The Plan

Sixteenth Day of Tour

Now that I hadn't spoken to Andy in an entire day, I wondered if I even had the drive to continue the plan for Simone and Mike's sake. After all, Nashville was exactly where Step Two was supposed to take place.

I'd driven the van from Raleigh to Nashville alone. Everyone wanted to stay on the bus and I wanted Simone and Mike to have as many opportunities to speak as possible. It was a long, lonely drive. Without anyone or anything to keep my mind off of Andy Trick, my mind stayed stuck on him.

We hadn't spoken to each other at all in Raleigh. I'd say we didn't even look at each other but that wasn't true; I snuck glances at him whenever he was in my line of vision. I heard through the grape vine of gossip that he was mad at me. That was fine, great even, maybe then he'd realize how big of a role I actually played in his life. Until then, I'd have to deal with my stupid feelings.

I arrived at the venue three hours before any of the bands. I slept in the back for an hour and a half before making my way out into the world of Nashville, Tennessee. I got breakfast in a tiny coffee shop around the corner from the venue. I watched the insane bustle of the morning crowd; the baristas ran around behind the counter, spilling coffee beans and screaming orders only to get a five minute break to clean up and laugh when the line disappeared.

My life could have been normal like that. I traipsed around the world with my best friends for ten months out of the year. These kids, the same age or older than me, made slightly more than me but their job was guaranteed not as awesome as mine. I ate my yogurt slowly and sipped my coffee, texting Simone that I'd made it safely.

"Excuse me?" I looked up to see a girl, younger than me, smiling timidly down at me. "You're Kelly right? The Devil Wears Prada's merch girl?"

"That's me," I said, beaming up at her. She looked back at the door and then at me again.

"Would I be able to get a picture? I'm sorry to bother you while you eat, it's just that, well last year when y'all came to Nashville, I was standing outside waiting for the band after the show and these guys wouldn't leave me alone..." she trailed off and my memory filled in.

"Oh yeah! I remember you now."

It was before Simone dropped school and I sold merch alone. The band was a bit smaller as well, which helped me out because they didn't quite headline yet. We were looking for a bar to go to after the show since we had a few days off and the boys had sent me and Andy off to look for one.

A girl, the same one in front of me now, had been standing down the block on the corner. I barely remember it now, seeing as I'd been to seven other countries in the same year. She'd been standing on the corner when three or four guys exited the pub behind her. I'd screamed in excitement when I saw the place, thinking we could drink there.

The guys had run straight into the girl and they'd apologized and continued walking, then one of them turned around. I remember falling silent and watching solemnly as they all then surrounded her, touching her hair and pushing her. My adrenaline pumped and, seeing her panicked face, I ran over there.

Andy got pretty pissed at me but the guys left me alone. Those were the days before we had developed any real feelings for each other and I acutely remembered afterward, his caring had given me the faint impression that maybe he liked me. The girl was okay. Apparently the same guys had said something to her before entering the bar across the street rather than behind her.

"How have you been? Safe I hope."

"Yeah, yeah I've been fine. I just, I don't remember if I said thank you or not but I am really thankful that you said something. You didn't have to and I really appreciate it," she said, her words rushing out all at once. I smiled and stood up, enveloping her in a hug.

She looked a lot older than I remembered, though I suppose I looked a lot different too. Her Hispanic skin was lighter, though I supposed it was spring now instead of winter, and her hair held vivacious curls instead of the pin straight way I remembered it.

"I'm really glad I could help! Are you going to the show tonight?" she nodded. "Swing by the merch table and I'll hand over some shirts or something."

We took a picture and then she left, her friends lingered outside the door and I waved before sitting. I'd forgotten about that altercation. I'd stopped plenty of fights, inside and outside of venues but that had been different. Three guys surrounding one girl was a lot different then two kids pushing each other around.

I left the coffee shop only ten minutes after she did. I wished that I could have been more energetic with her but I was bummed to be completely honest. I knew there was a record store somewhere around here but I also knew that the only other person in the band and crew that knew where it was was Andy.

Now that we weren't speaking, I realized exactly how close we were. Andy wasn't just someone I was interested in but he was one of my closest friends, maybe even closer than Mike. I wouldn't say I was empty without him, just alone. I sat in the van, waiting for everyone else to pull up.

