Bittersweet

Girl's Lunch

Georgie was vigorously typing away as she looked through her files to get more information on the case she was working on. It aggravated her that the abuser had left no evidence whatsoever or no record of assault. She knew that the little girl was hurt, yet there were no files that indicated that she was injured.

The woman sighed, pushing the screen away from her face she rubbed her temples to help relax the tense state she was in. Even though she loved her work, sometimes it got a little too much for her and it just pissed her off that this man might get away with it.

Cracking her back, she flexed her fingers as she started to backtrack what she might have missed the fifth time around. Maybe there was something hidden beneath all of these files that no one wanted to find. It didn't help that the defendant is a lawyer, an excellent, well profound lawyer at that. He would know exactly how to hide certain things and he might have stoop so low as to burning the medical records.

Nibbling on her nails, she scanned the files as she heard her phone buzz violently on her wooden desk. Her chocolate eyes glanced at the phone, before she refocused on her task. Georgie was not going to answer to anyone right now. There were more important matters than talking to someone about something insignificant.

A few minutes later, the phone gave her a reminder that the message that was sent to her, it was basically telling her not to ignore it. Sighing, Georgie picked up the phone to see an unknown written across the screen.

Furrowing her brows, she opened the text to reveal the sweet message that the mysterious person left for her.

Good morning, Georgie. It's me Anne. :)

Oh God.

Did she really have to do this? Right now? It was then that she remembered that she promised Adam that she would hang out with Anne today after the photo shoot. Glancing at her clock she saw that it was an hour before noon, meaning that the blonde model was done for the day.

Georgie reminded herself to be kind, letting all of her feelings being locked up tight, she text back, Good morning, Anne.

She had nothing else to say; if she said anything else than that friendly gestures she might explode from all the crap that she was going to be pulling out of her ass. The brunette wasn't so sure about Anne, even if she presented herself as a nice woman, she still has this ill feeling about her.

The phone buzzed almost too quickly, I just got out of a photo shoot and I know Adam told you yesterday that I wanted to hang out with you. If you're busy or don't want to then I completely understand.

Fucking hell.

Two things crossed Georgie's mind: one, Anne was a genuinely nice person and knew that she didn't like her and was giving her a way out or two, she is really good at manipulating people into doing the things that she wanted to do. Georgie really wants to believe that Anne is a manipulative bitch, but she took a few steps back from her judgment and tried to reevaluate what she thought.

Did she really want to lose Adam over a girl?

She knew that Adam would have no problem sticking up for the girl he is dating, trust her, it happened with Jane and the two didn't talk for months all because the fucking conniving bitch told Adam that Georgie was being rude to her, which wasn't true.

Georgie didn't want Adam to have another Jane; he didn't deserve another Jane. After what she has done to him...he deserved happiness and if spending time with Anne made him happy, then dammit she will have to suck it up. This is all for Adam.

Picking up the phone she quickly agreed to hang out with her and Anne quickly replied back asking if they could meet up for lunch and ask what she wanted to eat. Georgie was blown away at the thoughtfulness of this girl; she was the first one that actually asked what she wanted. Without a second thought, Georgie pursed her lips and typed that she would like sushi.

Most girls that Adam dated hated sushi with the raw fish and other sea creatures that would be on display, but Anne didn't miss a beat with her answer. Anne actually recommended a place that she loved and would go too often.

After settling the details, Georgie huffed seeing that she made no progress on her case. Maybe a chill and relaxing lunch would get her mind off of the stress that came along with her work and hopefully she will think of something. Grabbing her things, she walked out of her office and down the corridor, "Ms. Cortez?"

Georgie glanced around before seeing an older gentleman walking her way, with a stiff stance she halted, looking away and hoping that he would make it quick. "Hello Mr. Danes, may I help you with something?" she said it as confidently as she could.

