Bittersweet

Looking at Her Differently

The rest of the night Georgie felt tension, she didn’t say much as she pondered on what was swirling around in that male brain of his. Pursing her lips, she played with her chopsticks before placing the piece of broccoli into her mouth and chewing it as slowly as possible. Whatever he had on his mind, it was a heavy weight since he hasn’t spoken or thrown food at her.

There was no banter, no playfulness. It was just all…serious.

Georgie wasn’t used to having Adam so serious unless he was thinking about his horrible sense of a girlfriend, that used to be Jane, or he was stressed out about his career or what moves he wanted to make in order to prosper.

Whenever Georgie tried to break the ice, Adam would hum or made a small sound showing her that he was alive. Other than that, it was just the awkward silence and the occasional squawks from her parrot, Kiwi. Licking the grease off of her lips, she excused herself from the table; she closed up the boxes before she walked over to the cage and brought it upstairs placing Kiwi in the guest room.

Some people might think it was a bit extreme that her bird had her very own room, but the parrot needed some leg room other than the cage so she let her fly around the room whenever she pleases. Placing a blanket over the cage, she muttered the green bird good night hearing the mimicry of good night; she closed the door silently before heading downstairs to see what Adam was doing.

Georgie inched closer to the man as he continued to play with his food, moving it around with his chopsticks making a huge ‘O’ before placing a few peas as eyeballs and a melancholy frown as its lips. “Adam?” her lips parted as he ignored her.

Pursing her lips, she reached out towards him, saying his name again; he hummed this time in response. “What’s the matter? Is there something going on with Anne?”

“Of course you would assume that! You would like me to, don’t you?” Adam snapped as his hazel eyes burned into hers. Georgie took a step back as a frown creased on her lips, shaking her head at his assumptions. She just didn’t get why he would snap at her, he rarely did; the last time he had done it was when he was with that bitch, Jane.

“Of course not. I would never wish anything bad upon you, but if there is something going on. I want to know.” Georgie sat beside him as her hand reached between his shoulder blades in a soothing motion, she tried to comfort him. They were best friends and as much as she didn’t like Anne, she did make him happy for the time being. The only problem was how long did she make him happy for?

Adam sighed; rubbing his eyes furiously, “I don’t want to fuck this up, G.” he muttered, “I really don’t.”

“And you’re scared that you’ll do.” she whispered back, he nodded in confirmation. That was his main fear at the moment. He finally found someone that he actually cared and loved and sometimes his jealousy and one track mind caused him trouble. Adam was great with his band mates, with his music, but with temptation, relationships, and focus those were the things that he constantly needed to work on.

Georgie saw the confliction in his eyes when he lowered his hands and stared right at her; biting the corner of her lip, she said, “Let me clear a few things for you. Do you love her?”

“Of course I do.” Adam responded with ease. It felt like such a stupid question, but he was grateful that Georgie was putting her feelings aside and helping him through his doubts. He didn’t want any doubts between him and Anne. That was the last thing that he wanted to do.

“Can you see yourself living without her?” It was the essential question; the one question that he really had to think over. It wasn’t who they can see a future with; it’s what they can’t live without. Can he live without Anne? Adam contemplated about everything, he can see a few things in his future involving Anne that brought a smile to his face, but will it bring him endless sadness if they broke up.

“I don’t know.” He whispered.

Georgie continued to rub his back, “Then that is what you really need to think about. If you are having doubts now and can’t resolve them, then you will be in big trouble in the future…and if it all doesn’t work out, you still have me.”

Adam smiled softly, “Thanks G.”

“No problem, Addie.” Adam rolled his eyes at the nickname. This was the side of Georgie that he loved the most; he felt special because of the rarity she showed it to others. She may have that cold exterior on for most people, but when it came to the tattooed singer, she always had a soft spot for him.

With the outcome of it all he will still have Georgie, was does that really mean to him? No matter whom he was dating or sleeping with, Georgie always took his side giving him the benefit of the doubt and even when he was wrong, she was still there. Georgie has been the only girl besides his family that has truly been through the ups and downs with him. What if Elle was right? Why hasn’t he thought of being with Georgie?

The Cortez women didn’t know, but he eavesdropped on their conversation when he went to get their drinks when he dragged Georgie to visit her mother. He remembers Georgie laughing it off saying they were best friends and nothing more, but Elle made a valid point. They were already comfortable around one another, they been through so much together, yet they don’t have romantic feelings for each other.

It sounded kind of…wrong.

