The Plan

Make Mike Dance

“I feel so awkward.”

“I’m going to kill you Mike, just stand up and walk over to her.”

It’s funny how meeting one person can change your life forever.

In the year and a half that I’d known Mike Hranica, my life could never be the same.

I was living in Ohio with Andy as strictly roommates, less emphasis on the strictly. Simone had moved out with us a month ago. She was going to school and whenever she could, she would come out on tour with us.

If I’d never met Mike, I didn’t like thinking about it. If I’d never met him I’d still be living in New York at some mediocre job, going to my concerts every weekend. I might have never moved out of my parent’s house, at least not until I found someone to marry.

Now I was happy. I was successful. I had good, positive friends.

The plan was kind of going slow.

“It’s not that simple Kell. What if she doesn’t want to dance?”

I sighed deeply and rolled my eyes. We were all dressed up and sitting in the reception of Jeremy’s cousin’s wedding. Everyone was dancing and having fun except for Mike and I, who sat arguing at our table. Simone stood with Jeremy next to the dance floor, tugging at the length of her dress.

“If she says no to you then I’ll strip naked and dance on the bar.”

“It might be worth her saying no just to watch you make an ass of yourself.”

I sent him a stern look and he grinned sheepishly. Simone and him were so blind about each other’s feelings. It kind of made the rest of us sick how they skirted around each other, constantly flirting but never doing anything about it.

They went out to lunch and sometimes he’d drive her to her classes. They kind of just infuriated me with all of their cuteness. Yet somehow, though my plan was working, I was unsatisfied. It had to be adjusted.

“Ask her to dance Mike, she’s not gonna say no. I’ll go with you and take Jeremy, okay?” I suggested. He paled slightly but nodded. We both got up and made our way over to our friends. They looked as we approached and I touched Jeremy’s shoulder lightly.

“Dance with me,” I whispered, grabbing his hand and pulling him into the crowd. A slow song was on and it didn’t seem to be changing anytime soon. We twirled around together. I watched through the bodies as Mike awkwardly rubbed his neck and nodded his head towards the dance floor.

“Did she say yes?” Jeremy asked softly. As she nodded, I nodded. He spun me around to take a look for himself and then suddenly I was watching them dance. It was a little bit awkward at first but then I watched them fall into step, smiling and laughing.

“It’s about time they do something romantic.”

“If he doesn’t ask her out, I’ll do it for him. It’s getting pathetic to watch honestly,” I said. The slow song ended and a more upbeat song came on. The rest of the guys found us and we all started dancing together, bringing Mike and Simone into the group. I danced with her until my feet hurt and I ventured off to find some champagne.

Mike stood by the table, holding a glass out to me.

“I told you so.”

My name is Kelly Veneziano and I made Mike dance.