It was only half an hour before I saw the bus in the rear view but I stayed put. It would be another hour before the manager checked in and we got an okay to start setting up. I had half-expected Simone to get off the bus with the few stragglers. I creeped around the window to see who got off. Mostly the crew did, setting off in the same direction I had. I noticed that Mike and Simone were not among the people who left the bus.

That gave me some hope as to how the rest of my plan would go.

When Simone tapped on the van window to wake me up two hours after I'd watched everyone get off the bus, I was startled. A City In The Sky was loading equipment into the venue through the back entrance and we were obviously running a little late.

"Hey," I said groggily through the glass. "It's unlocked." She pulled the heavy door open as I leaned forward, running my hands through my hair and squinting. The sun was high in the sky and I popped out of the van as quickly as I could.

"Have a good nap?"

"Sure, I need to sleep on the bus tonight though. My back and neck are killing me," I complained, stretching and opening the back of the van in one fluid motion. She started massaging my neck sarcastically but I fell limp anyway. "How'd Mike like the book? I know he finished it already."

"He didn't finish it yet actually," she said quietly, taking her hands off my shoulders and grabbing the table. "He's almost done though, and loves it so far though."

"He'd love it even if he hated, because you gave it to him."

She remained silent and we carried the table in together. Usually someone would help us but we could handle it fine on our own. Everyone spoiled us. From what I could tell though, everyone was running behind schedule. Across the room, A City In The Sky's friend Vinny was setting up their merch.

"I'll run and get the table shit, you set it up," Simone said quickly. I nodded, pulling the table's legs open. I wasn't sure why she was in such a rush. Setting up didn't take long; we usually finished within twenty minutes and then had time to help the guys.

"Yo, Dillon. How you been man? haven't seen you in years!" I heard Vinny say casually, his hand slapping someone else's.
From my place on the floor, crouched behind the table, I froze. Every hair on my body stood on end and my blood ran cold. I glanced up and then back down immediately. My stomach churned and I felt all the sleepiness leave my body.

He was here. Dillon was here.

I couldn't begin to fathom how to react. This was half of the reason I hadn't worked the New York show. Sure, I wanted to see my family but I also didn't want to see the "friends" that would come down to see Max's band. I tried not to move, calculating my options. I could greet him, of course, and act as though nothing happened; I could ignore him; or I could throw a fit and have Mike get him kicked out.

I wasn't sure how to proceed. Meanwhile, my insides felt like they were screaming to leave my body.

"Kell," I heard Andy's voice above me. I didn't respond. "You okay?" His hand touched my back and he was kneeling down next to me. I still didn't answer, instead I looked at him and then at my ex-boyfriend.

Attention was now on us from that side of the room. My blue eyes met his and I shook my head slowly. I looked at Andy again and then bit my lip, feeling my nerves shoot through the roof.

"Let's get lunch; Simone can set up alone. Someone will help her, c'mon," he said, gripping my hand as tightly as he could. We stood up at the same time and I shot a glance across the room, only to find that across the room was walking over.

"Kelly!" he said, "Wow it's been a really long time."

I stood still, flashing a smirk. "Dillon," I said flatly, "Not long enough."

He stopped in his tracks. A small smile graced his face and he shook his head. He looked the same as always. He was an inch or two shorter than me, still sporting the dermal under his right eye. His short sleeves showed off his tattoos, though he'd certainly added more to the collection, and he still had horrible stature. He was slightly thinner then I remembered though, probably a testament to the fact that he was living out in Tennessee rather than at home with his parents in New York.

"Come on, is that any way to greet an old friend?" he asked, spreading his arms wide. My blood ran hot then, almost boiling underneath the surface.

"Probably not but you're not an old friend," I retorted bitingly. I was looking at the boy who I'd fallen in love with and then kicked me when I was down. He'd reduced me to a shadow of myself and obviously, I wasn't completely forgiving. "If anything, you're an old enemy."

"Settle down woman," he chastised, an easy smile on his face, "I'm just saying hello."

"You should have known better."