Georgie was like a little sister, she was the girl that he never even thought about pining for. Sure, Georgie is a spectacular stunning woman, all of the Cortez women were and for him to think about Georgie in that light…his hazel eyes glanced at the younger woman who had a comforting smile on her face. There was some sort of attraction that he saw in her at that moment.

The whirlwind of emotions that he was feeling were centering on her; it was an odd feeling. He never really zeroed in on a woman like this before, usually their looks reeled him in before their personalities, but Georgie was different. He knew her; everything about her, he already knew.

For some reason, he found that a little bit of a turn on. Then he quickly reminded himself that Georgie doesn’t want a relationship, doesn’t want to settle down, but he does. Not at the moment, but somewhere in the near future when everything felt aligned and perfect. There was no rush in marriage and it kind of sent him into a panic when Anne started to talk about marriage and their future.

Does he want a future with Anne?

That was the main concern; or does he secretly after all this time want a future with Georgie. He noticed that the young woman was giving him a weird stare since his gaze was on her for a few minutes. “Why are you staring at me like that? What are you some psycho?” Even her small lisp was enticing to him.

Shaking his head of the stupid thoughts that circled his brain, he lifted Georgie up over his shoulder; a scream fell from her lips as she pounded on his back for him to release her. “Never!” Adam threw his head back in a maniacally laugh. Georgie rolled her eyes as she muttered how special he was. Adam grinned, “You’re special too, G.”

More than you’ll ever know.

~~.~~

Georgie sighed as she lay on her stomach near the pool deck with her older sister, Emerson. The young mother finally had time to herself after her husband decided to give his wife some space after her announcing that she was with child. Georgie glanced down at her sister's growing belly that was out in the open because of the two piece bathing suit that she was wearing.

"Have you told mother yet?" Georgie raised a brow at her sister as the blonde quietly muttered something under her breath. Georgie craned her neck as she cupped her ear, "What? I didn't hear you?" A smile erupted from her lips.

Emerson giggled, "I didn't tell her yet, but for a good reason!" Pointing her index finger at her younger sister before she frowned, placing a hand over her belly she murmured, "I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up." Georgie frowned as well as her eyes darted over to her sister.

"You won't lose the baby, Em."

"What if I do? It happened once, it can happen again." A whimper left her lips as tears glossed over her eyes, "I just don't to lose this one too. Beau took it hard the first time, I don't know if we can survive another loss." The younger Cortez comforted the older one saying that this pregnancy can be the one where they finally have their baby.

No one wanted to be a mother more than Emerson; she was born to be a great mother. She had the patience, nurturing ability, and stern qualities that can make her an excellent mother to be. Georgie was happy that Emerson was giving her pregnancy a little more time this time around before she went to announce her future baby.

"So," Emerson changed the subject not wanting to get emotional so quickly after what happened last time. She went into hysterics when the doctor told her that she not only lost the baby, but they would have to carefully monitor her more closely during her next pregnancy. "How is Adam? I haven't seen him in a while."

Georgie shrugged, "Beats me. I haven't seen him in days."

It worried her that she hasn't seen Adam after he spent the night and they discussed his future; there was something going on with him that he wasn't being truthful about. Whatever it was, it was affecting their friendship because he hasn't come over since that time.

"What do you mean you haven't seen him in days. You two are inseparable." Emerson frowned at the mention of Adam breaking contact with her sister, those two were closer than close. It was uncanny how much they would be the other's support system when something went wrong. He was closer than she was with Georgie.

"I just don't know, Em. He hasn't called, drove by, or text me. It's a bit weird...it feels like he's avoiding me."

Emerson scoffed, "Adam would never avoid you, why would you think it's something like that?"

Because that look he had in his eyes, she thought.

It may have been an odd feeling that drove him away from her, but there was something going on that involves her that he lost contact with her. Maybe Anne asked him to stop hanging around her so much. That could be a possibility; no woman understood the uniqueness of their friendship. She valued it more than her life and for him to do this to her...

It hurt.

Georgie was emotionally hurt by his evasion and quickly she was becoming a bit bitter. The unsettling emotion was digging a hole in her heart as she glared out into the pool knowing if she ever saw him, there was hell to pay. He can't just up and leave her now.

Not when she needed him most.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for contance, the one person that kept bugging me to update. Sorry it took so long, hope you can forgive me. Adam is now seeing G in a different light, what do you think he'll do now?

Thanks silent readers and commenters you guys are the best,

fiction;

Synful Shadows (You shall see if his doubts mess with his relationship, do you think he is now? haha Georgie will figure out how to get laid, she's a pretty woman. She will find out someway to deal with her lonliness.)