The Plan

Make Mike Hranica Your Best Friend

“There’s Mike,” my short best friend stated. I turned and glanced over my shoulder, rolling my eyes. I adjusted my leather jacket, smudged on some lipstick, and turned around with what I hoped was a winning smile.

“Finally, now it’s show time.”

“Break a leg,” she whispered, squeezing my hand and pushing me forward lightly. I took a deep breath, twirling a piece of purple hair through my fingers and approaching the vocalist. He knew I was going to be here, we’d been in touch mostly through Twitter and his blog.

He’d approved my follow request in September after we had the most enlightening conversation after a show. It was mostly on his beliefs, religious and not. We were both looking to talk and so we did. Our conversations now were sporadic, sometimes long and interesting, sometimes not.

He was a fascinating person, really. I enjoyed talking to him whenever I got the chance to. He loved to suggest books and music to me and I always read or listened so I could give him feedback. It was a weird friendship and all I could offer him was advice or just someone who would listen to his frustrations. It had been eight months and I was sure he trusted me.

“Kelly?” I heard, my blood wanted to freeze because I knew that voice. I looked up from my phone and smiled widely at him. It was exciting to see him in front of me. I hadn’t physically seen him since I’d first met him in September of last year.

“Mike! It’s so good to see you!” I exclaimed. He opened his arms and I hugged him enthusiastically. I’d been nervous it would be awkward but it was just like seeing a friend who just got home from college. “I was gonna bring Yoohoo but I figured you might punch me.”

He chuckled and grinned as he released me. He liked to complain often about the amount of chocolate milk they received on tour. I shifted my bag on my shoulder as he reached out to ruffle my hair. “You look so different.”

“It’s been a while,” I said, fingers ghosting over the new nose ring I’d gained. Instead of short, almost black hair, I sported a longer, purple mop now. If he looked under my jacket, he’d see a few new tattoos as well. A lot of things had changed for me. “You look good though! A little tired.”

“Is that your way of telling me I look like shit?” he asked. I grinned and shook my head.

“Of course not my dear, you look wonderful,” I said. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, shaking his head and leading me towards a bus. “You smell stunning as well,” I joked. He rolled his eyes as we glided up the stairs.

It was late, I’d stuck around after the show for a long time, lurking. I had a plan to put into effect and I couldn’t have a bunch of people around to upstage my hilarity. The guys were littered around the bus, I recognized them all immediately though I’d only ever met Daniel and Mike.

There were other people hanging around; a manager, a lighting director, a rogue fan. I was introduced to everyone and I tried to be as nice and friendly as possible. Mike however, knew that my personality was just as cynical as ever. It was possible that, out of all of the friends I’d known for so long, Mike was the one who just understood me.

We sat down where the driver’s seat was. Mike perched himself on the small dashboard, feet resting on the arm of the chair I was curled up in. I was extraordinarily lucky to even be looking at this man right now.

“I hope you liked the show,” he prompted.

“I could see you guys play every night and love it every single time, please.”

“Well thanks. What have you been up to? What shows have you seen lately?” he asked, truly interested. I shrugged and played with my ripped up tights.

“I haven’t been up to much. I had to move back in with my parents, lost my job because of the hair color, and I dropped out of college. Basically I’m every person’s nightmare. Shows have been good though. There are some great underground bands you should check out,” I said.

“You never, ever cease to amaze me. Maybe if we get enough time off at the end of this tour I’ll come stay in New York for a while, see those shows. How about your music? How’s that going?” he asked, his phone lighting up. He ignored it though; a true gentleman.

“Bass is bass. I’m getting better though, I can tell. I want to find a band but, I don’t know…I’m not really looking to stay in New York permanently.”

It was nice to have a real back and forth conversation with him. He was so much more than some guy in a hardcore band. I made him laugh telling the stories of the crazy shenanigans that went on in my life. He told stories about the crazy shenanigans that went on in his.

I was having a great time but I did have a plan to stick to.

At the press of a button I was getting a call from my best friend. She was idling in the car around the corner by now, all according to plan. I apologized as I took the call. He took the chance to check through his phone then.

“Hey, what’s up Britt?”

“How’s the plan goin’ sugar tits?”

“Do we have to?” I asked, suppressing a grin.

“Oh shush, you know you want it babe,” she drawled lazily. I heard a laugh from her boyfriend in the background. She was too much.

“Alright, I’ll be there in 5,” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Make it two,” she said before I heard a click. I looked at my phone for a second and raised an eyebrow. As much as I loved her, she was quickly becoming a reason New York was temporary.

“You have to go?” he asked, cocking his head to the left. I nodded and frowned, standing up.

“My ride has work in the morning,” I said. My ride actually had school in the morning, high school to be exact, and she wasn’t my ride, I was her ride. He frowned and stood up also, letting me pass him.

“That sucks, I feel like I’ve barely seen you,” he said. Attachment was a plus. I’d been enjoying his company too. I wasn’t trying to get him to fall in love with me though, always the plan in mind.

“I’ve been here for more than an hour,” I said playfully. When I noticed everyone watching, I waved and said a cheerful goodbye. I didn’t know if Mike Hranica usually brought girls onto the bus but if he did, I could guarantee none of them were even a little bit as weird as I am.

He stepped off the bus with me into the city air. We were quiet for a moment, listening to the city life. I lived upstate further but the city welcomed me almost every weekend. I smiled up at Mike and he hugged me.

“Listen, give me your number and I’ll text you okay? I actually want to come back and see some shows, maybe in May sometime,” he said. I typed my number into his phone, trying to hide my grin.

“You should! There are some really good bands down here,” I said. He gave me another hug and we said goodbye. I was sad to watch him get back on the bus. He was one of the best people I knew, despite barely even knowing him at all. I gave him one last wave before turning away. As I walked to the parking lot where my friends sat impatiently, I flipped my hair and smirked.

My name is Kelly Veneziano and Mike Hranica is my new BFF.