Vivid Emerald

one;

Cautiously, they observed her.

They circled, coming in closer every time, searching for food. That was the only thing humans were to them: a food source. Necks outstretched with beady dark eyes, never blinking because they were being wary in case she suddenly lashed out. But she never did. She held her ground, frozen in a straight position with a blank expression. If she showed them her fear, even the tiniest sign, they would attack.

Most people did not share her apprehension about the creatures, but they were insane. How could you not be terrified of them? Just because they appeared to be innocent and harmless did not mean that they were. Ellie knew that.

During her childhood, she had encountered a lone one. The little girl had done nothing wrong; she was simply going for a walk. Yet the animal had struck out, clamping onto her arm and tearing at her skin. Somehow the crying child broke free and ran back to her parents to show them the blood as evidence of the attack. Ever since that day, Ellie had rightfully dreaded them. It did not make a difference to her what breed it was, the size, or colour. They were terrifying beasts. End of story.

And now she stood in the middle of a hungry crowd of them, fearing for her life. Any minute now they could pounce together and that would be the end of her. She took in a deep breath as one took flight, flapping past her at a break-neck speed, the tip of a wing almost scraping her. By slowing her breathing, Ellie managed to calm her mind, though her heart still raced. They were preparing themselves. She knew they were almost ready to strike her. A little wave crashed around her calves as one rapidly paddled past her. She kept her focus on the tree in front of her. Eventually, they would go away. They would leave her alone.

Just when her reassuring thoughts appeared to be realistic, the creatures got spooked. The friends that had pushed her into the water as a prank all threw pebbles in front of her, the sound and sudden movement causing chaos. In a large bundle of flapping, most ducks took off from the pond and scrambled away from the girl. Somehow, Ellie kept a calm composure, not wanting to bring them back to attack her. Thankfully, a path had been cleared in front of her. Just a few steps and she would be able to step out of the cold water and run away from the rest of the flock before they made their move. She took in a deep breath and shifted one foot silently forward.

A duck swam into her way, still seeking food from her.

She froze once more. Her route was blocked.

The overly friendly duck gave her a questioning look as he held his position. His vivid emerald head would have been handsome to Ellie, had she not suffer from ornithophobia.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image.

Interesting to write, since I adore birds, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Feedback?