The Plan

Garden Gnomes and Sprinklers

"Who the fuck put a bicycle on this list?" I asked.

"Who put a garden gnome on the list? Where are we going to find a garden gnome in the middle of Nashville?" Simone rebutted. She had a point. I put the gnome on the list though, and I knew exactly where we'd find it.

We were running around Nashville on our day off, having a scavenger hunt. Most of us had paired off, some of the crew opting to go out for another night of drinking instead. Simone was my partner and Mike was Andy's. The boys from A City In The Sky were all playing also.

Simone and I were kicking ass, having found at least a dozen items off the list already. Some of the stuff we only had to take pictures of (like a North Dakota license plate) and other stuff we had to steal (like the garden gnome). It was hot, despite the approaching dusk.

We both had our hair up, very little makeup on, and also a smaller amount of clothing than normal. All groups were forbidden to use any form of transportation other than walking or skateboarding, just to make everything fair and balanced. It was a great way to see the city and to get exercise.

"I think I know where we might find one of those but let's go to Starbucks or something. I need something iced," I suggested. We were both having lots of fun but it was exhausting running around.

"I'm so in," she agreed and we both walked slowly. She looped her arm through mine and leaned her head on my shoulder. "I feel like I've barely seen you this entire tour! It's so weird."

"I know! That's because Andy practically lives up my ass," I excused. The real reason was because I had to split my time between her and Mike, which upset me a gruesomely large amount. She giggled at my answer.

"I'm sure he'd love to be up your ass," she suggested. When I looked at her in shock, she wiggled her eyebrows and gave me a cheesy grin.

"Simone!" I screeched. "You're a sicko!"

We both laughed loudly. I loved that she was in a good mood. I knew that some quality time between us would put her into one though, which was all part of the plan. Starbucks, it seemed, were on every corner of every block in every major city in America. Most big cities I'd been in had proved that much.

It was slow inside and air-conditioned, which was a blessing. We both ordered iced vanilla chai's and I paid for hers, flashing her a grin and winking when she let out a noise of disapproval.

"You spoil me," she said simply. We took our drinks and I shrugged.

"You're my best friend; that's my job," I answered. We sat for a moment at a table by the window. I scrolled through my phone's list, looking at what items we still had to get and paying special attention to my texts from Andy. I had to enlist his help for this step.

"Kelly! Look! Fuck," Simone said, standing up and pointing through the window. I peered out and followed her finger, squinting. Andy and Mike were across the street. They both had their phones out, taking a picture of a red bicycle chained to a lamp post. "And you thought a bicycle was weird!"

"I hate myself," I said, staring out into the distance. We exited the store and I called out to them. "Hey fuckheads!"

Both turned, grinning. Simone sucked down her iced drink quickly. "This is the plan okay?" I whispered to her, "The park two blocks down and one block west has a small gnome in it. I saw it the other morning when I got in before y'all. We're gonna race them there and I'll take care of them, you get the gnome, yeah?"

"Sounds like a plan," she said, tossing her empty cup into the garbage and stretching. I smiled and waved at the boys tauntingly before turning it into a middle finger. Simone cupped her hands around her mouth and called out to them, "Race ya!"

The four of us took off on opposite sides of the street in the same direction. Andy yelled taunts across the street but Simone and I were far shorter than him and Mike so we had to focus on speed. Luckily, the streets weren't as full as they were at this time in good ol' New York, New York so we only pissed off a small number of people.

I prayed silently to a God I didn't believe in that Andy didn't fuck up the plan. I'd sacrificed the bike and suggested Starbucks all on a very time structured schedule. The sprinklers in the park went off at seven PM every evening and we could not miss it.

My lungs and legs burned with the effort. I tried to keep myself in the best shape possible but on tour, exercising was difficult along with eating healthy. I was more of a jogger than a sprinter anyway. Slow and steady wins the race, usually. The only benefit Simone and I had was that when we turned left we didn't need to cross the street, like they did.

However, our luck ran out when they reached the crosswalk as the walk sign flashed. We could all see the park now; round lanterns hung from the trees inside. There was a small, local folk music concert going on that night on the other side of the park. It added a nice, romantic ambience to our little adventure.

When we hit the park, Simone and I were laughing breathlessly. I was near exhaustion but I had the good sense to veer away from Simone, uttering a "Go! Right!" and then a fierce battle cry as I tackled Andy when we met at the gate. The two of us fell as Simone and Mike raced side by side deeper into the park.

"Fancy meeting you here," Andy said breathlessly. I lay on top of him, my heart racing and lungs screaming. I laughed, sweat appearing on every inch of my body and kissed his nose, then his cheeks, and then his lips.

"Come on, we have to watch!" I said, dragging my reluctant body upright and then helping my lanky crush up. We crept through the bushes and trees quickly and not so stealthily. I knew exactly where the gnome was but Mike and Simone didn't. They stayed close to each other, both smart and tactical enough to know how to find it.

