Nostalgia

Face to Face

"Do you understand what I'm trying to say here?" Santana asked, and Brittany just shook her head no as a reply.

Santana hesitated, looked around a little before speaking. "I want to be with you, but I'm afraid of the talks, and the looks, and you know what happened to Kurt at this school."

Brittany smiled. "But honey, if anybody were to ever make fun of you," Santana avoided Brittany's gaze, her eyes filled with worry, "you would either kick their ass or slash them with your vicious, vicious words."

"Yeah, I know. But..." Santana's eyes were starting to tear up, "I'm just so afraid of what everyone will say behind my back. Still, I have to accept that I love you." Santana was crying. "I love you, and I don't want to be with Sam, or Finn, or any of those other guys. I just want you."

"Please say you love me back. Please."

Brittany replied, "Of course I love you. And I would totally be with you if it weren't for Artie."

"Artie?" Santana asked, clearly annoyed.

"I love him too. I don't want to hurt him," Brittany saw the brunette's eyebrows furrow, "that's not right. I can't break up with him."

"Yes, you can!" Santana argued, "He's just a stupid boy."

"But it wouldn't be right." Santana shook her head at Brittany's reply. "Santana, you have to know, if Artie and I were to ever break up, and I'm lucky enough that you're still single…" Brittany tried to grab a hold of Santana's arm, but she yanked it away from her. "I'm so yours." Brittany smiled. "Proudly so."

Then suddenly, everything went dark, and Santana just disappeared in the hallway. Brittany was alone, and she tried to find Santana but couldn't. She ran from hallway to hallway, looking for a certain brunette, but she failed at every try. She kept screaming Santana's name, hoping the Latina would respond, but the hallways remained empty; her heart remained empty.

--

"Shh… hey…" Brittany was still frowning, making weird noises while sleeping. "Hey, babe, wake up." The girl continued to shake the blonde lightly, forcing the latter's eyes to finally flutter open. She noticed that Brittany was at the verge of tearing up.

"Babe, what's wrong?" The girl asked, her eyes full of concern.

Brittany blinked a few times, sat up a little in her bed, taking in the scene around her. She was in her room, the lights were off, and there was an arm trying to soothe her back. She looked at her left, and showed a fake smile to the girl beside her. "It was just a dream." She sighed in relief, and wiped some tears that were threatening to fall any second now. "I'm alright. It's nothing."

The raven-haired girl stayed quiet, just staring at the blonde. "Are you sure? Do you want some water? Do you want to talk about it? Do you—"

"Let's just get some more sleep." Brittany interrupted, not showing any signs of panic. The other girl simply just nodded, and kissed the blonde in the cheek before going back to her previous position. She couldn't sleep since then, thinking about what had just happened, and neither could the blonde, still thinking about one Santana Lopez, but they both decided that pretending to sleep and just staying quiet would be better than doing anything else.

--

The Latina yawned, "Five more minutes," she mumbled, without realizing there was no one else in the bedroom but her. After three minutes though, her phone started to ring, and the brunette, still thinking about the lunch "date" with Brittany, quickly grabbed her phone in hopes of talking to a certain blonde.

She was right about one thing: It was a blonde... but not the blonde she was expecting.

"What do you want, Stretchmarks?" Santana scowled, obviously pissed about waking up to the voice of anyone but Brittany.

"Good morning to you too, Santana." Quinn answered, laughing slightly. "I see you've just woken up."

"Yeah, thanks to you. I was having a good dream, and you had to ruin it."

"You're welcome." Q replied, very amused with their start of the conversation.

"So, what the hell do you want at this time of the hour?" The brunette yawned again.

"Well, you know how small Lima is and how fast the news spread," The blonde started, "And I just heard someone had lunch with a certain blonde yesterday." This got the brunette up and finally interested in this annoying talk with Quinn Fabray.

"Well Lucy," Santana chuckled, "if you really must know, we had a great time." The brunette warmed at the memory. It was the first time she's felt so alive in a while.

