Bittersweet

Wasn't Meant To Be

Georgie was entranced by the colors on the television screen as Bugs Bunny munched on the carrot as he teased Elmer Fudd. Giggles erupted from her lips as her six year old self loved the classic cartoons, her mind can easily wrap around the idea of a bunny being chased by a hunter. One of her favorite songs was when Elmer Fudd followed Bugs’ tracks singing, “Kill the Wabbit.”

A smile was on her lips until she felt the presence of someone else by the door. That smile quickly disappeared as the cartoons started to fade in the background, her grandfather stood by the door with a kind smile.

The thin wrinkly lips formed her name in a soft voice, “There’s my favorite little girl. How are ya, Georgie?” The door softly closed as her dark doe eyes glanced back at the television screen refusing to meet his gaze. “Is that any way of treating your grandpa?” The penny loafers padded through the carpet floor before he reached her.

Sitting down next to her, Georgie stiffened when she felt his arm wrap around her tiny waist. Her ears caught the soft inhale that her grandfather made, “You smell so good Georgie…I wonder how you taste.” He muttered.

Tears started to fill her hands when his hand started to go down south. Not once as she kept her eyes away from the television screen. It was still her safe haven. It reminded her that everything was only temporary. It will be all over soon. She just had to keep reminding herself that, but the pain of being violated just burned within her as he slowly started to peel her clothes off of her.


A scream erupted from her lips as she sat up suddenly. Georgie panted, eyes wandering around the room to see if her grandfather was around. With a shaky hand, she pushed her hair back muttering a few curses under her breath.

It has been a while since she had a nightmare about her molestation as a child. Her grandfather from her mother’s side was a twisted motherfucker. He preyed on her older sister first, Emerson went through it a few years before she developed quicker than a normal girl. Their grandfather showed little interested in Emerson after that and quickly found Georgie for that sense of release.

Her body didn’t grow as quickly and she wished every day that she would grew breasts. She would touch her chest and pray for them to get bigger, when she opened her eyes, she was still flat as a board. Georgie grew angry over the years and the abuse went on until she left to college. It felt like someone was playing a trick on her because after she left to college, her body started to develop properly as if her body was scared of showing up around her grandfather.

Adam knew about the molestation after she openly told him which in turn had him thrown in jail for assaulting her grandfather. Her grandfather was still alive and well much to her dismay, but she never went to family events if he was there. Georgie refuses to be in the same room as him.

She had a lot to thank Adam for, but lately he has turned into some asshole. After spending time with her, Adam suddenly stopped seeing her all together. Adam proclaimed he needed to spend more time with Anne to figure things out with her and he couldn’t do that with Georgie being around him all the time. What a load of bull.

Georgie became bitter and flipped him the bird wishing that she would never see him again, but sad to say that after staying awake after her nightmare and going to work the next day, when she drove home she saw the familiar car parked in the driveway. Rolling her eyes, she climbed out, “Let’s see what the fucker has to say.”

Unlocking the door, music filled her ears. The soft tune of the guitar and crooning voice of Adam echoed around the house along with a creaky like voice sounding like her bird Kiwi. ‘She Will Be Loved’ rang through the house like a mantra.

Walking closer to the living room, there stood Kiwi at the arm of the sofa as she sang along with Adam who had a small smile on his face. Sensing someone was staring at him, his hazel eyes peered up to see Georgie standing there with a frown and arms crossed. She was putting up her walls. That much he can tell, she rarely did when it came to Adam, but after being absent for a year he knew it was bound to happen.

“Hey G.”

The casual greeting made her blood boil, clenching her fists under her crossed arms, and she narrowed her eyes at the singer. “Hey G? That is all you have to say after ignoring me for the good part of the year? Hey G? Are you fucking kidding me?!”

Adam winced at the high pitch voice. He should have expected that, but the flutter of Kiwi’s wings sent him into a panic when she flew towards him, he ducked as she landed on the other side of the sofa. Adam wasn’t too fond of birds, especially if they were flying at him.

“Calm down, Georgie.”

The woman stomped over to him as he took a few steps back, with a menacing glare she growled. “You don’t have the privilege to call me that.”

“What, so I can only call you by your full name? You hate your full name.”

“Not as much as I hate you.”

Adam sighed, “Don’t do this Georgie. You know I wanted to still be friends-”

“And yet you told me that you can no longer see me. What does that mean exactly? I don’t want to be your friend, that is what that meant to me.” Georgie couldn’t believe that he was actually trying to justify what he had done. Adam made it loud and clear that he didn’t want her in any part of his life while he was figuring things out with Anne.

No other friend of his had to take the long break from him, only her. Was she that horrible that Adam needed to withdraw from her to really know how he felt about Anne. It was pathetic that he would use any excuse just to get away from her.

“If you really didn’t want to see me anymore, just be honest with me. But you weren’t. You had to come up with some fake ass excuse as to why you didn’t want to see me anymore.”

“That’s not it!” Adam growled as he rubbed his forehead harshly. He was getting aggravated with everything that was going on, it was suddenly becoming overwhelming. “I did want to see you, but I started to have these mix feelings and in order to clear them up I had to separate myself from you for a little while.”

Georgie laughed, “A little while? It was more than a little while, Adam. It was a whole fucking year.”

“And I’m sorry about that. Can’t we move past this?”

She shook her head, refusing to let this one go. “Oh no. We can’t move past this if you are going to keep lying to me. I cannot stand a liar and you know that.” Her vision started to get blurry while her lips were threatening to quiver, “So you tell me right now.”

In the midst of all this, Georgie felt betrayed. Out of all the men that she needed to have stuck by her side through thick and thin, Adam bailed on her. The one man that she can actually depend upon was the one that failed her. Anger seeped through her veins as she watched Adam take those small steps forward.

“Stop.” She croaked.

She kept muttering for him to stop, but Adam couldn’t. He saw how hurt she truly was at him abandoning her. Georgie held herself as she sobbed, Adam enveloped her into his warm embrace as he held onto her reminding her that she will never be left alone again. How could he forget what she has gone through?

The only man in her life that was actually dependable other than her father was him and he so easily threw that away just to be with Anne. The singer felt like an idiot as he held her closer to him, rubbing her back in a soothing motion, she heard her sniffles and her calming down.

“Where’s Anne?” A twinge of disgust twirled through her voice as she spat the supermodel’s name. Not to say that she missed seeing her, that was one upside of Adam being gone for so long, she didn’t have to see her face. There was a small silence as Adam said those words that she thought she would never hear from him again.

“We broke up.”

Georgie couldn’t help, but be rude. “Why? I thought she was the one.” She rolled her eyes at the words that Adam said to her when she first met Anne.

Adam shrugged, “Just wasn’t meant to be.”

Pressing her head into his chest, she felt slightly better that the relationship of Anne and Adam were over. The sad thing was that Adam quickly rebounded into another relationship, the same type of girl all around. A Victoria Secret supermodel, the only thing is that she was far younger than Adam and Georgie kept her distance of Adam not knowing what was going to happen next.

Everything was on unstable ground, Adam chose horrible girlfriends no matter how great they were. Adam made stupid decisions about the people around him because of his affiliations with his girlfriends and she wondered what he was going to do now that he had a new girl around his arm.

Guess he isn’t ready to settle down like he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short? Yes. Necessary chapter? Yes. Anne was only a small tip of the iceberg of Georgie and Adam's friendship and troubled emotions that are settling in. Adam realized what he was feeling for Georgie so what did he do? He ran. Let's see what he does next. I wonder how long Adam can fight his feelings for Georgie.
Thank you for the people who urged me to write the next chapter. This one is for you. A little history on Georgie's background.