Bittersweet

Together Again

For the first time in a long time Georgie felt relaxed. The friendship between the two of them was heavily dependable on the other and having no contact really misguided her. She felt lost and angry, betrayed and hurt.

Georgie did find it sickening that she depended on him so much. Look at her, her fingers were latched onto his white tee so tightly there would probably be holes from her grip. She didn’t want to let him go, she refused to let him leave and he gladly never suggested it. Adam spent the night catching each other up on what the other missed.

She missed so much and hearing Adam talk about his new beau really reminded him of the way he used to talk like that about Anne. He moves on so quickly it made her weary of his intentions with each relationship and how seriously the girls are taking him.

No matter what she thought of him, Adam is still her best friend, a work in progress, but she cared nonetheless. This Behati girl needed to prove her worth like every other girl he dated after Jane. The name still had a bitter taste in her mouth, Georgie always remembers the bad things and she will gladly remind Adam if he needed to be kept in line.

The soft touch of Adam brought her out of her thoughts, he hummed contently with a small smile, “Glad that you finally got a good night sleep.” His touch fingertips gently traced the black circles around her eyes.

She wouldn’t admit it, but it was the first time she had a decent amount of sleep without being disturbed by her night terrors. Georgie nodded, pressing her body closer to her friend.

“What are you doing today?”

“Staying here with you.” Adam replied easily.

Georgie frowned, lifting her head up with a small suspicious look upon her. “You aren’t canceling anything, are you? You know I can’t stand that.”

“I will always cancel for you, but nah there is nothing planned. I promise.” Adam drew a cross over his heart, a childlike smile on his face. “Can’t I spend time with my little smurf?” He ruffled her tousled brown locks laughing at her irritated expression, smacking his hand away before rolling off the bed.

She attempted to until Adam held a firm grip on her preventing her from moving closer to her escape. “Adam, let go.” She whined, struggling against his hold. Georgie childishly kicked her feet, Adam kissed her on the cheek.

“Never.”

Georgie stiffened as she felt something graze against her ass. The small woman froze trying not to make any sudden movements. “Adam is that—is your dick pressed against my ass?”

There was a small pause before Adam said, “Whataya know, it is. It’s just morning wood, nothing personal unless you want to take care of it for me?” Georgie made a disgusted noise; the man hasn’t changed a bit. She would never take those words seriously considering that the rest of the guys taunted her the same way until she slept with Jesse.

That simple reminder made her push him aside and got out of bed, stretching all at the same time. Twisting her upper body, she playfully grinned at him hoping he wouldn’t catch the tension in her body at his suggestive tone.

“I don’t think you could handle me, Levine.”

“I beg to differ, Cortez.”

“Imma take a shower. Help yourself to some breakfast or take care of that thing in your pants.” Georgie gathered a simple dress and some tights before making her way to the bathroom, shutting the door before letting herself breathe.

This is a bit too much and a little too fast. Maybe she is reading into it too much, after the revelation with Jesse her conceited self-thought Adam is making the moves on her too. What was the difference between then and now? Adam always acted this way around her and now she’s all stiff about it?

Shaking her head, she lathered her hair with shampoo letting her thoughts soak through. Finishing her shower, she hopped out and dried herself before changing into the clothe she selected for the day.

The crisp cool air made her body tingle as she padded into her room with Adam sitting Indian style on her bed with a confused look on his face. “What’s wrong?”

His hazel eyes moved towards her, his fingers tapping on his phone. “Jesse called, said he wanted to talk to you? He sounded a bit off when I answered the phone. Is something up between you two?”

“No, why?” Shockingly her voice remained calm as her mind started to scream in panic. Why did Jesse have to call? In the morning of all things?

Adam didn’t look convinced, he shrugged, “I don’t know. Did you two have a fight or somethin’?”

There is no way of convincing Adam that nothing is wrong. She had to tell him something, anything, but the truth. Adam is the most protective out of all the boys and since he has known her the longest he wouldn’t bat an eyelash to throw the first punch at Jesse.

“Yeah. It was stupid really. A misunderstanding, I’ll talk to him after breakfast.” A tight smile made its way on her lips as he nodded.

“Well, if you need someone to talk to…”

“I’ll go to you. Stop worrying so much. It was a small petty fight.”

Adam was about to rebut the statement, but kept it to himself thankfully. Georgie rather not go another round with him after making amends with him. He needed to rebuild the trust they had and she easily let him go back to his routine of being a friend, but she is still standoffish when it came to feelings.

Georgie isn’t so quick to spill her inner thoughts to him as she used to and Adam could see that. He didn’t want to ruin their friendship so soon now that he got Georgie back in his life.

The tension didn’t fade as they quietly made their way to the kitchen. Adam opened the cupboard with a scrunched up face of disgust, all of her cereal brands had zero sugar and other than that she had oatmeal. “G, where’s the sugar?”

“On the second shelf.”

Adam feigned a laugh, “No seriously, where’s the real cereal.”

“It’s in there.”

“No it’s not.”

Georgie rolled her eyes, “I never understood why you like that sugary crap. It’s bad for you anyways.”