"I need details, S. Details."

"There's not much to tell, just that it felt like old times." Santana answered, still smiling, "We ordered spaghetti and talked about a lot of things – Glee, high school, even you and Rachel for a while – and it was so fun and comfortable—"

"Wait, you talked about what?"

"Oh, shut up, Preggers. I just said that I was surprised at the news that you and Hobbit were together, that's all." Santana said, "Anyway, we talked about our lives a little, and since I'll be staying for a little longer than expected here in Lima, we agreed to hang out another time…" the brunette was still smiling, but quickly added, "as friends."

"Well, that's good news!" Quinn exclaimed, whispering something to Rachel, which Santana couldn't hear much about. Suddenly, Santana heard Quinn scream and laugh, and then she heard a voice. "Hello, Santana? Are you still there?" Rachel asked, laughing very loudly like her wife.

"Yeah, Dwarf. Anything you need?" Santana replied, with a curious look plastered on her face.

"None at all, I just wanted to confirm if you're still coming tonight. You know, the high school reunion. I hope you haven't forgotten that. It's tonight at the William McKinley High School gymna—"

"I haven't forgotten, Midget. Stop being so excited about everything, jeez." Santana shook her head, trying to hide a smirk, but stopped when she realized Rachel couldn't actually see her.

"Fine. But just so you know, after the party at the gym, you have to go to the auditorium. And I mean it. You have to go." Rachel emphasized the word "have" a little too much, but Santana already understood the need for it the first time.

"No need to shout on the phone, okay? I can hear you well. Anyway, what's in the auditorium?"

"The New Directions reunion!" Rachel exclaimed, making her wife smile with adoration.

"What? Isn't the one at the gym enough?" Santana said, making Rachel frown a little.

"But everyone will be there, Santana! You're the last one I've invited because I know you'd be the tough one. Anyway, don't you want to spend more time with us? Artie will be there, as well as Sam, of course I will be there with my wife," Rachel winked at Quinn, "oh! And Mercedes will be there too, also Brittany, Mike, Kurt, Blaine…" Rachel continued to read the long list in her mind.

Santana stopped listening at Brittany; that was all she needed to hear anyway. "Fine, I'll come."

Rachel jumped, signalling a thumbs up to her wife. "Great! I'll see you there!" the shorter brunette said. As she was about to say something else, Santana heard someone grab the phone, and Rachel screamed something about that not being fair. Santana laughed at the couple.

"Hey, it's Q." Quinn finally said after a few minutes of indescribable sounds for the taller brunette.

"Hey."

"So anyway," Quinn asked, "are you bringing a date?"

Santana thought for a moment. A date? Is she serious? I've been away from Lima for thirteen years, and in those years all I ever did was study and work; socializing was never in my list of things to do for the day. She sighed, "No. I won't."

"Well, you should consider bringing one. You know, just to make it even." Quinn laughed lightly.

Make what even? Santana wondered. She didn't understand anything about what the blonde had just said. Nonetheless, she just ignored it and the endless possibilities of what that could mean. "I don't need a date. I'm sexy as hell, Fabray. The date shall come to me at the reunion." Santana smirked.

"Whatever, Lopez." The blonde snickered. "I'll see you tonight."

"Bye."

Santana hung up, and for almost thirty minutes, she just sat at the foot of her bed in deep thinking. "Well, you should consider bringing one. You know, just to make it even." Quinn Fabray's words continued to ring in her ears, and she pondered for a long time about what that could meant. She finally gave up, saying it could mean a lot of things, or it was just Quinn getting into her mind again, and prepared herself for her morning jog.

--

"Well, if it isn't Satan?" Kurt Hummel shouted from the far end of the gymnasium once he caught sight of the Latina in red.

"Hummel, nice to see you." The brunette waved at the boy approaching. "How are you?"

"Same old, same old," Kurt rolled his eyes, "and still fabulous. How about you?"

"I have to agree on the fabulous part," Santana winked, "and I've been great, just a little weary from all the business of New York."