The older man chuckled, "I see you still haven't gotten over your shyness around me. I know you aren't this shy, I have seen you in action, quite the firecracker." Georgie avoided his gaze as she fidgeted, feeling uncomfortable around him. He was one of the few men that made her jump out of her seat, Eric Danes was a proud owner and well known lawyer around the globe. He had done so many cases that included manslaughter, rape, and even celebrity cases and his success rate was pretty high.

She hoped that she was as good as him when she was around his age or at least done half of what he has done. Eric has changed the game of being a lawyer and he was one of the reasons why she chose this profession. "Was there anything you wanted?"

"Ah yes, actually I was wondering if you can stop by my office when you come in later. I have some important things to discuss with you."

Georgie's heart accelerated at the mere thought of a discussion with him; usually when he wanted to 'talk' it usually meant that person was being let go. Taking a solid and slow breath, she nodded, giving him a small smile before she excused herself.

"Hope you have a nice time with your boyfriend at lunch." Eric called out as she spun around and stalked to the elevator. She didn't say anything as she heard his loud gruff chuckle from the lobby. Some of her coworkers gave her a sympathetic look, no one wanted to be associated with Eric Danes unless there was a case and since he wasn't on any case, everyone steer clear of him.

Pressing the first floor button, she put a hand over her heart as she felt the elevator descending; now over whatever Anne wanted to talk about all she is going to think about is what Eric has to say to her. All her nerves were going haywire and driving towards the small sushi place that Anne suggested didn't clear her mind at all.

Once she stepped out of the car and put her sunglasses on to conceal her eyes from the hurtful rays of the sun, she raised a brow at the nice little restaurant that Anne picked out. Sure it was small, but it just oozed fanciness. The glass doors showed the whole of the elegance this place held and what some people could not afford in their life time. She hoped it wasn't something out of her price range.

Stepping into the restaurant, she peeked around before she heard a pair of heels coming her way, "Georgie!" turning her head, she saw the blonde standing up from her seat and walking over to her and giving her a hug. Georgie was stiff as she patted the taller girl's back as she let her go, with green eyes sparkling she asked, "Ready to get seated?"

"Yeah."

Following Anne, she heard the model ask for a table for two under her name and they quickly were escorted to the back where it was private. Despite Georgie not being famous, she did get her fair share of pictures being taken with Adam when she did show up for his events. She was known as his best friend, so if Adam's current girlfriend and Georgie's photo was taken together, everything will be under fire.

There would be no privacy for the couple anymore and things might go out of control, Georgie already knew that some tabloids already lied about how she drove away most of Adam's girlfriends because of jealousy, which wasn't true, Adam just had a poor taste in choosing the right girl for him.

Sitting across from Anne, she took off her glasses and perched them on the table. The blonde gave her a smile and she couldn't help, but give her an awkward one back. It was the friendly thing to do. "Georgie." her eyes flickered up to Anne as she folded her hands together, "I know you don't like me very much and it must be weird for you to have Adam being in a relationship again after being single for quite some time...the thing is I like Adam...a lot. Maybe more than a lot, I just...want to see where this goes and I promise that I am not going to do anything to hurt him. He has told me a lot of things about his past and I know how much you mean to him. So in all of this, I hope we become really great friends because I heard so many great things about you."

It shocked Georgie that Anne bluntly and confidently told her the first thing on her mind, after she just finished sitting down and wanted to relax. Georgie pursed her lips at the younger girl as she scratched the back of her neck, relieving some of the tension from her tight bun.

"I won't lie, I don't like you, but that's normal. I don't like any of Adam's girlfriends and it's for a reason. In all honesty, I don't care what you think of me, all I care about is sparing Adam's feelings so if you have any ploy to detach us from one another then you are sadly mistaken if you think you can successfully do that."

Georgie was getting defensive. She knew she was and it was pretty childish basically telling Adam's girlfriend that Adam was hers first and there was nothing she can do that can tear them apart. Looking into the green eyed model to catch any hint of jealousy, anger, or bitterness, she saw nothing, but understanding.

"I understand. What you and Adam have is special. You guys are best friends and I respect that."

