The Plan

Thirty First Day of Tour

The hospital waiting room sent us all home except for Simone and our tour manager.

There were still tons of kids lingering around the sidewalk when we got back to the bus. They'd all been alerted that the show was cancelled but, with flattering dedication, had waited around to be the first ones to know if Mike was okay. I'd gone straight into the venue to pack up the small amount of merch that Simone had gotten to set up. I loaded up the van and then stood at Andy's side while he talked to fans.

It took up time before Mike would get back. We were supposed to clear the area so that no one bothered him and when a cab pulled up to the curb holding our sick brother, the few remaining fans were very quiet and respectful. Mike kept his eyes on his feet as he leaned heavily into Simone. We all followed him onto the bus and gathered around as Simone dropped him onto the small couch. She sat next to him, her hand territorially placed on his knee. We were all quiet.

"I'm not dead guys," he finally said, his voice raspy. "You can talk and be normal."

The tension on the bus broke and everyone began to act normally. All of us were waiting for our turn to talk with Mike but I stayed toward the back of the unofficial line. I was nervous to see him. Simone's look at the hospital made me think she was angry with me and thought it was my fault. I thought it was partially my fault too. I pulled my red hair through my fingers nervously.

"Hey Kell," Mike said, his tone almost shy. He fluttered his eyelashes at me and I hugged him gingerly. He gave me a sheepish smile.

"Mike, you scared the ever living shit out of me," I admitted. "This is all my fault!"

"It's not your fault," Simone said, surprising me. She surveyed me with a cold eye despite her words. "Though it would have been really nice to have you around this afternoon when I was terrified in the hospital, alone."

I blinked at her in confusion. Andy's arm wrapped around my shoulders.

"Simone, no one woke us up. There were no phone calls and no texts when we did wake up. You can't blame me or Kelly for that," Andy explained gently. Simone's eyes softened and she pursed her lips.

"I guess so," she agreed, rubbing her hand over Mike's knee gently. She gazed at him through tired eyes. I could tell she needed sleep and we'd heard that we were all getting hotel rooms for the night and seeing if Mike could travel to Arizona for the next show, which was three nights away.

"Don't blame yourself," Mike said. His voice was wearing thin. He had deep purple bags under his eyes and his skin was paler than usual. He looked sick and I wrapped my arm around Andy to keep him safe. "I had more to drink in the van when Simone was driving."

"What?" I shrieked, my mouth dropping open and my voice flying up three octaves. "What the fuck made you think that was a good idea?"

"Uh, I was plastered?" he pointed out. I shook my head and then chuckled.

"Now you're taking leaves out of my book from like, five years ago."

"I always love your stories from five years ago Kell," he said, cracking a smile, "Maybe in five years this will be like one of your cool ones."

"I'm a bad influence," I said stoically, "Stop drinking and bury that nose of yours in a book."

I was glad that things seemed to be back to normal. He would cough pathetically once in a while and Simone would touch his back with patient urgency. He smiled at her each time she reached to help him. The sun was setting behind the bus and since the hotel we were staying at was across the city, the bus would be pulling out of the spot at any moment. Max had offered to drive our merch van over, which I happily let him do.

The hotel lobby was shitty and smelled like an old dish rag but the rooms were decently clean and didn't have much of an odor. Simone and I were supposed to share a room and then Mike and Andy but Simone and I traded so that I could be with my boyfriend and she could take care of Mike. I was suspicious of whether or not they were a couple again but, of course, it wasn't the time to ask.

Andy and I changed before walking down the hallway to Mike and Simone's room. Everyone was going to a Subway down the street for dinner and it made sense to just go with them. Simone answered the door and let us in. Mike was laying in bed, propped up by all of the pillows, and holding a book as I'd instructed. His glasses were on and he smiled when he saw us.

"You coming to eat with us?" I asked Simone. She shrugged.

"I'd rather stay with Mike. Could you bring me something back?" she asked. I opened my mouth to answer but Mike cut me off swiftly.

"No. Go with them. You won't be gone a long time and you need a break, you've been with me all day," he said, touching her hand. She smiled down at him and shook her head.

"I'd really like to stay with you," she disagreed quietly. Whenever they spoke in such soft tones I felt like I was witnessing a private moment. It made me blush and avert my eyes.

"I'd really like you to take a break and let me rest for a while. I'll still be here when you get back," he said gently, though his words implied force. I watched Simone look at him. Then she nodded and turned to look at us. Her eyes had bags almost as impressive as Mike's and her face was just as pale. She smiled thinly.

"Let me brush my hair and I'll grab my stuff."

We waited for her in silence. Mike ignored us, absorbed in the beginning pages of a new book that I assumed had been picked up on the way back from the hospital. Andy pulled me into a hug and rested his chin on top of my head. I felt very withdrawn from everyone, even my boyfriend. Simone reappeared in an instant and we made it all the way to the lobby in silence.

