The Plan

Fourteenth Day of Tour

Lunch was rowdy, filled with playful bickering and a sullen Mike glancing between Max and I.

Mike and I had been best friends long enough for me to know what he was thinking based on his various facial expressions. It amazed me that despite all the bullshit we’d been through that he still was beyond against Andy and I. He was obviously calculating and analyzing every move between Max and I.

“Mike, staring is rude,” I said quietly, smirking. I’d been out of the conversation loop for a while, spending my time fending off Mike’s questioning glances and looking through my phone. He scoffed and rolled his eyes.

“What’s up with you and midget man?” he asked just as quietly, nodding to Max. I shook my head and laughed, kicking his shin lightly under the table.

“Uncalled for and absolutely nothing so don’t try and make that ship sail,” I warned. He held up his hands in innocence. I shook my head and took a sip of water. Mike looked like he’d gotten some sleep recently, which made him look healthier than he had for the past week.

“Can’t a friend ask?”

“Well I’m a friend and I’m about to ask you why you haven’t tried to make up with Simone,” I said, spinning my straw in my water. He sighed deeply and rubbed his face roughly. I could tell this was actually stressing him out.

“She holds a grudge like nobody’s business Kelly. I fucked up so bad,” his voice broke near the end and I feared that tears would ensue. I reached across the table and touched his hand lightly. He pulled it away and placed it in his lap.

Mike was really good at shutting himself away in his mind.

“Listen, I think she loves you and I think that even she will forgive you if you do it the right way,” I said. He looked up at me and I was almost shocked at the amount of sadness in his eyes. I hated seeing him like this and it pained me to know that both of my best friends felt the exact same way and that that was not a good way.

“And what exactly is this ‘right way’?” he questioned. I leaned back in my chair and shook my head, smirking.

“Oh darling, I have a plan for you.”

“I’m frightened,” he said and I could tell he was being truthful. Everything I did was overdramatic and drawn out. I wore my heart on my sleeve and nothing was private about my life. Mike was the exact opposite.

“You should be,” I told him honestly. I wouldn’t tell him about the entire plan; that was a secret. Step One was going to be broadcasted to him though. He was on a need to know basis about the apology he was going to give.

“What exactly does this plan entail?” he asked, looking around nervously. The newly signed band that made up the rest of our table wasn’t paying us any attention. I elaborated.

“It starts with two dozen flowers, one tulips and the other roses, and ends with an onstage apology, which you have to give tonight considering it’s one of the largest crowds we have. There are other things in between too.”

“What other things?” he asked, looking not thrilled at all.

“Well I figure you should also give her some chocolates and also probably find a vinyl that she doesn’t have and give it to her, just to butter her up. Oh, and I was figuring we could put the backdrop that she destroyed up right before your set that way the apology really sinks in.”

“You think a lot of things, don’t you?”

“I guess you could say that.”

“Mhm,” he appeared deep in thought, alternating between staring at me and out the window. I gave him time to mull things over. “I don’t wanna do the apology in front of everyone. That’s private.”

“Okay, well I already thought of that. Simone’s been telling fans that you two got in a small argument and that’s how rumors circulated that you two broke up. I mean, you did break up but she’s been telling the fans that you’re still together or whatever.”

“Well how am I supposed to apologize in front of the fans then?” he asked. I rolled my eyes and flipped my hair.

“Can you let me finish? Christ Mike, no need to be so on edge. As I was saying, if you just make a small apology but you also happen to make it adorable then there’s no need to divulge anything and directly after the show you can make your private apology.”

“I hate you and your really good ideas.”

“We need to find a florist Mike.”

“I guess you’re right.”

“Of course I’m right.”

We stared at each other. I could tell he was apprehensive. As an insanely private person I could see him balking at the idea of willingly releasing his business to a huge room packed full of teenagers. I was excited though, fueled by the romanticism of the idea.

I pulled out my smart phone, ignoring the text from Andy and pulling up the internet. The closest florist was 1.7 miles West of where we were currently. I smiled up at Mike and showed him my phone. He narrowed his eyes at the device.

“Martha’s Flowers, here we come.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm like a little chihuahua about to piss herself in excitement for the next chapter.