The Art of Molnija

3

Kayo

I’d known Nadia since we were kids. She was always a fast learner and the best fighter. Her mother, Ariel, had decided to take care of Dhamphir children rather then fight. So she was treated like dirt. Rumors where always flying about how any Moroi man could easily get Ariel to spread her legs. Everytime time I met Ariel she conducted herself in a way befitting a queen. Nadia however spent a majority of her life with bloodied knuckles from punching said gossipers in the mouth.

Once after a really bad day Nadia had appeared at my dorm door. We’d snuck off and headed to the top of the wreckage of the last academy. Nadia's face showed she’d been crying but I knew better then to mention it.

Her ever changing hair color had been blue at the time and sat securely in a ponytail. Her knees where drawn to her chest and she looked like she was attempting to collapse in on herself. I looked at the sky waiting for her to talk.

“You know how in class they were talking about how they might send Dhampirs out to protect a year early?” I nodded. Strigoi numbers had been on the rise and the number of dead Moroi had been creeping up. So it was natural that Moroi would sacrifice the Dhampirs.

Nadia stretched out her legs and glared off into the distance. The vulnerability was gone again replaced by the cold exterior she showed everyone. Nadia rarely talked in class unless it was with me or other close friends. She didn’t even throw off tons of snarky remarks unless something was said directly to her. If you pissed her off enough you got a boot to the face.

“Today in class some idiot said if blood whores took a dick out of their throat long enough to fight we wouldn’t have to send children out to slaughter.” The words cut through the cold fall air and floated around us. I grabbed her hand and flipped it palm side up. I started to trace out the lines as I talked.

“Nadia you know how people just say things they probably weren’t talking about-“

“Then he turned to me and said right Nadia? I’m sure you and your mom understand that.” She sniffed and I knew she was crying again. I pulled her closer and allowed her head to fall to my chest. Angry sobs escaped her throat as she screamed, my chest muffling the sounds.

“My mother isn’t a blood whore and I will never become one! I hate the Moroi for how the treat us! The only reason I haven’t just quit is because I know they’re there are ones like Kristopher around. Moroi’s who want to fight and protect themselves, who care about Dhampirs further then sex, blood or a shield.”

“I know and I. . . love you.” Nadia hugged me.

“I love you to.” She said. I sighed and pushed her away a little. She looked confused until I leaned forward. Just as our lips where abut to touch she gripped my shoulders and pushed me away.

“N-n-no.” I yanked her arms so they went around my neck and our lips met.

It was a truly awkward kiss of mashing teeth and tongue. This wasn’t my first kiss but I was nervous kissing the girl of my dreams. Nadia's nails dug into my shoulders before she kissed me back. The kiss melted into something sweeter and I slid her onto my lap. Once we pulled apart she giggled. I actually made her giggle.

“Wow you suck at kissing.” She said leaning back on her hands. I groaned and covered my face.

“I get better with practice.” Nadia smiled and brushed my hair from my face.

“Then let’s practice.”

“As you wish.” I whispered before capturing her lips again.