The Plan

Make Mike Apologize (Big Time)

“Shit, how did we not bring in the mediums?” Simone cursed. I smirked to myself, hiding my face by bending over into a box of sweatshirts. I’d let her carry the box in and then distracted her long enough for Andy to carry it back out.

“I dunno but you’re getting the box, not me.”

“Fine,” she sighed, dragging out the word. I smirked into the box again. When she was out of sight, I ran up the stairs after her. When I saw her disappear out the front door, I found Mike around the corner.

“She’s gone.”

“I see that Kelly, thanks for the update,” he said sarcastically. I stuck my tongue out at him and snatched the bouquet of a dozen roses out of his hands. He disappeared immediately after that and with a glance back at the door, I ran down the stairs. I dropped the bouquet on the table and quickly fell to my knees in a box.

Mike had spent a little over 100 dollars at Martha’s Flowers. The older woman had given him the flowers and arranged them nicely. In a beautiful calligraphy she had written Simone’s name on a card and attached them to the roses.

“Okay, I got the—Kelly, what are these?”

I heard a box fall to the floor with a loud thud. I whipped around and stood, staring at the flowers accusingly. Simone’s eyes were wide, looking between me and the flowers, touching the card and covering her mouth. I hid my smile and widened my eyes.

“I didn’t even notice anyone came over here!” I exclaimed loudly. My eyes flashed over to the other merch tables but luckily, only Max and his friend Luke were at theirs. They both shrugged at us unknowingly. “I can’t imagine who could have done this.”

She looked at me flatly and picked them up. She stared at them tenderly though, smelling them and touching the petals gently. I smiled to myself, pleased with her reaction. I knew a dozen flowers weren’t going to solve the problem but they were certainly going to butter her up; that much was obvious.

“These are beautiful,” she said, half to me and half to herself. “I’m gonna bring them to the bus and put them in water. Is that okay?”

I nodded and continued pinning up shirts when she disappeared. I struggled to put one up and I felt someone come up from behind me, taking the shirts and pins from my hand and finishing the job I couldn’t. I turned, smiling up at Andy.

“How ya doin’ Cupid?” he asked, grinning stupidly. I hugged him and chuckled. “Did she like the flowers?”

“Loved ‘em actually. You should maybe take a leaf out of my book babe,” I said smirking. He raised an eyebrow at me and then I turned away to set up the table. He stayed though, leaning against the wall and texting. Simone returned.

“They’re about to let the kids in,” she said. The table was already done and nerves shot through me. Andy kissed my cheek, smiled at Simone, and disappeared. Adrenaline pumped through my veins and my blood ran cold.

Step One wasn’t over yet and even if Simone liked the first bit, she might not necessarily like the rest of them. She had bright red lipstick smeared on her lips tonight and was wearing a cute white blouse and high-waisted jeans. I, on the other hand, was a bum in a cut up t-shirt and ripped up skinny jeans.

As the first round of teenagers came through, Simone remained happy. She floated around behind the table, taking money and handing out t-shirts. I smiled and joked with her easily like when she was still dating Mike.

I sold a CD and then, right on time I assumed, Mike stepped up to the table. He was silent and brooding, as usual, holding a bouquet of a dozen tulips. I saw the card dangling from the package. This time in Mike’s own script it read “The night is young.”

Simone looked up, laughing at a joke that someone made as she retrieved their shirt. Her eyes widened slightly when she saw Mike and then the flowers. None of us said anything and miraculously the massive amount of fans that surrounded him said anything either. He just handed her the flowers, smiled, and walked away.

“God, you’re so lucky,” a girl gushed. Simone stared at the flowers, reading the card over and over again. She looked at me and then at the girl.

“Yeah, I guess I am.”

*

“Kelly, what’s going on?”

Max and Justin from A City In The Sky had taken over our table with grins and promises to behave. I led Simone up the stairs, through the crowd, and through the double doors next to the stage. We were standing on Andy’s side.

It had been a long time since I stood side stage. I kind of missed it. You could see the crowd and see how excited the boys were. I was nostalgic right now.

“Will you just be patient?”

She had been pestering me ever since she’d seen the back drop and we’d only stood through two songs. I could see Mike nervously glancing at her. The stage was where Mike felt most comfortable or at least as comfortable as he would be in front of large masses of people. The song ended and the crowd cheered.

The boy’s chests heaved and smiles lit up their faces. Mike stalked the stage, breathing heavily until it was quiet. Chris played a few chords on his guitar and Mike lifted the microphone to his lips. My heart leapt. I didn’t know what he was going to say, just that he was going to say it.

“Have you ever done something really shitty?” he asked the crowd. They all cheered in response. “Nah, you’ve never done something as shitty as the something I did.”

There were protests from the crowd. Simone’s face was stony but her eyes couldn’t fool me because they betrayed a sadness as deep as the ocean. Mike glanced at her and then back out at the crowd, who were still yelling that he was perfect.

