Bittersweet

Match Made in Heaven

Georgie felt the panic settling into her stomach as she waited for her inevitable doom. Her so called plan is still on thin ice once she hastily called almost every friend she knew to see if she could pull off the fake boyfriend façade. So far none of them were up to par until she stumbled on a name that she hasn’t even thought of in years.

Quite honestly she was surprised she still had his number after the numerous fallouts that they had. The two never dated; only having the friends with benefits on the table until it started to become complicated then they split for a number amount of months to cool off before going at it again.

Then after years of doing so, he decided he couldn’t do it anymore. The detachment. He called her a bitter woman, cold and wanted no contact while they had sex. Georgie never understood why he became so soft after countless years of warming each other’s beds.

Just those words started a small debate that ended up in a vicious verbal brawl and with a definite slamming of doors and destroyed furniture Georgie never heard from him again.

Licking her cracked lips, she inhaled deeply. If she thought about it, he was one of the more stable and down to earth men that she has known throughout the years. He would be perfect to show off to Adam not only because Adam never knew of her relationship with Mason or even met the guy. All of it was low key.

Wondering if he still had the same number after their demise she tapped the name quickly to see the number etched in her brain. Should she call? She is becoming desperate only having a few hours before meeting up with Adam and his girl toy.

Setting the phone on the table she tapped the number quickly before hearing the ringing through her Bluetooth. The tips of her fingers grew moist with nervousness, rubbing them anxiously across the wooden desk before hearing the deep rumble of Mason’s voice through the cell.

Georgie’s mouth instantly went dry, hearing his voice again made her feel all kinds of emotions, but most of all, guilt. When he beckoned the caller to answer she verbally fumbled with her words before the awkward conversation ensued. It took as long as she expected, the warm curious voice turned hard and cold until she apologized full heartedly of her behavior all those years ago.

Didn’t take much for Mason to dial down his anger and fully listen to her. That’s what she loved about him; he didn’t stay bitter for too long and with years of mulling over what they had endured together. They went through a lot of shit together and when she gave him the water down version of her story which included her saying that Adam expected her to have a boyfriend after the glow she had, she had to take someone or they will be backtracking to step one.

“…Why don’t you take the person you actually had sex with? Unless,” There was a small pause before he continued, “It’s someone that he knows and won’t approve of.”

“That’s not the point Mason. I just need a cover up so Adam will get off my back.”

“It’s still a lie, Georgie. Look, it’s none of my business what you are dealing with, but if I was Adam I would want the truth not a cover up.”

Georgie bemused, it only took so much time before she saw why they always were at each other’s throats. Mason hated lies and cover ups, he usually always told the truth yet she begged to differ. She saw a value of lying from time to time, but let’s not get off subject.

“I have to meet Adam in two hours. Are you in or not?” With a quick glance at the clock she saw that she didn’t have the time to chat with Mr. Righteous. That would have to be postponed until further notice. Mason agreed to the plan much to her surprise.

Then he said something that sent her mind into frenzy. “Must be one hell of a guy if you can’t flat out tell him who you are really with.”

“I’m not with-never mind.” He had a point, with people she didn’t care for she bluntly told them what she thought, but this is different. This is Adam, her best friend. The same asshole that stranded her for countless months, but they were working on it. Georgie is attached to the man, but Mason didn’t need to know that.

Once she gave him the address of her house after much debate she waited for him to pick her up. This all felt surreal having Mason coming to her home after not seeing each other for so long; there could be a possibility this could be a trick or some type of payback after the horrible things she said to him. Then again, he was far more mature than she ever will be, past and present.

When she realized that she had to fix herself up she groaned at the amount of work she had to put into it. Adam will automatically know they weren’t involved if she didn’t put some type of effort into her wardrobe. Like she said, Adam knew her very well.

Pulling out all the stops she practically poked her eye out a thousand times, her eyes watering at the relentless probing before brushing foundation to cover the blemishes that decided to show up under her stressful life. With it being a cool day reaching in the mid-seventies, she wore a light jacket with her blouse and knee length skirt. To kick off all doubt from Adam’s mind she slipped on those dreadful heels she abhorred so much.

Slowly she took minimal steps to her living room where Kiwi was perched on her tree branch, fluttering her feathers. Right when she reached the sofa, the house phone rang making her silently cry in frustration.

Kiwi mimicked the small cry that did escape her lips before she hauled herself up to walk across the room and answered the phone. Muttering curses underneath her breath when she recognized the number.

“I’m not going to bail, Levine. Stop fussing.”

“Who said I was questioning your integrity?” Georgie rolled her eyes, leaning against the wall to give some weight off her feet. When she asked what he wanted, he openly advised her not to provide some type of scam to hide the mystery man she has been dating or seeing. He knew her and knowing she would try to cover up as much as possible, he wanted to let her know to give her some time before meeting up.

Pursing her red painted lips, she scoffed, “I’m bringing the actual guy. I promise you. No bullshit.”

“No bullshit.” Adam repeated as he nervously twiddled his fingers. “If I were you, I would head over now to avoid being an hour late.”

