Status: In progress. Updates when I get the chance.

Cross My Heart

Stand By Me Please

I walked with Josh towards the school for the first time in 3 weeks. He wore the hat and the sweater I had given him and held my hand.
In my other hand was my iPod.
“Do you listen to anything but Green Day?” Josh asked, he had one head phone in his ear.
“Sometimes. Not usually though.”
“I like this song though.” Josh said, squeezing my hand. “It reminds me of you.” I blushed. We we’re listening to 80. (Author* NOT 86! To morons who might think that) “You’re so cute when you blush.”
“Shut up, I look like a clown.” I complained and he remained silent as I switched the song to F.O.D.
The first few periods of school passed quickly. My homework pile and bag weight steadily increased and I felt the weight life off my shoulders as I dumped the bag in my locker and headed for Home Ec class. I was terrible at cooking, but I thought I could slip by just letting the rest of my group do the work…nope.
As people took their seats, there was one, lonely table left with no one sitting at it.
“Okay class, welcome to Home Economics…Miss. Hansen, please take a seat.” The teacher gestured to the table. Now I was wishing I’d picked Family Studies for second semester.
I made my way over and took a seat on the far right, as far from the teacher as possible.
“Well, we’ll just be making something simple today. Cookies. I’m sure you’ve all…Mr. Ramsay. You’re late.” I looked over to the door to see Josh trying to sneak it.
“Yeah…I got hung up…”
“I don’t care what you and you’re girlfriend were doing, just take a seat.” Josh hurried over and sat beside me.
“I was unaware we we’re doing anything, actually.” Josh whispered to me. I nudged his ribs when the teacher shot us a look. I gave her a sweet ‘Boys? What can you do?’ smile, which she scowled back at.
“Cookies.” She clapped her hands together and addressed the rest of the class, not looking to the table in the corner.
“You’re not by any chance a master chef?” I asked Josh as I attempted to tie an apron around my waist.
“No, I was hoping you were.” He took the string in his hands and tied the knot for me.
“God, we’re gonna burn down the school aren’t we?”
“Maybe…” Josh looked at the recipe the teacher had given us, then opened the cupboard and pulled out a large container filled with flour. An evil smile played on his face as he pried open the container and grabbed a hand full of flour.
“You do it you die.” I warned him, he didn’t listen and threw the flour on me. “You did it!” I yelled and jumped on his back. “Rawr!” I bite his neck and he laugh. “You little fucker. You seem to be impervious to my vampire skills.” I jumped down off my back. “Now make me cookies.” I ordered him.
“Okay, okay. Just don’t bite me again.”
*
For the first time in my life, everything was alright. I had a boyfriend who loved me. A best friend that had my back through thick and thin. The closest to parents I could get and a stable house hold. I hadn’t tried to run away once. And never once did I regret it.
“See you at lunch.” Josh kissed the top of my head as I took my turn towards the gym.
“Happy birthday.” I said to him again and kissed him.
“You’ve said that at least 50 times today.” He laughed.
“Well, at least you aren’t 50, look at it that way.” I skipped off towards the gym, feeling happy. It was Josh’s 17th birthday today. I had gotten him a Queen record and I swear, he reminded me of a 2 year old on Christmas morning with all the enthusiasm. That was dying off now as I said happy birthday to him ever five minuets.
I changed quickly and walked into the gym to see soccer ball out. Yup, I was gonna die.
JOSH’S POV (and also when the story gets to its point XD)
The sound of a phone ringing played over the sax solo in the middle of band class. The teacher gave the signal for them to stop and looked towards the ceiling.
“Hello?” He asked.
“Is Joshua Ramsay there?” The ominous voice of the secretary came though the speakers. I sighed and got up before he could reply, trying to think of what I had done recently to be called to the office.
As I neared the doors to the office, I noticed someone familiar standing near the doors. “Adam?” Phoenix’s dad stood waiting buy the doors.
“Josh, do you know what class Phoenix is in right now?” He asked me.
“I do, but why didn’t you just call her here if you need her?”
“Something’s happened, Josh…I just though it might be better if you went to get her.”
“What happened? Is everything alright?” I asked, now worried.
“No. Its not. Lisa’s been in an accident. She was hit on her way to work. She’s in the hospital.”
“Oh god…” I said, thinking of the day Phoenix had told me how her mother and brother had died. “is she okay? Will she…” I couldn’t say it.
“Yes, they think she’ll pull through. But she wants to see Phoenix.” He said as I nodded.
“I’ll go get her.” I ran off towards the gym. People looked up from a game of soccer as I pushed open the double doors. I quickly swept my eyes over the room, looking for Phoenix. She sat on the bleachers; even with an ice pack pressed to her nose she still looked beautiful.
BACK TO PHOENIX’S POV (Normal)
I looked over as the loud bang of the doors opening echoed through the gymnasium. Josh was walking towards me. I smiled at him.
“Hello there birthday boy, like my bruise?” I lifted the ice pack from my face, knowing my face was covered in blood from my nose.
“Are you trying to kill yourself?” Josh joked and smiled, but it didn’t touch his eyes, and the joke seemed flat. I knew him well enough to know something was up.
“What’s wrong?” I asked, concerned.
“Phoenix…come with me.” He helped me down from the bleachers and took my hand, pulling me back out the door.
I stared at Adam in horror as he told me what had happened. I felt tears sliding down my face as my life seemed to crack. So much for perfect.
“I’ve already signed you out at the office.” Adam told me as he started walking towards the car.
“C-can Josh come to?” I asked, tears still sliding down my face.
“I’ll come weather I can or not.” Josh whispered in my ear and squeezed my hand. A tiny hint of a smile formed on my lips.
“C’mon then.” I pulled Josh with me out the door.