‹ Prequel: Admiring From Afar
Status: Active!

You Still Have All My Heart

She Thought I Was Your Girlfriend?

A week had passed and Jason still wasn't awake. Cass was allowed out of her hospital bed a couple days ago and she visited him every day since then. Cassandra couldn't help but feel guilty that she was the cause of this. What if she had seen the deer? What if she researched how to get to and back from the grocery store? What if she hit the bakes sooner? What if she went slower? All of these thoughts were swimming around her head when she saw Jason’s bruised and battered body. It was all her fault. That’s what Cass told herself every day since she woke up and found out that Jason was still in a coma.

Some of her friends were still visiting her and Jason. John and the guys visited occasionally but they had to start recording again so they were quite busy. Jenn visited often and usually brought cookies and other sweets with her and Austin and Alan had to go back to California a couple days before. Jordan, on the other hand, had been practically living in the hospital since the accident. She was really torn up on the fact that she missed Cass’s birthday and that she might’ve been able to revert the whole accident from happening. What if she didn't leave and stayed by Cass’s side then what would have happened? Would she be where Jason was or could this all have been avoided? Cass constantly told her over and over again that there was no need for her to feel bad.

Cass’s stay at the hospital wasn't terrible but it wasn’t enjoyable either. It was nice of her friends to visit and everything, but she hadn’t heard anything from the one person she really wanted to hear from. Yup, that’s right; Cass hasn’t received anything from Zack. She had received countless gifts and cards from Alex, Jack, Rian, and Ana. She had asked them if they knew what Zack was up to either. They saw him when the band was involved but other than that it was like he disappeared. This made Cass feel confused and a little depressed. Wasn’t he the one who wanted to talk to her about getting back together possibly? If so, why hadn’t he contacted her? Cass thought about that the first few nights she was awake. Lately, however, her thoughts had turned a little more depressing. Why hadn’t he called yet? Maybe he didn’t like her anymore. Maybe he was tired of her and realized that he never wanted to see her again. What if he found someone else who was smarter, prettier, nicer, and more understanding than her? What if he never intended to get back together with her and just wanted to play with her? The last thought wasn’t very likely but Cass still freaked out silently in her head about what might be going on with Zack.

Right now Cass was in Jason’s room watching him breathe. Slightly creepy, yes, but the steady beeping of the machine and the rise of his chest seemed to calm Cass down a bit. So whenever Cass felt like her thoughts were getting to irrational or out of control she would make her way to Jason’s room and sit down in the chair next to his bed. Cass really hoped that Jason would wake up soon. She didn’t want to leave Arizona without seeing him awake first. Every day she hoped he would wake up and every day she was met with the same result. He hadn’t moved in eight days. The nurses and doctors said he was improving but Cass felt like they were just saying that to help her make her feel better. She could see the pity in their eyes every time she came to visit Jason. Cass was just about to leave Jason’s room when she heard something.

“Cass,” she heard someone mumble weakly from behind her. She quickly turned around to make sure she wasn’t hearing things. She saw Jason slowly open his eyes and blink a couple times slowly. Cass rushed over to him and held his hand.

“Jase, are you awake?” she asked to make sure he was actually and truly waking up from his coma.
Jason just groaned in response.

Cass figured that the pain meds were wearing off and she pressed the nurse button by his bed. Cass just held onto his hand until the nurse arrived. She squeezed it from time to time to reassure him that she was still there and that the nurse would be there soon. After what seemed like more than ten minutes, the nurse finally arrived. She saw that Jason was awake and told Jase and Cass that she’d be right back with more pain medication and the doctor.

“The nurse will be back soon with some pain medication and the doctor,” Cass told Jason when the nurse left.

Jason again in response and quietness settles over them.

A minute or two passed before Jason’s scratchy voice interrupted the silence.

“So what happened to you?” he asked nodding his head over to Cass’s body.

“I have a concussion, some bruised ribs, and I broke my right arm,” Cass told him. “And you?”

“Well, I think I heard them say a concussion, three broken ribs, a fractured wrist, a broken arm, and badly bruised legs,” he told her.

“Damn. That’s quite a bit and even through all of that you helped me out of the car. You must have been crazy,” Cass commented.

“Yeah, crazy for you,” Jason answered with a cheesy grin. Cass started laughing which caused Jason to chuckle a bit which caused him to have a coughing fit.

