Status: Finished

Student, Teacher Conference

Paintball

It was a two hour drive into the middle of nowhere to reach the paintball field we had been booked into, I had stayed at Alex's flat; of course telling my mum I was staying at Sam's. Alex was driving us there in the morning since we had to be there for ten, though Fraser was driving and popped over in the morning so we could follow in the car behind. I was nervous for meeting the guys again and spending the whole day with them, I was worried I would slip up something about Alex and I's relationship or the fact I was still at school. We told them I was in education still and they took that to be college, of course they knew I was younger but they didn't know there was at least a six year gap...

"Hey"

I shook my head and my eyes came back into focus, I looked over to see Alex looking at me, I blushed and gave a small smile, he gave me a sympathetic one.

"Stop worrying ok?"

I nodded and looked out the window to see a turn in the road and in the distance a dark patch in amongst the trees; it was a cabin. I got a shiver down my spine remembering all the horror films Sam and Jo and the gang made me watch.

"The guys won't talk about work or in your case college with us" He glanced at me again before turning onto the side road that would lead us to the eerie looking cabin.

"We're here for a break away from all that" He winked.

I felt a little more confident as he continued to reassure me. He spoke to me of other times he'd been paintballing and I felt so much better, we pulled into a car park next to the few other cars that were there. I spotted the guys kitted out in camouflage gear and I laughed and tapped Alex's shoulder once he turned off the engine. Glancing over he grinned and we got out of the car, i waved over to them as they did to us and I slammed the door closed. I went to the boot of the car to put my bag inside it when Alex opened it first. It took me a moment to realise what I was looking at that was inside but I laughed and picked up the plumber suit and raised an eyebrow at him.

"You bought me a camouflage plumber suit?"

I felt my insides melt as he grinned at me once again and he wrapped his arm around me and pulled me to him.

"I wanted you to have the best protection"

I laughed and pushed him off me, shaking my head.

"I can't believe I'm doing this!"

Alex grinned again and turned, that's when I noticed the crush of the gravel and turned to smile at the guys.

"Now! Melissa I don't mean to be sexist but!" Blair started as he reached into his pocket.

He pulled out a small tray and on that tray there was make-up; army make up.

"With you being a girl an' all, could you do my make-up for me?" He batted his eyelids.

We all laughed and I nodded, taking the paints and drawing lines across his face. Alex slipped into his plumber suit as I finished up with Blair's face paints, then turning to offer to do theirs. everyone was up for it so I did it for them, Alex being last, he then offered to do mine after i got my plumber suit on. I was a little embarrassed but didn't want to see like a spoil sport in front of his friends so I let him draw on my face. I opened my eyes and smiled up at him when he said 'done', though he pouted and gave me a funny look.

"What?"

"You're missing something" he mused.

"What?" I asked confused.

His eyes lit up as he touched my nose and wiped his finger down it. I gasped and cupped my nose as he laughed and the other guys looked at us.

"Perfect!" Alex sang.

I laughed and glared at him playfully.

"I'm gonna get you for that" I threatened.

"Who said that?" He gasped and looked around.

I gave him a small shove as the guys smiled at us, Alex took my hand and winked as me as we then made our way up to cabin to go and sign in and find out which games we would be taking part in. I was nervous but excited at the same time, I had never been paintballing before and wasn't too clear on what to do. Once we got into the cabin I noticed there was a door at the back that was to lead to the painball field. We signed in and they sent us out through the door, we didn't need a plumber suit, though I was offered padding, only girls got the offer and I took it, being even more frightened about how much being hit would hurt! Once I got ready we went out the back and I saw a huge 'mess hall'. It was outside but there were tables on either side as we exited with piles of guns and paint holders. We got handed the gun and a holder then went to the next set of tables for our paint. The rest of the yard had lockers and picnic tales under stalls, Vending machines and burger bars set up for you to snack on. A good amount of people were there but that mad me anxious too. After that we got a briefing on how to use the gun and how to shoot safely.

Alex spent a lot of time chatting with the guys, I didn't mind I got to see him in a different way and it made me smile when I could see him totally relaxed with his mind away from school and see him having fun, he made sure I was ok and did involve me in most things but i was too nervous to really keep in the convo, i explained that and the guys made a few jokes but understood, Alex wrapped his arm around my shoulders and kissed my head, letting me know I'd be ok and that he would be on my team. We got split into teams and I was with Alex and Fraser and a bunch of other people, Blair and Chad were on the other team and were declaring war with Alex and Fraser. Our first game was a simple attack and defend, our team was attacking. We had a blue strap around our arms which gave me a little bit of confidence, since it was my favourite colour, but that confidence was gone when the first sounds of the guns were made.

I was hidden in a cove of bushes, ready to run out into the battle area when the first yells of a fight and yells of pain were sounded. i could hear the air pressure and the splat of the paint. I got a little fright but Alex pushed me out.

"You're fine! We'll just run to the car there!" He pointed with his gun.

I nodded and followed behind him. The ground was mucky in some places but other than that it was solid, many broken cars and even a double decker bus were scattered throughout the area, lots of people running about and fresh splats of paint on the vehicles. Alex shot and I readied myself to do the same. I shot a few times hitting spots on a car, gaining some confidence. I heard Alex 'woop' and I looked to see a goggled face and his fingers in the air, I smiled and got my head in the game.