With that, I turned around and pulled Andy along with me. I found myself face to face with Mike Hranica. Simone was lurking behind him with a worried look on her face. Mike looked grim, pissed even, and I used my free hand to touch his chest.

"That's him?" he questioned quietly. I said nothing but Andy answered with an even quieter affirmative. Mike stepped around me and I was looking at Simone. She came to my side immediately as Andy let go of my hand to turn around with Mike.

"I recognized him from pictures," she whispered, "I knew you hadn't seen him so I went to get Mike. Andy was quicker though."

"Get the fuck out," I heard Mike growl. Mike never really scared me. There were very few times that he ever actually had me scared. This was one of those times. "You're not wanted here."

Dillon wasn't one to back down from a fight though and that terrified me. I hated when my past collided with my future. Max had appeared in the room and stood behind Dillon. I heard him try to ask what was going on but then his sights fell on me and two plus two came out to four in his head.

"I can be here if I want to. I have friends here."

"I don't care who you have here. We're behind Kelly and we say you go," Mike said shortly. I watched him crack his knuckles and touched his shoulder delicately. He made no move to shrug me off but didn't acknowledge me either.

"Make me," Dillon pushed and I recognized exactly what had made me chase him in the beginning. I had been young and beyond idiotic, thinking his willingness to jump into any fight was bravery. It wasn't.

"I'm not fighting you--" Mike's speech was cut off by Andy, who punched Dillon directly in the face. Now, I'd seen Dillon fight almost anyone, anywhere, at any time; he usually only won because he had a reputation. Honestly, he wasn't all that great at fighting and usually only won because he could knock someone out with the first punch.

He hadn't thrown the first punch.

As many times as I'd watched someone I'd loved fight, it never got easier and seeing Andy get hit made me angry and distressed all at the same time. I screamed out his name and Simone held me back, hugging me from behind and using all her strength to keep me back. I was a few inches taller than her, and blindly angry, so that was a huge feat.

After blood was seen, Mike stepped in, pulling Andy away and it took Max and Vinny to pull Dillon away. Both men were seething and Andy turned to me, a small cut under his left eye and blood on his knuckles, to give me a hard kiss on the mouth. Simone released my arms so that I could wrap my arms around his neck.

"You fucking bitch!" Dillon cried from across the room but I ignored him. My qualms with him were in the past, every incident was over, every demon drowned. I had someone else now; new friends; a new life far away from him.

"Don't you ever fucking act like I don't care about you," Andy said quietly, grit coloring his tone. He gripped my face in his hands tightly, though not enough to hurt me. "And don't you ever fucking ignore me again, you nearly killed me inside. You mean the whole world to me Kell."

His voice broke on the last sentence and I let a few tears escape. I could still hear Dillon screaming, as he was dragged up the stairs and out of the venue. I wasn't focused on him. I was focused on the man in front of me, gorgeous, kind, and telling me everything I wanted to hear because he meant it and not because he wanted to manipulate me.

"Well, you mean the universe to me," I breathed out, crying openly now. He laughed and shook his head. He kissed my nose, then my forehead, each of my cheeks, and then my lips.

"That would entail me meaning more to you than you mean to me and that's just bullshit," he said, wiping tears off of my cheeks. "Calm down, he's gone and I'm here. We're all here for you."

That much was true. All of The Devil Wears Prada (band and crew, mind you) were now in the tiny room next to the bar that was used for merch space. There were mutterings of anger and concerned stares from everyone. I felt truly loved in that one single moment. With Andy stroking my hair and holding me to his chest, everything felt right...almost.

Mike and Simone still weren't together. They were speaking, yes, I was watching that happen myself, but it was awkward and uncomfortable. They were distant and cautious brought together only by my unfortunate meeting with an evil ex. I hated it. I hated that they still acted so coolly towards each other.

I wouldn't stand for it. Step Two was coming quickly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Birthday Present #1
Happy Birthday Simone! Love you bunches.

Present two and three come in the form of the next two chapters of The Plan! To be posted tomorrow and Thursday night consecutively of course, you know how I love cliffhangers.

And just to make the surprise extra-suspenseful, I'll give you a little hint: Step Two of the plan (Garden Gnomes and Sprinklers, if you don't recall) will be in full effect in Birthday Present #3.