“But I like it.” Adam jutted out his lip like a child knowing somewhere in this house she stowed a secret compartment of sugary treats for a special occasion. It’s a long shot if she still had it after being away from her for so long, but he followed anyways.

The young woman walked across her kitchen and into the lower cabinet, pushing away some boxes to reveal the cereal he has been loving since he was a kid. Adam grinned childishly, snatching it away from her already serving himself a bowl.

Georgie shook her head as she grabbed her own cereal before pouring some.

When the singer took a spoonful into his mouth, he cringed at how stale it was. He spun the box to see it was three months overdue. If Georgie didn’t detest breakfast meals so much he would have asked for her to cook something more tasteful for him to eat. Georgie only ate cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, the woman couldn’t stand pancakes, waffles, anything with syrup, bacon or sausage.

It is a weird combination that she detested breakfast so much, but he kept to himself soldiering on.

Georgie smirked as she watched Adam cringed at every bite. She knew the cereal was stale and he deserved it. If he thought he would weasel back into her life without any tricks up her sleeve than he is sadly mistaken.

She isn’t nearly through with him yet and she will get him if the opportunity that opens up for her. Finishing her meal, she washed her bowl and Adam’s who finished a few minutes after her before she turned to see Kiwi perched on Adam’s shoulder. Adam gently scratched the bird’s head as Kiwi dramatically cooed at the soft touch.

He grinned, “Someone misses me dearly.”

“Misses me dearly.” Kiwi squawked.

“She doesn’t mean it. She repeats everything you say.” Georgie retorted.

“I don’t think so.” Adam mused, he stepped closer to the small woman brushing her hair from her shoulder. “I think she missed me more than she lets on.” His hazel eyes burned into hers sending shivers down her spine. Georgie licks her lips, wanting her legs to take a step back, but refusing to do so.

Why couldn’t she? Her body wanted to move forward, but she shouldn’t. Georgie had the will power to move on when he vanished from her life and he needed to earn his way back in like he is supposed to.

It was harder than she expected. Georgie urged her body to take a step back even though her legs wanted to move the opposite way.

“I think you’re being delusional. She moved on until you came back.”

Adam pursed his lips, “I think she’s forgetting what she told me last night and she didn’t want me to leave either.”

“No one was stopping you from leaving.”

“You were.” Adam stopped the little charade, ignoring Kiwi flying off his shoulder and onto the counter where the bowl of fruit was. “You didn’t want me to leave and I didn’t want to. Why are you making a big deal out of this?”

“When am I going to meet your new girlfriend?” Georgie circled around to another subject, quickly tired of discussing one that isn’t going to be solved in quite some time. Clearly she didn’t want to dig further into the sore topic. She didn’t want to give Adam more satisfaction that she wanted to cling onto him now more than ever, scared that he will leave her again.

He saw that he isn’t going to get his answer, he grimly responded, “Whenever you’re free.”

“I’m free today.”

“You’re spending the day with me.”

“And I can spend it with her too.” Georgie disputed. “We caught up as much as we could.” There was more that he wanted to say to her. That he didn’t want to share Georgie just yet, he wanted some quality time with her before bringing Behati around. He didn’t want her attacking his poor girlfriend because of the anger that still resided within her for his mistakes.

“Not as much as I would have liked.”

Georgie shrugged as if she didn’t care. Adam grew frustrated seeing that the walls were slowly building up again after being torn down for the night. Drumming his fingers on his hip, he caved, “I’ll bring her around later.”

“Good.”

“But, if I have to bring Behati then you have to bring the man you’ve been dating.”

Georgie furrowed her brows asking what he was talking about. Adam rolled his eyes, “Come on, G. I see the way your body is glowing. It’s that after sex glow and whoever you are screwing you should bring him over so I can see if he is even worthy of you.”

She tensed, “There’s no one, Adam.”

He couldn’t know about Jesse. She refused to let him know about what happened that night and him seeing right through her is typical of him. Georgie shouldn’t have let her guard down around him.

“Bring him or forget it.” He didn’t budge as they disputed on the fact if she is sleeping with someone.

Nibbling on her lower lip thinking about what she should do. She had to get the initial meeting out of the way or he will get the whole band involve in order for him to get what he wants. Georgie didn’t want that. She wanted him far away from Jesse as possible, the man isn’t a good liar and seeing that Adam and Jesse are the closest he would confess if Adam brought up the idea of forcing her to bring her ‘boyfriend’ around.

“Alright. I’ll bring him.”

Adam smiled victoriously, “Sweet. See you later, G.” He kissed her cheek before heading out the door.

Georgie sighed, “I’m in deep shit.”

Kiwi whistled, “You’re in deep shit.”

She groaned, as panic settled into her stomach. Georgie had to find someone to play along and fast or Adam will know something is up. The one thing she learned over the years is never underestimate Adam, he’s smarter than he looks.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like complete shit for not updating this in forever. So sorry, life has been crazy and I'm the godmother for my aunt's wedding so it's been a little crazy for me. Finding a dress and all that jazz plus helping with last minute things. I'm not going to promise to update weekly or monthly. I'm going to update whenever I can. Hope this can suffice until I have the strength to post again lol