“There’s nothing worse than betraying the person you love. That is the one thing that keeps you up at night,” he said quietly, staring at Simone. It was silent in the huge room until he addressed the crowd in a bubbly voice, “Virginia Beach, we are The Devil Wears Prada and we are especially pleased to be here! Do you know why?”

I heard him yell something about the show being sold out as I followed Simone. She walked mindlessly out toward the floor and out of the doors leading outside. She paced the sidewalk and pulled at her hair.

“What does ‘the night is young’ mean Kelly?” she asked me, pulling the card from the tulips out of her pocket. I shrugged, lighting up a cigarette. I didn’t really know, though I assumed it was because he had more in store for her. “Why is he doing this?”

“Because he loves you dumbass,” I said past the cigarette. My words came out muffled and she turned on me, conflict raging in her eyes.

“If he loved me then he wouldn’t have kissed you!”

I laughed at the sky, pulling the cigarette from my mouth. I knew that she didn’t necessarily mean what she said. I realized that Mike still had an apology to deliver. What she was saying was absolutely ludicrous.

“If you think for a single god damn second that Mike doesn’t love you then you need to get some serious help from a professional Simone. That’s for sure.”

We were both silent for a while. My cigarette was done and we had walked back through the venue doors down to relieve Max and Justin of their merch-selling duties before we spoke again. Simone was now lost in her thoughts, though a small smile still remained on her face.

When we heard the last note of the set we prepared for the rush. Hundreds of kids streamed down the stairs, eager to buy the headliner’s merchandise. We sold the most at the beginning and the end of shows. Lots of girls asked Simone questions but apparently, mum was the word on the subject of Mike Hranica.

Finally, the security guards ferreted them all out. A few older girls stuck around, looking for parties and good times. I packed up quickly, hoping to catch an ear full of what Mike would say. Andy arrived to help with the boxes along with Jeremy.

“Oh, Simone, uh Mike is looking for you,” Jeremy said as we mounted the stairs. I exchanged a glance with her and she visibly paled. As we neared the van and trailer, I noticed Mike lurking. I knew he was hiding from fans. “Oh, there he is.”

We all hurried to put the boxes in the van as Mike popped out of virtually nowhere. He looked expectantly at Simone and then gestured toward the bus. I bit my lip, wondering how I’d get to hear. Luckily, when they boarded, Simone left the door open and glanced back at me.

I laughed, slapping Andy’s chest and creeping up onto the bus, practically lying on the stairs to overhear the conversation. At first I thought I wasn’t hearing anything but then I realized that nothing was being said.

“Simone, listen, I messed up so badly and it was wrong of me to push off acknowledging that for so long. I never meant anything with that kiss. I was confused and hurt for reasons that I still can’t necessarily explain.”

“It physically hurts me Mike. Every time I see you or her I just think about standing outside of that bathroom and seeing her open the door. Kelly is my best friend. You almost ruined that for me,” she said after a long silence.

“I know, and I’m truly sorry. I love Kelly like a sister, honestly. She is family to me and I think that’s why I was being so protective over her. I just confused my feelings about it I suppose and handled it very wrong. I’m so sorry about everything I’ve caused.”

Sincerity colored his tone and goose bumps rose on my arms. I knew he had a way with words, Mike was well read and insanely literate, but this was different. I had no doubt he was being genuine and though I knew he wouldn’t necessarily be forgiven by Simone, I knew she would respect this.

“You should have talked to me about it.”

“I know. I know I should have,” he practically whispered. I strained my ears though the background noise was being very loud. I heard Simone sigh and then click her tongue against her mouth. “There’s nothing for me to say about my behavior except that I regret it and that I’m sorry about it.”

“Being sorry doesn’t change what you did.”

“Please Simone,” a tone of urgency and desperation emerged, “I know it does nothing. I love you! I’m in love with you Simone. It makes me sick sometimes that I’m away from you. I sit in a van and feel an ache in my chest because I’m not with you.”

If tears weren’t in Simone’s eyes then I would be shocked. Lying on the steps of the bus, I was a crying mess. Mike was speaking from the heart and it was painfully obvious that his heart hurt very badly. I willed Simone to speak but she didn’t for at least a five minute period.

“I feel the same way Mike, I really do. But right now, as much as I appreciate the flowers and the apology and everything onstage, I just can’t forgive you, not yet. I need some time.”

“I understand,” he said briefly. “I hope you liked the flowers.”

“I loved them,” she said shortly. I could imagine her smiling tightly and then I heard her stand up. I hoisted myself off of the stairs and scrambled onto the street, appearing at Andy’s side as he spoke to some fans. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and smiled warmly.

Simone came up to me and tugged on my shirt. I turned, seeing Mike walking away, hands in his pockets. His hair was wet, I could tell, and I knew that was how Simone liked it most. I would never understand how she sat through his apology and came out with a grudge.

I said nothing and she said nothing but judging by the look on her face, I knew that we would be driving the van to North Carolina tonight and I also knew that we would be having a very long, detailed talk.
♠ ♠ ♠
All I can say about this five paged monster is "damn."