“Those were the times I was working overtime; asswipe and I told you in advance that I was going to be late.”

“Well, now I’m giving you a heads up. If you need to release some…anxiety with a little rumple between the sheets I suggest doing that quickie now before heading out.”

“Same goes for you.” Georgie looked at the phone with her tongue childishly sticking out before pressing it back to her ear. “I’ll see you in an hour. Stop calling me.” Ending their conversation by hanging up the phone she crossed the space back to her original spot letting all her nerves spin out of control.

Reaching into her purse, she fished out a white bottle before twisting the cap off and popping a pill into her mouth. Letting the drug do its work, she relaxed back into the couch. It was any given time that Mason was going to appear on her door step and quite honestly she was speechless.

And she was right.

Speechless she was, even with the pills that calmed her nerves she held onto her purse like a security blanket while sitting in the passenger seat of his Range Rover. Mason hasn’t aged in the slightest, maybe a few wrinkles around his eyes and lips from the constantly smiling and laughter, but other than that she felt incompetent.

His smooth Southern hospitality didn’t go unnoticed as he opened the car door for her and his dark smooth skin held onto her hand. Mason sold the boyfriend charade to the tee. Georgie on the other hand stumbled through her words and thought she could manage to say something smooth, but failed.

Her brown eyes scanned the area before she pointed in the direction of the heavily tattooed man sitting with a brunette that had childlike features. A young girl? Why wasn’t she surprised? The girl just oozed youthfulness and inexperience and the way she glowed whenever she looked at Adam just told her that she was already head over heels with him. Adam’s hand held the girl’s beside him before looking up at the approaching couple.

Georgie could feel the judgmental gaze upon her and Mason watching him pull out her chair. Sitting down, she smiled at Adam before feigning a smile at the child beside him. “You must be…Be-” She trailed off forgetting what Adam ranted about the girl in front of her on their day off together.

“Behati.” She finished for her. Behati’s pearly white smile almost stunned Georgie when she reached out a hand, “And you’re Georgie.” Georgie shook her hand seeing that her hands were twice as big as the young girl’s. Possibly because she had monster sized hands.

Pulling back a wince, she introduced Mason to the couple placing a loving hand on his shoulder. Mason reciprocated the gesture Behati showed to Adam and she clearly saw that he showed the same fake interest she had with Behati.

“Nice to meet you, man. Must be special to catch this one’s attention.” Adam’s gaze landed on Georgie’s before flickering back to Mason’s alarming large form.

“We actually known each other for quite a long time, but reconnected recently.” Mason and Georgie agreed that there was no use in lying about their past. It was far easily to tell the truth about their ‘relationship’ than make up something that didn’t sound as realistic.

“Really? For how long?” Behati scooted forward, a small smile displayed on her features when Mason relived the five years they have known each other and didn’t have contact for three.

“Interesting…Georgie never spoke of you.” Adam countered, with sharp eyes he gaze at his best friend and the man beside her.

Mason stepped up, answering, “We had a fallout. We’re fine now.” After that tension boiling, Mason stirred the attention to Behati who was more than welcomed to continue the civil conversation with him. Georgie glared at Adam not shocked that he attacked Mason, but the way he portrayed himself.

He was a total ass and for him to act like that around Mason would be an understatement if he found out about her and Jesse. Adam wouldn’t verbally attack Jesse, he would physically attack and possibly murder him. There is no way Georgie is going to openly tell Adam about what she has done.

Pulling back into the conversation with Mason and Behati she discovered they were talking about Behati’s hometown which Mason has done missionary work in. How wonderful. Not only was he a gentleman, but freaking mother Theresa.

Throughout the whole dinner date, Mason acted lovingly towards Georgie which she tried to receive as realistically as possible. There is a possible outcome that Adam rolled his eyes on several occasions, but she brushed them off as Behati cutely added how adorable they were together.

‘Match made in heaven’ were her exact words. Georgie’s lips stretched to a painful smile at the words and when Adam pulled her into a hug for a good night, he whispered, “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

Knowing those words held a deeper meaning she nodded before being caught off guard with a hug from Behati. Taking those steps back afterwards she waved at the couple before walking their own way seeing the nightlife consume Adam and his girlfriend.

“They were nice.” Mason quipped. “I hope you are going to tell Adam the truth sooner than later.”

As much as they displayed the couple routine, Georgie felt like Adam wasn’t all too convinced and probably will give her a serious chat later on. Not confirming or denying the suggestion from Mason, she let him walk her to his car. With having an even stressful night than before she fought off the urge of convincing the man beside to her come inside her home and settled for the vodka bottle in her room.

She didn’t know what to make of herself that evening and the changes of her attitude have become more visible than she expected. Letting a few tears slip down her cheeks, she swallowed another cup of vodka letting the alcohol consume her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Been having computer problems for the past few weeks so I wasn't able to write or do anything which drove me insane. So sorry for the long wait. Hope this soothes some part. The secret wont' hold out for long. It will come out very very soon.