Status: In progress. Updates when I get the chance.

Cross My Heart

Surprise!

“But Mr. Samuels is Friday!” Josh whinnied beside me in math class.
“Yes, Mr. Ramsay, it is. Gold star.” Mr. Samuels let his usual sarcasm shine. “I will repeat, I want page 298 finished, marked, and corrected on my desk by Monday from each and every one of you.”
Josh groaned and fell back in his seat. Since we sat in quads of four desks shoved together, I reached over and gave his hand a re-assuring squeeze. “I swear to god, this class will kill me yet.”
“Think of it Josh, next year you get to be in grade 12!” I said to him sarcastically.
“Haha.” He said in a very monotone voice. “Very funny Phoenix, it’s a good thing I love you or you’d be all alone on a church doorstep.”
“I’m just here to provide comic relief.” I protested, continuing to scribble the lyrics to 86 by Green Day onto the cover of my note pad.
Truth was, I knew my jokes had been lacking recently. It was the last week of school and Lisa was still in the hospital. Josh had pulled three more unexplained disappearances, and Adam was drinking and smoking more than before – which was saying something.
I didn’t know what to think. A teacher who had caught wind of my situation at home suggested speaking to the school counselor…yeah, over my dead body. I didn’t need help. I pulled through a lot worse on my own.
“So when do you plan to actually do page 298?” I asked Josh, not looking up from my note pad as I felt him twist a lock of my hair around his finger.
“I in fact, was planning on using this weakened to surprise you…but if you insist on doing homework well I guess-“
“With what!?” I spun in my chair, excited now.
“Well it’s not a surprise if I tell you now is it!?” Josh mocked my excited tone and laughed. “Just something to celebrate the fact that Sunday marks our 7-month-aversary.” I chocked on a laugh as Josh said that word.
“Isn’t the girl supposed to be the one obsessing over stuff like that?”
“You calling me a girl!?”
“You calling me a man!?” Before anything serious could happen Josh and I dropped the act at the same time, bursting into hysterical laughter.
The two people sitting across from us seemed slightly scared.
When Mr. Samuels set up the seating arrangement he gave everyone the choice for one person in the group, then he pieced the pairs together. So of course, Josh and I we’re stuck with two goody-two-shoes who’s names I am 90% sure we’re Catherine and Carol.
“Could you guys be quite please?” Carol spoke in a quite voice, brushing blonde hair from her face shyly. “W-we’re trying to work.”
“Yeah, yeah, sure Carrie.” Josh said. I raised an eye brow at him, he shrugged. “Ran into her at a party a few weeks ago.” Josh whispered to me. “She flirted her ass off and told em to call her Carrie…you’ll be grateful to know I showed no interest.”
“Okay, one, Carol!? At a party!?” I whispered back. “And two, where was I this whole time!?”
“You, my love, we’re sitting at home not wanted to come because I said Amanda would be there.” Oh…right…I remembered that.
“Oh…yeah.” I said, giving up and falling back into my seat. “So are we gonna try and get this work done, or is the surprise simply sitting in your basement doing math homework?”
“Work now, because I have band practice on Saturday, and you’re surprise is happening weather you want it or not on Sunday.”
*
“A surprise!” Shaun started squealing when I told her what Josh had told him in Math the previous day. “OMG! I bet he’s gonna take you out for dinner at that new place down town. The really expensive one.”
I nearly choked on my coke. We sat in Steve’s kitchen, simply using his air and drinking his coke. The guys we’re down stairs practicing.
“Did you just say ‘Josh’ and ‘expensive’ in the same sentence without ‘guitars’ in the middle!?” I exclaimed.
“Okay, I’ll admit it’s a stretch.”
“A stretch!? Monkey’s will rule the world before Josh buys me an expensive dinner.” I laughed. “Cat’s will harness dogs as they’re masters, Billie Joe Armstrong will be president of the united sta-“
“I get it.” Shaun cut me off by covering my mouth with her hand. “Josh is going to be cheap.”
“Thank you for accepting my boyfriends complete lack of money.” I said with a huge smile.
“Hey, so you knows, I got a job last week.” Josh walked into the kitchen.
“Oh? Did you now? And what is it you do, at said job?” I asked.
“Sinmag temsan.” Josh mumbled into the fridge, as if he we’re ashamed.
“What was that?” Shaun said, a huge smile on her face. She obviously knew. “I didn’t quite catch it?”
“Singing Telegrams, dammit! I have no balls!” Josh exclaimed as Shaun fell to the floor laughing.
“I think it’s cute.” I said from my place still seated on the counter. Shaun laughed harder.
“Well, since I got a job I now have a car. Be jelly, Shaun.” Josh sad, marching back to the garage to join the rest of Ramsay’s Fiction.
Shaun sat up and looked over at me. “You really think him doing singing telegrams is cute?” She asked.
“No, not at all. I think he has no balls.” Shaun laughed and fell over again.