Bittersweet

Truth

“You’re not seriously dating him, are you?” Adam’s piercing and disbelieving eyes glowered at her, not fully understanding how someone like Georgie could snag someone like Mason. Nothing added up at the moment and seeing them together is too good to be true.

Georgie frowned, pulling her legs up to her chest. “Of course I’m seriously dating him. Why would I lie about it?”

Without thinking, Adam retorted, “Because that is your initial response; to lie.” After that date night they all had together, Adam did call with suspicions and asked if she would be so inclined to come over to his house. She scoffed at the idea of her driving to his house only to be scolded at and childishly said that he should come to her house instead.

After a small debate, Georgie relented remembering the small lie that she has been covering up and going to his house may earn her brownie points in the long haul.

Hazel eyes not wavering in the slightest, he didn’t pull back as she verbally snapped, “So you think he’s too cookie cutter for me? Is that it? That he’s too perfect for a fuck-up like me?”

Adam pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration, he groaned, “That’s not what I meant and you know that.” With her bitter remarks, he felt like they were going into immaturity as if they were fighting over the last slice of pie. Being the adult, he simply stated that for once he felt like he didn’t know what to do when he saw Mason and seeing how well he treated her took him for a loop.

“I’m so used to protecting you over the douchebags you end up with that I feel dumbfounded when you actually get a pretty cool dude.” Adam mindlessly played with her hair as he became honest with her, Georgie sighed in understanding.

“He is pretty cool.” She agreed.

Way cooler than she ever expected him to be, Adam suggested that he take out Mason for a guy’s night out as a way to apologize. Georgie froze at the suggestion; guy’s night out meant Jesse is going to be there and him, Mason, and Adam all in the same place?

“I’ll run it by him. He’s usually busy though.” Her sad of an excuse fell through as Adam only dismissed it blundering he always could squeeze some time despite his hectic schedule. Somberly agreeing to extend the invitation to Mason, he pulled her in for a hug.

The Old Spice hit her in waves as he mumbled, “My little smurfy poo, all grown up.” Georgie growled at the nickname hearing him pout as he coddled her to his chest. Trying to twist out of his grip, he held her firmly in place humming a soft lullaby to have her cave into submission.

“Let me go, asshole.” The hard exterior that she had fell through as a chuckle escaped her lips when he overlapped his legs on her torso.

His lithe muscular body pressed against hers, he rolled to the side snuggling closer to her, his scruffy face rubbed against her cheek as the hot breath fanned across the shell of her ear, he whispered, “Never.” Georgie pursed her lips in silence before she openly embraced him since her limbs were loose at the moment.

When she did the gesture, he pressed his thin lips to her temple, muttering, “If you think I am going to let you go easily, you are sadly mistaken, my dear.”

She knew the double meaning of his words and embraced it all at once. There isn’t one doubt in her mind that have him let her go even though Mason is a good guy. Adam will always be there for her and will continuously watch any guy she encountered.

“Never want you to.” She truthfully answered, squeezing him tighter; he coughed dramatically as she rolled her eyes at his poor acting skills. Pulling back from her hold, he smirked at the cheesy joke before rubbing his prickly hairy face across hers.

Laughter filled the room as she felt her face trying to maneuver away from his, switching from side to side and every corner that he couldn’t reach her he did. Then she felt something smooth graze her lips, she questionably stopped the childlike charade to see him looking at her in curiosity. Did she just feel—his lips?

Georgie never wanted to be the dramatic one and accuse something like that. If she did it is a mistake, a poor misguided mistake on their part. “What’s up chicken butt?”

Blinking slowly to compose herself once more, she shook her head as she replied, “Nothing.” After a few moments, he released her slyly suggesting that they should watch ‘The Voice’. Georgie shrugged as she lifting her legs up to his thighs, “I’m more of an X Factor kind of girl.”

Adam gasped, eyes narrowing in playfulness, “You take that back or I will beseech you.”

Georgie huffed, “Everyone knows X Factor is way better than The Voice. That Adam Levine guy is so annoying with his chest puffed out all the time and romance he has with that cowboy. Why endure that when you can stare at Mr. Simon Cowell?” She dreamily added, folding her hands to the side of her cheek for extra effect.

That drew out the roll of his eyes, “He isn’t that great. I’m far better looking than that snob.”

“I disagree.”

“Should I leave then so you can attend to your sexual urges with Mr. Too Tight T-Shirts? Possibly using some device in your nightstand?” The grin plastered happily on his face as if he won the battle. Georgie flushed red; she shouldn’t have been surprised that he rummaged through her stuff and noticed a few things in her room.

“Maybe you should, X Factor is about to start and I need to get ready…unless you want to watch?”