Kurt smiled. Santana then remembered the raven-haired boy Hummel was dating the last time they saw each other. What was his name again? Santana thought for a while. "Where's Blaine? How are you two?" Santana asked, finally remembering the boy's name.

Kurt smiled slightly, shaking his head, "We're not together anymore."

Santana, wide-eyed, asked why. Before Kurt could answer, though, someone interrupted them.

"It's been… how many years… thirteen?" the man asked, "And you're still hot as hell!"

The brunette slapped his arm, "Hi, Puck."

"Are you not going to tell me I'm hot as hell too after all these years? Noah Puckerman grinned, earning another slap from the Latina.

Santana continued to catch up with her friends. She bumped into Mike and Tina, who were now married with two kids. Santana smiled at the thought of the Asian couple. They had been together since high school and the brunette was genuinely happy that they still are until now. Finn Hudson, much to Santana's surprise, was already married. She didn't know the girl, and nobody could say they did, but the brunette quickly became friends with Mrs. Finn Hudson, and they spent a lot of time talking and laughing. After a few minutes, the Latina heard wheels screeching to a halt behind her. She hugged Artie once he greeted her, and he introduced his wife to her. Santana was glad that Artie had found someone, which also resulted to the cute girl sitting in her friend's lap while playing with the wheels. Also present at the event was Will Schuester, their former Glee club and Spanish teacher. Santana noticed how much he has changed. He looked too old for his age. His hair was already white, and she could see a lot of wrinkles already. She almost felt pity for her old teacher, but she looked down and saw his hand connected to Emma Pillsbury's. The Latina saw the happiness in Mr. Schue's face, much like when he proposed to their former guidance counsellor, and she realized that was enough for the teacher. She suddenly felt a little pang in her chest. I miss the feeling, the brunette thought, and at that moment a certain blonde had entered the venue.

Santana couldn't take her eyes away from the blonde who had just come in and was now greeting Mercedes. Brittany was wearing a yellow ruffled dress, and her golden locks were bouncing gracefully as she laughed at something Mercedes might have said. The blonde finally noticed the brunette looking at her and smiled while coming near her. Santana stay put at where she stood, still hypnotized by the beauty that was Brittany Susan Pierce.

"Hello." The blue-eyed blonde greeted.

"You look…" Santana couldn't find the right words, "stunning." She said a little nervously, like a kid on his first date. Her eyes locked with the blonde's, and both were full of love and adoration.

"You too." The blonde grinned, still staring into chocolate brown orbs.

They stayed that way for a little longer, just looking at each other like there were alone in the huge gymnasium of William McKinley High School. They ignored the loud music, the balloons flying everywhere, and the multi-colored lights that kept shining on them. They continued, without a care in the world.

"Hey, Britt. I'm sorry, I couldn't find a parking space quickly so I was a little late."

Brittany finally broke the staring contest and saw the person beside her. She greeted the girl back with a worried face. Panic finally settled in the blonde's eyes, looking back and forth between the woman beside her and the one in front.

Santana, who was at a loss for words when she first saw the blonde walk in the gymnasium, continued to stay silent at the sight in front of her. She was trying hard to show her poker face, but once the girl took Brittany's hand and kissed her cheek, the brunette couldn't help but look away a little. Blue orbs finally met brown ones, which were begging her to tell the brunette what the hell was happening.

Brittany didn't know what to do. Yesterday, she and Santana were having a great time at Breadstix – laughing, talking, brushing their hands from time to time – and now, from what she could see in Santana's face, it was like everything was erased instantly. She remembered how, the day before, she decided not to mention any of this to the Latina, afraid that it might spoil their first meeting after a long time. She didn't even know how to say it to Santana, and what the brunette would react, so she chose not to say a word about it yesterday.

Brittany took three deep breaths, closed her eyes for a moment, forced a smile on her face, and finally opened them, looking at Santana.

"This is Spencer…" the blonde hesitated, "my girlfriend."