“Oh my God, Jason. Are you okay?” Cass asked, patting his back in hopes that he would stop coughing. Jason was still coughing when the nurse came into the room with the doctor. The nurse rushed over to Jason and told Cass to get some something to drink from the cafeteria downstairs.

Cass left the room quickly and ran down to the hospital’s cafeteria. She quickly scanned the drinks and chose the one that she felt Jason would like the best. She got into a line and waited for it to be her turn to pay. She wished the line would move faster. She had to get back to Jason as soon as possible. She needed to do everything she could for him since it was her fault he was hurt so badly in the first place.

While in the line Cass thought about what just happened in the hospital room. Jason had said he was a crazy about her. Cass knew he said in a joking and cheesy way but she also knew that there was some truth behind it. Right before she blacked out Cass remembered him telling her ‘I love you’. She didn’t know if he meant it in a friendly manner or a more than friendly manner. Cass and Jason had always flirted back and forth but Cass didn’t really mean anything by it; it was just shameless flirting. However, they had hooked up one more than one occasion which made Cass feel like there was something more happening between the two. Cass knew there had always been a little chemistry between Jason and her but it was never kindled because she had Zack. Even though Zack didn’t seem to be talking to her she still loved him and nothing could change that except for time. Even if she was given all of the time in the world Cass wasn’t sure she’d get over Zack completely. The two of them had been through so much together and they were so committed to each other that they had decided to get engaged, but commitment only went so far. With one wrong decision all of it went down the drain. Cass had been so ready to get back together with Zack. She had anticipated her arrival back to Baltimore and her reunion with Zack. She pictured them planning the wedding, tasting cakes, and picking out the venue together. She had everything all planned out and she was happy with that. The accident had messed up all of her plans and she was left confused and hurt. She didn’t know what to do. She wanted to call Zack so badly but part of her mind told her not to. Zack had told her that they would talk about their relationship when she got back from her trip and to not think about it during the trip. She was still technically on her trip so was she not supposed to call him yet? But if everything went according to plan she’d already be back in Maryland by now, so was it okay to call him? The more Cass thought about it the more she confused herself. Her confusion was momentarily halted when she heard someone clear their voice.

“Excuse me Miss, can you please place your items on the counter?” the lady asked Cass.

Cass placed the drink on the counter in a daze. She was still thinking about her whole situation with Zack. She absentmindedly handed the money to the cashier and walked away with the drink without getting her change. She slowly wandered back to Jason’s room. She wasn’t in a rush this time because she wanted to think for a bit. Soon she got so fed up with her thoughts about whether or not she should call Zack or not, she took her phone out of her pocket and dialed his number. She couldn’t deal with the mental confusion going on in her mind. The phone rang three times before he picked up.

“Hey Cass,” he breathed into the phone. He sounded like he was out of breath.

“Hey Zack. Um, I was just wondering how’re you’re doing and everything,” Cass told him softly into the phone. As she was talking she heard a voice in the background.

“Zacky, come back to bed! I’m so sore and it’s all your fault!” she heard someone say.

“Danielle! Shhhh! I’m on the phone, I’ll be back in a minute,” Cass heard Zack reply. It was a little muffled so she figured he moved his phone away from his mouth. He was talking to a person named Danielle. Danielle, where had she heard that name before? Cass wasn’t given too much time to think because Zack talked into the phone again.

“Hey, Cass? Can I call you back later? I’m a little busy right now,” Zack said.

“Oh, yeah, sure, sorry to bother you,” Cass told him, surprised that he told her that. Soon Cassandra heard the dial tone. She ended the call and put her phone back in her pocket.

That was weird, she thought. Zack didn’t seem like himself. He sounded so rude and like he didn’t want to talk to her. Cass didn’t think that he would blow her off like that. It wasn’t like him. After Cass spent another minute trying to think of reasons why Zack’s attitude was different she shifted her thoughts to the Danielle girl he was talking to. She said that she that she was sore and it was all his fault? That could mean a variety of things. What stood out the most to her was that she had asked him to come back to bed. What was that about? Why the fuck was in bed with her in the first place? Cass didn’t want to think that Zack has been sleeping with this mystery girl Danielle but it was kind of obvious. How else could he make her sore? Cass suddenly felt like she couldn’t breathe. Zack was sleeping with someone else. He had found himself another girl. She wasn’t needed anymore. That’s why he was too busy to contact her. All of his attention has been towards his new play toy. Cass couldn’t believe it. So all the talk about getting back together was a lie? Cass thought to herself. He never really intended on becoming her boyfriend again? Really? Cass stopped in the middle of the hallway and wiped at the tears dripping down her face.

