyn had wondered off to. I saw her standing with Sid, along with his mom. I saw everyone that I knew would be here, except for Steph and Taylor. I was a little shocked, but shrugged it off.

“So Kris, did they say who you were play against yet? Or where you’re playing?” Derrick’s question brought my attention back to the conversation. I shook my head.

“No, not yet. I don’t think it will be here, though. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaitlyn’s POV

“What do you have there?” Trina asked me, pointing to the bag in my hand.

“Oh, it’s my gift for Steph, but I don’t see her anywhere.” I answered, looking around. It was odd to not see her around. She sounded fine on the phone, but she seemed to be hiding out somewhere.

“She’s just upstairs with Taylor. You can head on up, if you like.”

I smiled at Trina and nodded. I made my way upstairs and knocked on the door I recognized as Sid’s bedroom door. The same door Steph dragged me through to show me the application she filled out for UPitt. I knocked on the door and waited for it to open. When it did, I was met with the smiling face of who I could only guess was Sid’s sister, Taylor.

“Hi, you must be Kaitlyn.”

I smiled and nodded. “I am, and you must be Taylor.”

She nodded and opened the door a little wider. I walked in and saw Steph sitting on the bed. She looked up and smiled at me.

“Hey, how’s it going?”

I smiled and walked over to sit beside her. “Not too bad. What you doin’ up here when everyone else is upstairs?”

She showed me the piece of paper in her hand and ran a hand through her hair.

“I was talking to Taylor about this. Getting another opinion on whether or not I should show this to Sid before we go back.”

I smiled at her then looked over at Taylor. “What did you tell her?”

“I said to show him, but to explain her reasoning behind it. She said you said the same thing.”

I smiled. “Along those lines, yeah, I did.”

Taylor smiled. “Well, I’m going to let you two talk for a bit.” She walked towards the door. “It was nice meeting you, Kaitlyn. See you downstairs.”

“See you later, Taylor.” I turned back to Steph. “So, put that thing aside. I have something for you.”

She moved the application to the other side of the bed and looked at me. I smiled and pushed the bag I had in my hands in front of her.

“Merry Christmas.”

She took the bag from me and smiled. She opened it and pulled out one of the items from the bag. She unwrapped it and couldn’t help but smirk. She held it up and raised an eyebrow at me.

“A paintbrush, really?”

I smirked as I pointed to the note on the other side. She turned over the paintbrush and laughed out loud.

“’Bedroom Use Only’? You’re sick!” She laughed. I kept the smirk on my face.

“Well you can’t be the only one with a dirty mind, you know.”

She smiled at me and placed a hand on my leg.

“I have something for you, too. Hang on.”

She walked over to her closet.

“Oh, the closet,” I said. “The best place to hide presents, but the first place we always looked.”

She smirked as she handed me a wrapped gift. I placed it in my lap and began to rip the wrapping paper. After it was all removed, I looked at the item in my hands. It was a scrapbook. I looked at the words on the cover. “Me and My Best Friend.” Looking up at Steph, I felt tears brim in my eyes.

“You made this?”

She nodded. “Yeah, I’ve been making it for a little while. I was going to wait until graduation, but I decided Christmas was better.” She sat down beside me as I flipped through the pages. “Since this may be the last year of school we have together, I thought I’d make this so you don’t forget about the best thing that ever walked into your life.”

I smirked as I gave her a huge hug. “I couldn’t forget you. Besides, I’m thinking you’re gonna be stuck with me a long time after high school.”
♠ ♠ ♠
And here's Christmas!! ))) Sorry it took so long. I started a job this week, though I have had the last day and a half off.. Hit my head and if I learned one thing from watching hockey, it's go get checked out if you have any symptoms of a concussion.. thankfully, I don't have one. It's just from the heat of the factory. I'm going back on Monday.

Anywho... enough about me... hope you enjoyed the chappy...

steph<3