The Plan

Fifteenth Day of Tour

When I woke up, I was pleasantly surprised to be wrapped up in Andy. As the fog of sleepiness passed, I remembered everything that had happened the night before, including getting into Andy’s bunk.

I was warm and drowsy so I stayed cuddled up to him for a while. His breathing was soft and he looked peaceful. I knew without a doubt that I was looking at the one man who could save me and I so desperately wanted him to. I had a lot to hold me back though.

My phone buzzed and I sighed, looking through the tweets I’d received through the night. I couldn’t believe the time, almost noon, and I propped myself up on my elbows. Andy stirred but didn’t wake and I smiled down at him.

With a hesitant hand, I traced his lips with my finger. I’d kissed those lips only hours ago and it had made me both happy and sad at the same time. I was in such an odd place when it came to Andy. I had other things to do though.

Leaving a light kiss on his lips, I rolled out of his bunk and landed next to my bag. I pulled out necessities and made my way to the tiny bathroom on the bus. I brushed my teeth and then, with a talent only the experienced could possess, washed my hair in the sink. I tied my hair up in a tight, wet bun and put on makeup.

Andy still wasn’t awake when I left the small bathroom so I got dressed and decided to get the ball rolling as far as my job. I brought my bag out to the van and checked over the boxes, making sure everything was there. Simone had already done the checklist though.

I found three band’s worth of members, some crew, and Simone sitting at picnic tables near the buses. I ventured over, avoiding Max who tried to kill me with his skateboard, and sat next to my best friend. I was pleasantly surprised to find her sitting across from Mike Hranica and looking mildly comfortable.

“Hey sleepy, we were about to wake you up,” Jeremy said from down the table. I shrugged.

“I was tired, it was a long drive.”

“And I’m sure you and Andy slept the entire time you were in his bunk,” he said, smirking and wiggling his eyebrows. I rolled my eyes and grabbed a bottle of orange juice from the middle of the table, drinking it straight from the carton.

“You’re just jealous ‘cause you’re not getting any man,” I jibed, winking at him and turning my attention to the other end of the table. I almost fell off the bench.

Mike and Simone were speaking.

As in, making conversation with eye contact included.

I fought my jaws instinct to drop. To make sure I wasn’t seeing things, I looked around to see if anyone else had a reaction. Luke, Max’s friend, noticed my surprise and smiled. He scooted down the bench and leaned into my ear.

“They’ve been pretty cordial all morning, making small talk I guess,” he whispered. I felt a body push its way forcefully between Luke and I. I found Andy sitting next to me. He glared darkly at Luke and then leaned down to kiss me.

“Are you serious though?” I asked, dodging the kiss. His brow furrowed and he shrugged.

“Yeah, I am.”

“You’re a fucking faggot,” I stated, getting up and leaving. Simone called after me but I continued walking, slowing my pace so she could catch up. She gripped my hand in hers and gave it a squeeze. “He’s so unbelievable.”

“Wait…why?” she asked. I stopped walking and looked at her flatly. “Um, was it something that happened last night?”

“No! Oh my God, he’s such a moron, like I’m good enough to kiss and stay in his bunk and all that shit and god fucking forbid another guy talks to me but what are we? He’s never asked me out! He never wants to talk about it, like what am I to you? I wish he’d fucking clue me in!”

“He’s a guy! Guys are such morons all the time Kell, you know that. He obviously likes you, he’s probably just got some issues,” she said. I tossed her the keys to the van. I was too pissed to drive and we needed to check in at the venue.

“What about my issues? I have issues and I still put my ass on the line! I’m so annoyed, oh my God,” I complained, buckling my seatbelt and slamming my head into the window. She snorted and then shook her head, starting the van.

“Everything will work out in the end. It just takes time.”

I raised my head from the window and looked at her. She looked at me and smiled a very small smile. Suddenly, my anger washed away and was replaced by a calm acceptance. She was reiterating my own words back at me.

“You and Mike are speaking?”

“A little bit, yes.”

“About?”

“I read a book I thought he’d enjoy so I let him borrow it this morning.”

I was slack-jawed, staring at her in awe. “I’m needing a background story.” She laughed and hit me gently, rolling her eyes as she pulled out of the truck stop.

“I was on the bus this morning and he came on to get changed and we said good morning and then I asked if he’d read any good books and he said no so I told him about this one I read and he borrowed it,” she explained. I nodded.

“I’m happy for you.”

“It’s getting better. Slowly getting better but getting better nonetheless.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The plot thickens.