‹ Prequel: Seashells

Palm Trees

don't crash your car

I drove.

I kept driving and driving. From my house in New York, it only took a few hours to get to Matt's in Massachusetts. The address he gave me was located somewhere in Rhode Island.

I wondered why, of all places, you would choose to move there, the smallest state in the United States. Then I figured you were a small town kind of girl; maybe small states suited you too.

It took another few hours to get there. It wasn't really that long, but they were uneventful, dragging hours. I was surprised I didn't get into an accident or something, because my mind was not on the road. It kept wandering. I got to the point where I wondered, why the fuck and I even doing this?

Really. What did I expect once I saw you? What were we with each other?

I wanted to talk, I decided. To talk about what happened and nothing more. Still, there was the matter of what we were going to talk about. What would fill the little silences between every question and explanation?

It was night when I finally got in town. To late for any visits, definitely. It was hard not to barge right into your house; I was desperate for answers. But I held myself back and got a room at a motel. I guess I had to stay in one after all.

That didn't mean I could sleep. I tried and failed. I couldn't stop thinking about... well, everything. I wondered how I was going to explain everything when I got back home. I decided not to think about it yet.

So that left you in my mind. I didn't know if I even wanted to see you. That was kind of ironic because I came all this way to see you. Maybe I didn't want to, but it was something I had to do. Just like I told Hannah.

Around ten, I deemed it an acceptable hour for visitors. I went to the address Matt gave me, having a little bit of trouble in the process. I sat in the driveway for ten minutes, readying myself. What for? It should be easy to talk to you.

When I gathered up the nerve, I walked up to the door and rang the doorbell. I was holding my breath without realizing it. When it opened, I let out a sigh.

"Aden?"

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
It's my birthday today. Yay.