Get your act back together, she thought to herself. She was almost at Jason’s room and she couldn’t look like she was just crying. She wiped her eyes dry and put on the biggest smile she could muster when she walked into the room. She saw the nurse talking to Jason and Jason blushing. The nurse turned around and smiled at Cass.

“I’ll leave you two alone,” she said with a wink to Jason. When she passed Cass on her way out the door she whispered, “he’s a keeper.” Cassandra shook her head in confusion and walked towards Jason’s desk.

“Here’s your juice,” Cass said handing him the bottle. He muttered a reply and sipped from bottle, his cheeks still bright red. “So, what’s with that nurse? Was she flirting with you? That’s kinda gross since she looks about twice your age,” Cass said.

“Nothing,” Jason said quietly, blushing even harder.

“C’mon, now you have to tell me!” Cass teased him.

“Uhhh, well, you really want to know?” Jason asked her.

“Uhh, duh! She told me something like ‘he’s a keeper’ but I had no clue what she was talking about,” Cass said.

“Well, while you were gone she told me that you were here every day, holding my hand and stuff,” Jason started.

“Yeah, what she said was true,” Cass said. “Go on.”

“Then she said that I was, uhh, lucky to have such a doting and caring girlfriend like you,” Jason whispered the last part. He looked down in embarrassment.

“Wait, what? She thought I was your girlfriend?” Cass asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, and when I told her that we were just friends she just looked at me suspiciously and said, ‘that’s what they all say’. She seems to believe that were together,” he said.

“Haha, well she couldn’t have been more wrong,” Cass joked.

“Yup, she couldn’t have been more wrong,” Jason agreed with a little laugh.

An uncomfortable silence fell over them.

The silence was broken a minute later by Jason.

“Well, it’s not like I wouldn’t want to be in a relationship with you. I mean you’re kind and understanding, not to mention beautiful so it’s not like I’m not attracted to you,” he said quickly, another blush coating his cheeks. He didn’t want to think that Cass might’ve take his comment the wrong way.

“Yeah, I understand. I mean, you’re handsome and funny and great to be around. Plus, your body’s amazing,” Cass said quickly with a blush, hoping that Jason didn’t take the joking the wrong way.

“Yeah, it’s obvious that we think the other is attractive because we’ve hooked up quite a few times and you wouldn’t do that with someone who you didn’t think was hot,” Jason said.

“Yeah,” Cass agreed.

Another awkward silence fell over the two. Cass started to play with the end of her shirt, trying to avert her attention to something else. She couldn’t look into Jason’s eyes at the moment. Her cheeks were still flushed and she still felt a little embarrassed about what happened seconds before.

“Y’know. I actually wouldn’t mind you being my girlfriend,” Jason told her quietly.

“You don’t want me as your girlfriend,” Cass told him. “I mean, I cheated on my fiancé and now he’s off with some other girl. I’m obviously not that good that this relationship stuff.”

“That’s not true,” Jason told her. He lifter Cass’s chin so that she looked him the eyes. “You’re an amazing girl and it takes two to have sex. It’s not all your fault. I knew that you were with Zack and I knew that you were drunk but I still went along with you. I guess my thinking was that I would take all of the Cassandra I could get. I’m sure you’ve noticed but I’ve always kinda had a thing for you,” Jason said shyly.

“Yeah,” Cass said quietly.

“And I would never leave you to be with some other girl. Why would you look for another girl when you have the most perfect one right in front of you?” Jason asked.

“You don’t mean that,” Cass said averting her gaze.

“Yes I do,” Jason said to her, lifting her chin up again. He looked into her eyes and before Cass knew it they were kissing.
♠ ♠ ♠
__

Finally an update! I’m so sorry that I haven’t updated in about a month. First, my computer died and then Hurricane Sandy came so I didn’t have power for a week and it took a while for my mom to get me another computer but now everything is all settled out! :D

Through all of that I’m proud to say that I didn’t lose as many subscribers that I thought I would lose. I only lost one or two which is AMAZING. I seriously love all you guys.

I’m going to try and update every other week? Is that good for all of you?

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please comment and subscribe!

I love you all<3