The guys hooted as the food was served gaining a smile from our lovely blonde waitress, Alex held his head in his hand as he let out a heavy sigh, holding the defrosting bag of peas to his groin. I bit my lip and put my hand on his shoulder.

“Are you ok?” I asked with a soft voice, feeling very guilty.

“It’s fine, don’t worry” He half laughed and gave me a smile.

Chad snorted and we looked over to him, he was grinning with a slice of pizza in his hands.

“Thanks for letting us win the game Mel, shame you had to sacrifice your testicles”

I blushed a little but Alex picked a piece of peperoni from his pizza and tossed it at Chad who through his arms up, holding his slice of pizza above his head as the peperoni hit his chest.

“You suck man”

“Just get Mel to, to make you feel better” Blair winked.

My jaw dropped and I could feel the heat radiating from my face, I knew they were just having fun but Alex wouldn’t be impressed, I looked to see him scowling.

“Come on guys, that’s not funny”

“What was funny was the dick shot” Tony intervened.

Everyone gave a small laugh as I slapped my forehead with a slight groan.

Shots could be heard all around us, it was the last game and everyone was giving it their all, I had had practice and felt a lot better about running around and shooting, though getting hit was so painful! I wondered about how I’d explain the bruises to my parents if they saw them!

“Mel! Take him out!” Alex pointed to my far left.

I looked over to see a guy dressed in the overalls from the cabin, noting he wasn’t one of the guys. I nodded and took aim, pulling the trigger but nothing happened. I pulled the trigger again and again but nothing happened.

“What’s up?” Alex asked once he finished reloading his gun.

“My gun’s broken!” I complained, worrying we would get shot, anyone caught with a fresh splat of paint was out; and we were the last two on our team.

“Here let me see” Alex asked, one hand extended.

“No, no, I’ll try fix it, you shoot! You’re much better”

“Take my gun”

“There’s a paint ball jammed” I noted as I took off the full ball chamber.

“Don’t push it down the-“

I just caught the start of his sentence as I put my finger into the gun and pushed a small line of paints left in the gun to push the jammed one out, as I did i pulled the trigger. A horrid drop and three shots fired as I pulled the trigger to get the paint out; a yelp of pain accompanied the shots, then the sound of someone falling to the ground. My jaw dropped as I looked down and focussed on the figure on the ground, curled into a ball and cradling himself, rocking slightly on the ground.

“Oh...my...god...I’m so, so, so, sorry” I whispered.

“I’m...out” Was all he could wheeze.

I turned to see the advancing team and I gave a small squeal. I reattached the ammo chamber and turned to aim and fire. I managed to hit two people before I was shot in the shoulder. The whistle blew and the referee came out from behind his shield, the game was over, and I threw the game.


“I’m so sorry” I muttered again to Alex as we ate and Fraser talked of his adventures in the games.

“Hey at least you didn’t get a thumb shot!” Blair groaned.

We all looked at him.

“Someone actually shot me on the thumb...the thumb! Of all places!” He pouted and looked at his bruised thumb.

I smiled at him.

“Sorry”

His jaw dropped open dramatically and he cradled his thumb and moved it away from me, I raised my eyebrow and took a sip of my diet coke to show I didn’t care.

“You! You little demon!” He gasped.

I nearly choked on my coke with laughter.

“That really hurt!” He pouted.

“So did you throwing that stick at me when you ran out of paint!” I exclaimed.

Alex laughed and rolled his eyes.

“Shocking behaviour Blairy boy!” He grinned.

“Not as shocking as your miss. How could you?! He was right in front of you!”

We laughed.

“I know...but I was rushed” He waved his free hand.

We continued to talk then got the bill, I was treated as the guys paid for it. Chad offered us his apartment for drinks but Alex and I said no; we wanted some time to ourselves. We said our goodbyes and got in his car.

“Have a good day?” I asked.

“Yeah, it was great! I’m glad you came along!” He grinned and leaned across and kissed me.

I got butterflies in my stomach, grinning against his lips, he pulled away from me grinning.

“You have fun?”

“Yeah, it was great hanging with you and your friends” I smiled.

“I’m glad!” He grinned and started the car.

“Cause...” He said peering round to the left, extending the ‘a’ in cause.

I got a little nervous, hoping he wasn’t going to say they disliked me.

“...they want you to come to Fraser’s birthday party”

My heart fluttered and I smiled to myself and then up at his, his hair messy from the helmet, making my heart flutter as I took in just how handsome he really was, how much older then me he was, but how strongly I felt about him. I got a little embarrassed and pulled my chin into my chest, trying to hide my blush as I felt a very light, dizzy feeling spread through me the words flashing in my minds eye, though I was unwilling to say them to myself.

“You ok with going? If you’re not it’s ok, I mean, I’d love you to come with me, but I’m not going to force you” He flashed me a smile before focussing back on the road.

“I’ll see...I might have homework that weekend” I flashed him a smile as he gave a short blast of laughter.

“Yeah, well, I’ll make sure you have none from me” He grinned.

“I can help you with this weeks if you need it?” He asked.

“No I’m fine with it thanks” I nodded.

He nodded too and focussed on the road, I turned on the radio and we sang along with some songs, laughing at each other. I couldn’t get over just how relaxed we felt around one another, to be able to act like this, like there was no age difference, as though we didn’t know each other from any other situation, it didn’t even feel like he was my teacher, it just felt...right...he was really my boyfriend, and I loved it...I loved him.