Downstairs, there was a huge group of tattooed men wearing black. I smiled at this. Some things never changed and everywhere we went, we garnered the most incredulous of looks. Texas left a lot of people giving us second looks. We walked down the sidewalk in a large pack. We were loud as there were so many of us.

It took forever in Subway. I was once a fast food worker, way back in the day, and I knew how pissed the employees must have been when we walked in. On such short notice and with so many vegetarians, it was just easier to go to Subway. Eventually we all got fed and filled up the restaurant. Simone, Andy, Chris, and I all ended up with the last open table next to the window. We began eating immediately.

"I was really terrified though," Simone had been talking about the experience, "As soon as he was puking and was also unconscious I knew he had to go to the emergency room. It was rough because of the ambulance and all the kids but once we were at the hospital and they finally pumped his stomach I felt a little better."

"I am really sorry that I wasn't awake," I apologized again, sipping at my iced tea. She shrugged and waved off my apology.

"No, it's fine. No one woke you up and it's not like we're telekinetic," she said.

"We should be at this point, honestly. We're together constantly," I answered. Andy's hand fell to my knee and he rubbed my thigh gently. I smiled over at him and he grinned, looking away.

"That would be seriously helpful honestly," she pointed out. "Whatever, we'll have to deal with cell phones I guess."

Chris and Andy spoke then, mostly about the three extra shows they'd have to eventually make up for. It wasn't anything Simone and I really cared about. She was falling asleep with her head in her hands on the table. I shook my head.

"C'mon babe, let's head back. Simone's practically asleep," I prodded Andy's ribs. He nodded. "You comin' Chris?"

"Nah, I'll hang around here for now," he answered.

"We might come back after we drop her off," I said and he nodded. We all stood from the table and threw out our trash. It was dark outside now and the air was cool. I walked in front of Andy with Simone. She sighed slightly as we walked.

"Hey, this might be weird but," I started, glancing back at Andy, "Are you and Mike together again? Like, after today? It just really seems like it to me and I wasn't sure."

Simone didn't answer for a moment. She looked up at me.

"Are you sure you're not telekinetic?" she asked, answering my question. My stomach soared. "We were talking about getting back together in the van last night and I said I'd think about it; that's why he started drinking more. Then, right after he got his stomach pumped he asked me not to leave him ever. I didn't say anything at first but he was crying and he looked so helpless. It kind of made me realize that I don't want to be separated from him for any real reason, let alone a problem that I've been over for a while now."

"So you said yes?" I clarified.

"Well, no..."

"Simone, I am seriously misunderstanding," I said. We were in front of the hotel now but none of us moved to go in. Simone and I were speaking intensely and Andy stood somewhat awkwardly to the side. His hands were in his pockets and he was staring at the sky. "Are you two back together or not?"

"Okay well, he asked me to be his girlfriend when we got to the room and I told him I'd give him an answer when I got back from dinner. I've decided to say yes," she clarified.

"Thank god!" I squealed, pulling her into a hug. She giggled and hugged me back tightly. I was sort of bummed that my plan didn't have a chance to be the reason they got back together but I was beyond stoked that my two best friends were back together, even if the circumstances were less than perfect.

"Aren't the circumstances less than perfect though?" my boyfriend asked suddenly. I was so taken aback by the fact that he'd said what was on my mind that I let go of Simone. She stared up at him in confusion.

"I-what?"

"I dunno, like are you sure you weren't guilted into it because he was sick?"

"Andy, shut the fuck up," I hissed. He shrugged.

"Mike's my best friend and I want to make sure you're dating him again for the right reasons. I'm sure you understand," he made his case. Simone stood there looking up at him with a blank look. I could have smacked him. I was seriously concerned that she was gonna take it all back.

"That's a good point. I'll have to discuss it with him," she said, then she looked at me, "Maybe we'll see what happens next week."

"Next week," I repeated dully. I breathed in deeply and closed my eyes. We'd been so close and now we were back where we started. She nodded and hugged me again before giving a small wave and walking into the hotel. I stood there, dejected, as if I'd just been dumped. Andy pulled my hand into his and tugged me back in the direction we came. "Babe, you are a fucking idiot."

"Do you really think so?" he asked as we walked. "I'm just looking out for Mike. Simone obviously has something fucked up going on about this whole situation. I don't want it to not last because it was based on guilt."

"I fucking guess so," I spat. I was grumpy now. I could see his point but I thought it was moot. Simone and Mike had been together for a long time now. To me, it had seemed like Mike's sickness had made Simone realize that she didn't want to be broken up anymore. There had been no sense of guilt when she'd described it to me. Andy had fucked it all up.

I still had two steps left.
♠ ♠ ♠
So close and yet so far!!!!