It felt like there was some type of tension that was released when she said that, did Georgie believe every word she said? No and she didn't want to understand why Anne was being so nice. There was only one gain in being nice to Georgie and that was to get Adam in his good graces.

It hurt Georgie that Adam already shared a lot of intimate details with this woman that he has known for months, maybe six months at most. How can he do that so easily? He should at least give her some kind of trust exercise or have Georgie evaluate her before he started sharing things. When she saw Anne giving her a hint of pity, Georgie's mind started to race.

What else did he tell her?

Georgie opened her mouth to say something, anything. She kept a tight lip, it wouldn't be wise to sputter something out as heavy as that because what she didn't know and she outed herself? It would be the stupidest thing she would have ever done. "Are you okay?" Anne asked with concern written across her face.

"I'm fine." Georgie snapped, drinking the lemon water that was placed near her.

They were so into their conversation, she didn't see the waitress placing the glasses of water and coming up to them asking what they wanted. "Are you ready to order?" Anne questioned. "I'll have what you’re having." she muttered.

The blond nodded as she ordered for the both of them. Anne could feel the tension in the air started to thicken again making her wonder what was wrong with the petite woman. The model didn't want to think it was her so she guesses it could be work related. Knowing that being in the field that she is in, it must be stressful, so instead of asking questions about her work, she decided to ask something different.

"What's your favorite movie of all time?"

"Excuse me?" Georgie asked.

"What's your favorite movie of all time?" Anne repeated, "I personally don't have a favorite movie, but I can pick one from each genre."

Georgie thought this was the strangest woman she has ever met, was she really going to play twenty questions with her? Giving her a suspicious look, she answered, "The Lion King." it wouldn't affect her if Anne knew her favorite movie. It wasn't like she can use that against her in any way, but if they started to get personal, that is where she drew the line.

"Really? I wouldn't peg you to be an animated lover." Anne smiled at her choice.

Georgie shrugged, "Yeah well, I have a soft spot for talking meerkats and wild hogs." Anne giggled, "Well I have to say that my favorite animated movie is Cinderella."

Georgie scoffed making the blonde look at her, "What's wrong with Cinderella?"

"Nothing. It's just every single girl I have ever met loves Cinderella and I don't get why they love her so much." Anne frowned as she explained it herself, "Cinderella is one of those characters that every girl can relate to, being an outcast of the family and being used like she was while her sisters were gaining all of this attention was just cruel, but at the end of it all, the one girl that was invisible gets the prince. Every girl feels invisible in some way and just want to be seen by the right man." a smile hinted on her face by the end of her speech.

Georgie looked at her seeing the dreamy look on her face, "I still don't see why she is so special." Georgie got it, but she wasn't going to agree with Anne. That would make her up one; she also didn't think that Anne would be so sentimental and down to Earth. By the end of their meal, Anne told Georgie she was going to pay for their lunch.

She took offense to that, sitting up straight with narrowed eyes, "Do you think I cannot afford my meal? I am capable of paying my own way."

"No, that's not it at all." Anne shook her head, "It's just common curiosity to pay for your guest's meal. After all, I did invite you to lunch." Georgie bit the inside of her cheek as she saw Anne give the waitress her credit card to swipe through, it still felt odd to have someone like Anne being so nice to her.

She remembered back in high school, girls like her were always the meanest and bitchiest people around. They made her life a living hell, making fun of her acne, braces, and pudginess, she was scarred and self-conscious about her body for years.

"How about we go shopping? Does that sound good?"

Georgie stared at Anne before she made her decision, she didn't want to go back to work just yet, not with Eric Danes still in the office. She wanted to prolong whatever he wanted to say to her, "Sure." she hoped that she didn't get bit in the ass for accepting this invitation. With Anne smiling with a bright smile, she glowed taking Georgie's hand as she started yapping away about certain shops Georgie would absolutely die over.

I hope so.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks SynZacky6661 and Synful Shadows for your lovely comments. Hope you like this chapter between Anne and Georgie. Do you think Anne is being fake or actually being nice? Comments?