Adam’s face twisted in disgust for a second before he had that fake smile, “I’ll gladly watch. It’s every man’s dream to watch a girl masturbate.” He batted his eyelashes dramatically in her face which she pushed to the side muttering his stupidity.

Before anything else is said, her phone started to ring. Adam quickly yelled, “Get the phone, Georgie! It’s ringing!”

Rolling her eyes, she swiftly kicked his shin before hopping to her feet and answering the phone a little ways from him. “Hello?”

“Hey, Georgie. You have time to talk?” Her back stiffened at the voice of Jesse filtering her ear, taking a glance back at Adam whose eyes were glued to the screen she whispered, “Now isn’t a good time.”

“Then when is, G? You’ve been ignoring me and we need to talk about this soon rather than later.”

Taking several steps into another room, she closed the door behind her as she continued to harshly mutter into the phone, “We don’t need to discuss this. It’s over and done with.”

“No, no it’s not. You left like I was some one night stand…Georgie; I’m not one of your fuck buddies. I’m one of your goddamn friends and keeping this hidden is not going to fly by me.” Georgie wanted to scream in frustration, why couldn’t he be one of those guys that was heartless, that could care less that something happened between them and let it be?

It had to be Jesse, one of the sweetest guys on the planet. “I left because it was weird. What is there left to talk about? That sums it up.”

“What about Adam?”

“What about him?” She placed a hand on her hip, tapping the hard wooden floors with her shoe in impatience.

“We have to tell him.” When she demanded to know why, she wanted to take everything back. She wished that she didn’t hear what came next because she wanted to remain blind by the fact that their friendship is something out of the ordinary. They were oddly affectionate towards one another and she dismissed every inkling in her mind until now.

“Because he’s in love with you, Georgie. Why do you think he’s so overprotective of you when it comes to men? He doesn’t think anyone deserves you including himself and if you were some random friend I wouldn’t put so much effort in trying to reach you after we slept together. All of this matters and if you aren’t going to tell him then I will.”

“Don’t—don’t you dare.” She hissed, tears prickling. Georgie already felt the guilt after she slept with Jesse that she ignored the fact about what this might do to Adam.

“That special friendship you two have isn’t healthy. Why do you think Anne and Adam never worked out? We all know him and Behati never will either because you two are too close, too affectionate and already act like a couple. Adam told me about your nightmares, how they disappeared when he came back into your life. There’s something between you two, Georgie. Why can’t you be honest with yourself?”

Georgie tightly gripped on the phone, sliding down the wall to the floor as she mulled over every single word that he has been saying to her. Why is he suddenly telling her now? Why didn’t he tell her sooner instead of waiting until they have slept together or Adam being with countless women?

One simple answer that sunk her heart like an anchor, “You two weren’t ready.” There is a small pause before he continued, “As for that mistake, I knew it was now or never.”

Leaning her forehead against her knees, she took in a deep breath as the bundle of nerves twisted painfully. “He’s going to hate me.” She whimpered; it was bad enough that Adam left her and never returned her calls, it’s another thing when you sleep with his best friend.

They are in the same circle of friends and having that happen with the truth revealing itself like it did only made her nervous.

“He’s going to hate me more.” He replied. “I knew about his feelings for you.”

Licking her parted salty lips, she asked softly, “How long?”

Jesse closed his eyes as he held the answer with care, “Far too long.” Knowing it wasn’t the answer she is looking for; he caved and said, “Four years.” A small hitch caught in her throat as reality started to sink in, she isn’t naïve, she shouldn’t be and yet she is.

Georgie couldn’t see pass the childlike nature he had about him and dismissed the ways he treated her for him being a friend to her. In that instance she felt utterly stupid for not seeing it. Sniffling, she paused when she heard a rapt on the door and Adam’s muffled voice behind it.

Pressing the phone against her leg, she told Adam that she will be out in a minute. There is a short pause before a hint of teasing erupted from his voice, “You’re not masturbating are you?” She could picture his sly grin.

Letting out a dry laugh, she responded, “No, you dumbass. I’m taking a personal call.”

“Personal call, sex call, just make it quick. I’m lonely out here.”

Quickly pressing the phone to her ear, she whispered, “I’ll tell him.”

“Good. I’ll talk to you later.” With swift goodbyes, she hung up the phone and wiped her eyes viciously to get rid of any sign of tears. Patting her face she gazed into the mirror seeing her eyes are still red and puffy. Thinking she can spare a few minutes in here to regain some of the original color of eyes, she heard impatient knocking.

Opening the door, she is met with the eyes of Adam as he looked down at her. Before he could answer, she said, “My eyes get like this after I orgasm. Don’t ask why.” Leaving him baffled at the door, he quickly followed her.

“Must be one hell of an orgasm.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Jesse with his words of wisdom and truth. Adam will find out in the next chapter. Any thoughts?