The Art of Molnija

1

“Happy birthday Kristopher.” I said cheerfully. The Moroi squealed as he took the comic book from me and I smiled. His parents stood behind him smiling gently. They still liked me apparently even if everyone else at the party didn't. Kristopher hugged me and a note of disprovable came from the Moroi girl beside him. She was a petite brunette who hated me for my disgrace. You could tell in the way she gripped Kristopher’s arm once he pulled away.

“Isn’t he too old for comic books?” She sniffed and cuddled to his side. Kristopher’s eyes were on the DC comic in his hands.

“No way.’ Kristopher said beaming.
“I’ll love these till I die.”

“Well I’m happy I could help.” I said before leaving Kristopher to his guest.

The golden ballroom was decorated in green and blue steamers and flowers. Kristopher’s favorite colors. Moroi danced and gossiped, shadowed by their Dhampir guards. Their eyes watched me critically. The Moroi with either lust or cruelness and the Dhampirs with disappointment. I stole a glass of wine from a passing waiter then went to the balcony. I nodded at the Dhampirs guarding the giant french doors as I waked out but they kept their eyes forward.

“You shouldn’t be out here alone Nidia.” I turned around and leaned against the banister of the balcony. The air was stuffy and humid but it was better than being in there. People stared at me and I’d heard bloodwhore whispered more than once.

“Shouldn’t you be in there protecting Moroi? If my memory serves me that’s a big no no to leave them at anytime.” Kayo chuckles.

He had classic Asian and African American looks. Eyes that held a slight almond shape and skin the color of caramel. His black hair was cut short unlike the shoulder length look he’d sported in our youth.

“You still remember your training?” Kayo said coming to stand beside me. I nod and turn away from him to look out into the woods. The school was nestled in the mountains of Vermont and hidden with magic. My eyes caught dark shapes darting around, Dhampirs who had dedicated their lives to the people who just thought of them as human shields who they could sleep with. A life I hadn’t chosen. A life I’d been dragged back into thanks to Kristopher. He was my best friend and the only one I’d stayed in contact with after I left this life. I looked forward to leaving again the second Kristopher’s birthday bash was over.

“How have you been Nidia?” Kayo asked and I scoffed.

“What?” He asked smiling softly and showing off that dammed crooked smile. That smile used to greet me every day we’d train and I’d missed it. Not that I’d ever admit it. I tossed back the last of my wine then sat the glass down on the banister.

“You haven’t said a word to me in over four years why do you care now?”

“Because I’ve always cared and it was you who left without a trace.” I glared at him. Kayo glared right back at me.

“Well you weren’t on my side when I deiced to leave.”

“The reasoning was stupid.”

“You don’t know shit Kayo.” I bit out the words sharp as a Strigoi’s fang.

“I know that you gave up everything you’d spent your knife doing because you got paired with some asshole Moroi.” He snapped back at me.

I squeezed the stem of the wine glass so hard it snapped and cut my hand. I cursed and let the wine glass fall from my hands. Kayo reached for my hand and I snatched it away from the Dhampir.

“Stop being stubborn and let me help you.” He said this time not a tint of anger in his voice. We were locked in a battle of fierce hazel against chocolate brown.

“I’d be willing to help you little Dhampir.” Kayo jerked me behind him and I stumbled in my heels.

I righted myself as Kayo staked a Strigoi. He moved with the grace of a dancer but the fieriness of a wild cat as he smashed his silver stake into another Strigoi’s nose before staking him. I gripped the hem of my dress and ripped it. The plum materiel slit to my thigh just as a Strigoi advanced at me. He moved quickly and I heard Kayo scream my name.

The Strigoi smiled and cocked his head. His red eyes glowed against chalky skin that was partially hid by stringy brown hair. His fangs curled over his bottom lip lethal and sharp.

“You smell great little Dhampir. Mind if I have a taste?”

“Yes I do.” I said yanking a silver chain free from my thigh and tossing it so it would wrap around his throat. The Strigoi gagged and his hands flew to chain. He hissed once his hands touched it. More Strigoi where flowing onto the patio in waves and I realized I need to get somewhere safer.

I kicked the Strigoi in the center of his chest and he fell from the balcony. I wrapped more of the chain around my wrist and darted into the ballroom. The room that just seconds ago had been full of snooty Moroi enjoying a part was now a battle ground.

Dhampirs where hurrying Moroi to safety and staking Strigoi around me. Blood, wine and sweat tainted the air as I aided other Dhampirs in the killing of Strigoi. Strigoi could only be killed with a silver stake through the heart, burning or being decapitated. My chain wasn’t strong enough to do either.

“Nida!” I looked to my left and saw Kayo. He tossed me a stake and I caught it before whirling around to punch a hole in a Strigoi’s chest. I was rusty that was for sure. I remembered enough to keep me alive though. All the while my eyes where looking for a frosty haired Moroi.

Kristopher was nowhere in sight and I could only hope he was safe. He was the birthday boy so maybe they’d saved him first. Then again knowing Kristopher he might have tried to help fight. It was the only time he broke Moroi code. The fire elemental had begged me to train him and if he wasn’t able to be saved I could only hope that would help him. Suddenly I spotted him ducking into the hallway that led into the kitchen, his white blond hair sticking out among the black clothed figures. I darted after him and was surprised when I didn’t see any Strigoi in the hall.

“Kristopher its Nidia.” I said. I turned a corner and realized why no Strigoi where in here. The whole kitchen was filled with silver. Kristopher was leaning against a counter panting. His hair was spiked crazily and he was dressed in a ripped up suit. Blood was smeared across a pale cheek and his fangs curled to his bottom lip.

“Kristopher are you okay?” He looked up crystal blue eyes full of tears.

“Go Nidia.” He bit out. I was about to yell at him to find somewhere safe when someone covered my mouth.

“Shhh kitten. I’d hate to kill you . . . right away.” I smashed my stake into the Strigoi’s stomach and he shoved me to the ground. Instantly another Strigoi’s foot was on my chest. I glared up at him. He had long dark brown hair tied into a ponytail and an evil smirk on his thin pale lips. I tried to stab his ankle but he stepped on my hand until I released the stake.

“You fucker!” I yelled.

“Don't kill her I want to keep her around.” The first one said. His hair was cropped closely to his head.

“Oh come on . I want to drain her.”

“You. Wish.’ I spat. The Strigoi chuckled and dug his booted foot into my chest. I gasped.

“Can we please just do this?” Kristopher asked.

“Of course princeling.” I struggled as the Strigoi with cropped hair stepped over to me and went to Kristopher. Both Strigoi where covered from head to toe in black cloth to protect themselves from all the silver.

The Srtigoi tilted up Kristopher’s chin up before sinking his fangs in. Kristopher’s hands flew to his biceps and he groaned. I struggled in vain as I tried to get to them.

I swallowed he fed greedily at Kristopher’s throat. Kristopher slumped in Muscle’s arms and the Strigoi groaned. After a few second he tore his mouth away and took deep breaths he didn’t need. Kristopher hung limply in his arms weak but still alive. It was then that I realized he had given him a present that meant more than anything I could have bought. Kristopher wanted to be immortal and had just been given him that. Happy fucking birthday. Hopefully my life wasn’t going to be a bonus.
♠ ♠ ♠
Iffy about this. I'll probably re do it later. This story should be continued for the rest of the contest. Stay tuned for the second chapter to see if you truly like it because I promise it will be better.