Note to Self

Don't Get Attached To Life

It was Saturday morning and Isabel was up at six o’clock, hoping that she wouldn’t make a bad impression on her official second day of work. She walked into the kitchen with a small smile as she remembered yesterday’s events. She and Ryan had bonded and learnt more about each other and she could honestly say, even though she hated herself for it, she was falling for her bosses’ son. Also aunt Teresa was finally showing an improvement and the doctors had pointed out that if Isabel was to keep bringing the money in then her aunt would be cancer free in no time. However, Isabel wasn’t sure if she was being used for her money and taken for a fool.

-

Isabel mopped the living room floor and hummed songs lightly whilst singing various words. It had been two o’clock by the time she’d finished her first room of the day, the study, and had then moved downstairs to her next destination. Upstairs however, Ryan sat on her bed with his close friend Brendon.

“Pete text me this morning telling me about the plan, you’re not seriously going through with it are you?”

“Yeah, why?” Ryan asked as he absentmindedly flicked through the magazine that was lying between the two of them.

“Ryan, I understand why you hate your cleaners but this is just going too far. I bet it was Pete’s idea to begin with, it sounds like something that sick bastard would come up with,” Brendon fumed as he glared daggers at his friend.

“Don’t lecture me Brendon. I don’t want a cleaner here and you know that. I don’t care about her age or why she is needing the money, I just want her out.”

“You are so selfish! I know you don’t want anyone to replace your mum Ryan but these people are only here for the money anyway so give them a break,” Brendon argued. He’d watched year after year as Ryan got rid of his cleaners one way or another but never had Ryan been so harsh with his tactics.

“If you’re going to be like that, you can get out of my house,” Ryan growled lowly.

-

Isabel put the mop and bucket back into the closet and smiled happily as she finally made her way back up the stairs with it being five o’clock. Half way up large oak staircase her mobile rang from within her pocket so she sank to one of the hard steps and brought the phone to her ear.

“Hello?”

“Hi, is this Isabel Hartly? This is Dr Monson from the hospital.”

“Yes I’m Isabel. Do you have some information on my aunt or is it about money because I can have the next payment to you in about a month but no earlier?”

“It’s about both. Your aunt went out this evening into the hospital gardens on her own and suffered a severe heart attack. Fortunately she’s pulled through but is extremely weak at the moment because of the chemo affecting her system as well,” Isabel let the words settle as tears stung her eyes. When she’d been to visit her the day before, she’d been looking so much more healthier, she couldn’t believe it.

“Because of her immune system being as low as it is at the moment, we are worried that if she were to get a mere cold right now then she’d pass away. All of the risks and procedures have essentially made progress more expensive and we therefore need the money as soon as possible otherwise we can’t help you aunt Miss Hartly.”

“I understand, I’ll see what I can do,” Isabel croaked out before hanging up as tears flooded her eyes and slowly but surely streaked her red cheeks.

She wasn’t going to be able to get the money easily, she knew that but was willingly to do honestly do anything for it. Isabel knew that if Ryan was to see her crying for a second time it would make her look bad so she immediately stood up and journeyed towards her room. She choked back a sob and jumped slightly when she saw a brown haired guy stood at the top of the stairs looking down on her. Isabel recognised him as Ryan’s friend from when she had first arrived at the house a mere three days ago.

“You alright?” He stupidly questioned yet she kept her eyes to the floor and speeded past him into her room.

-

Brendon stood stock-still. Ryan had told him to leave and when he’d gotten to the stairs he saw Isabel crying her heart out on the stairs so he wasn’t sure if she had heard their argument or what. He’d watched her as she had quickly walked past him and into her bedroom.

Unsure of what to do, he followed after her, knocked gently on the door before stepping into her room and staring as she looked through her drawers for something, anything, that she could sell for money. She let out a small scream of frustration when she couldn’t find anything and was about to let herself fall to the floor. On seeing this however, Brendon lurched forward and caught the distraught female pulled her over to the bed were her attempted to comfort her.

“What’s wrong?” He asked gently as he tucked a few strands of black hair behind her ear.

“Why would you seriously care? You guys all have as much money as you need and I bet you don’t have to do shit because your parents are there to support you all of the way. You all say that it’s not about the money, but it is!” She muttered harshly but still leant into his warm embrace.

“Come on, no need to take it out on me. I want to help you, that’s why I asked what was wrong,” He soothingly rubbed her back and rested his chin on the top of her head.

“You don’t know me, or my name and I don’t know your name only that you’re friends with Ryan.”

“I know for a fact that your name is Isabel and my name is Brendon,” Isabel laughed softly.

“Do you rich kids always turn up in a poor girl’s hour of need?”

“You know, you’re not exactly sounding grateful for someone to talk to right now Isabel.”

“Sorry Brendon,” Isabel sighed and buried her head into his chest, “I’m just so pissed off right now. Why should we have to pay for the right to live? Surely the government should put some of their funds into the hospitals.”

“What’s actually happened?”

“Well my aunt who’s also my carer had cancer so I was paying for chemo but I just received the news that she has had a heart attack and is close to dying unless I can pay for her treatment. Yet there is no way for me to get the money this soon,” Isabel choked back tears that threatened to fall again at the mention of the situation at hand.

“Does Ryan know about this?” Brendon asked and was quite shocked that Ryan was still planning to go through with his plan when this girl’s life was in turmoil.

“He knows that she has cancer but I’ve only just found out about the heart attack. Please don’t tell him though, he’s been kind to me recently but if he decides he wants to get rid of me still then there is a lot already that he can use against me and I wouldn’t like to add to the list.”

“I promise I can help you get the money Isabel. Don’t worry,” He didn’t know why he promised that to the Ross’ cleaner but deep down he knew that it was because he knew what Ryan and Pete had planned.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Hoosiers own the chapter title because they totally owned Saturday night >_<. Sorry Beki, had to mention it somewhere >_<. Anywhoooo...

I only read through half of that again so sorry for any mistakes.

Oh and please keep in mind that there is no NHS in this story so hospital bills are damn bloody expensive.

And now I've said that, I shall apologise pathetically. I'm sorry for not updating this in five months. I was at a complete writers block with it. But then with one magic comment from PeacefrogcoolLE25 and a weekend at my grandma's house later, I had produced an update... tada!

Argh I might be going to see Cobra ~Squeals~. I love you Beki O_O.