Then, they spotted it. It was only about 20 feet from both of them, who had stood silently with their chests heaving. They glanced at each other and then both ran at the same time. Mike was in the lead but Simone, who undoubtedly wanted to beat him, screamed and jumped onto his back.

Mike stumbled, trying to support the unexpected weight on his back. It was amazing to see. I laughed as they veered off course and fell into the grass. They rolled a little bit and then settled into the grass on their backs next to each other. They were laughing hysterically.

The chase wasn't over though; Simone rolled onto all fours and crawled away from Mike and towards the gnome. Mike reached out and grabbed her ankle, pulling her backwards. Right on cue, the automatic sprinklers went off, soaking all four of us. Simone screeched and Mike yelled. Andy and I had expected it though and were silent.

The water was freezing and the two of them struggled on the wet grass. Andy wrapped his arms around my waist and picked me up, spinning me around in circles as the water cooled our skin. I laughed and shrieked in delight. He kissed me deeply as we spun, his tongue tasting my bottom lip.

When he put me down, Simone had one hand on the gnome and the other one tangled in Mike's hair as they kissed. Mike was half on top of her, one hand on her hip and the other supporting his weight. My jaw dropped and I squealed in excitement. They were both soaked through, making out in the grass.

When Mike pulled away from her, I could see the small smile on her face. I had been momentarily scared that she'd slap him or do something silly but she didn't; Simone allowed him to kiss her softly one more time before he decided not to press his luck and he rolled to lay next to her.

"Simone and Mike sittin' in a tree!" I called mockingly, walking over to them holding hands with Andy.

"K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" Andy finished for me. I laughed and ran over to my friend, pouncing down on her and tickling her sides. She laughed and slapped at my hands before I sat next to her in the grass, pulling the gnome into my lap.

The four of us sat in the park, soaking wet under the sprinklers. It was dark now, light coming only from the lanterns in the distance and the lamp posts scattered around the park. My breathing became more regular and Simone and I gloated over beating the boys for the gnome.

"Oh shut up!" Andy said, sticking his tongue out at me. I crawled over Simone and Mike's laps to lick his tongue with mine. "That was kind of hot," he said, pulling me into his lap by my waist. I curled into his chest, the warm air tickling our wet skin. I nuzzled my face into his neck, nipping at the skin there.

"I had so much fun!" Simone said, smiling. I nodded in agreement.

"Me too," Mike answered, "We should do this on every tour from now on!"

"We really should," Simone agreed quietly. She looked down at her lap and then up at him through her eyelashes, exuding a shy manner. He smiled at her and his eyes smouldered in adoration. When I glanced up at Andy, he kissed me.

"Look at how they look at each other," I whispered. "It's beautiful."

"Yeah, I hope they get back together," he whispered back. His lips against my ear made me shiver. "Are you cold? Let's go back to the hotel. We'll get sick from being so wet."

Mike and Simone led the way back. Simone nursed the garden gnome in her arms as they spoke, shyly at first and then more confidently. I held Andy's hand as we walked.

"That was an awesome idea Kell, you're brilliant," he said. I looked up at him and smiled.

"Thanks handsome," I sighed. He looked away, biting back a smile.

"You really think I'm handsome?" he asked coyly.

"Of course!" I pushed, "I think you're the best looking man I've ever seen."

"Shut up Kelly," Mike called back, "I'm the best looking man you've ever seen, obviously."

"Yeah, alright, sure you are," I retorted, sarcasm coloring my tone, "Over my dead body."

"Well, if it helps at all Mike," Simone said, "I think you're the best looking man I've ever seen."

"I'd much rather hear it from you. Thank you Simone," he said, without missing a beat. My heart filled with happiness and I started swinging Andy and I's hands between us. I could probably skip out of pure euphoria. We garnered a lot of strange looks. I could imagine why. The group of us got strange looks when we weren't soaking wet, covered in grass, and carrying a gnome with us.

"I had a lot of fun Kell," Andy said, swinging me up into his arms bridal style. He kissed me again and I wrapped my arms around his neck, stroking the hair on the back of his head.

"Never stop kissing me," I instructed. He smiled down at me and kissed me again. I sighed contently and then leaned my head into his chest. My legs were so tired and I looked forward to a nice warm shower and being lazy in the fluffy hotel bed.

"Let's all take showers and make blanket forts and get room service and watch movies!" Simone suggested happily. I nodded in agreement, as did the boys. Her effort warmed my heart and made my toes wiggle in my sneakers. Andy kissed the top of my head and I sighed.

Life was a beautiful thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrestled with my mom to get my laptop back.
It was more MMA style--Sparta worthy, if I do say so myself.

Speaking of, I commented on Covet.
I'm not sure if you saw it!

Love ya Simone, thanks for being patient with my reckless, rebellious ways' punishment.