I CANT FIGURE OUT A NAME.

Chapter Four - The Apartment

The door to Tom’s block of flats was tall and imposing. Normally it was locked, but when John went to rap his knuckles against it opened slowly. “Strange” John thought as he stepped into the threshold, taking in his surroundings. “It’s usually locked, didn’t have to use the key” He slowly walked up the four flights of stairs to Tom’s studio apartment right at the top of the building.

He knocked on the door of apartment 204. A badly beaten Tom answered the door, his face a mosaic of bruises and lumps, cuts and scars.

“Holy Shit!, What happened to you?” John exclaimed as he embraced Tom in the manliest hug he could without damaging him more.
“Got mugged on the way home last night, Only just got back from the ER.” Tom replied, his face grimacing in pain with each word he spoke. “They came from nowhere, Five of them. I didn’t stand a chance. But, before they left me broken and bleeding on the side of the road, I heard them say, Quick, lets go. Chameleon will get angry if were caught.” John froze. His face turning pale, Then his face became a mask of different emotions, fear, confusion, anger and pain. “What the fuck is up with your face?” Tom asked, Clearly confused even though he was in massive amounts of pain. “I got lots to tell you Tom, lets sit down, put a brew on, and I’ll fill you in.”

Sitting in Tom’s apartment was weird, I hadn’t sat in here for years. My mind flashed back to the last time I was here. It was with Lois. The memory brought tears flooding to my tired and sore eyes. I leaned my head into my hands and began to weep, Letting out the pain of the last day. It didn’t feel real. I couldn’t contain the flood of emotion that had raised its head inside my body. I missed my world, I felt alone without her, I felt numb. I couldn’t even feel or hear the reassuring words or pats on my back that tom was providing, but I knew I had to power through all the painful emotion to make sure she was found safely. I calmed myself and filled Tom in on the events of the last day. He couldn’t believe it. He held me in a close embrace and asked to see the riddle, he knew as soon as we figured it out I’d be gone, possibly forever. I took the note with the riddle on out of my pocket. I handed it to tom asking him if he could solve it. He sat silent, deep in thought for a few minutes and then said out loud, “Cold storage” I bade him thanks and left the apartment rushing down the many steps and running to my car down the street a million thoughts running through my mind, wondering what horror I would have to come to terms with next.