I'm Trying to Leave the Memories of You Behind, so Would It Be out of Line If I Said I Miss You?

I Knew You Back When And You Knew Me

As I watch the slideshow flash past on the television screen. I realise something. I realise I miss her. I realise that even though I see her everyday, we never talk. I hardly know her now and she no longer knows me. We used to share everything, tell each other secrets. We used to be best friends. We never went anywhere without each other. Now you're lucky it we go somewhere together, willingly with no arguements.

I look at the screen, there we are hand in hand... happy. Both of us dressed in knee length blue and white checkered dresses with the first letter of our names embroidered on with blue thread. D on mine. H on hers. Our straight pale blond hair tied in lopsided pigtails because we couldn't sit still for longer than two minutes. Cyan blue eyes peeking out from under our fringes. Cheeky smiles upon our faces. I remember that day perfectly. It was the day of our fifth birthday party. We were so excited. Everyone from our class at school had been invited. We were going to go swimming but we ended up indoors. It had started to rain so we played pin the tail on the donkey, hide and seek and musical chairs. We both got really nice presents, my favourite was the bright purple teddy bear Alice gave me. Even though it rained that day we still thought it was the best day ever.

The door slammed shut jolting me out of my memories. I look at the door, it was her. She turns to leave.
"Wait" I say, "Do you remember this?" I ask while pointing at the screen where the image had been paused. She turns around slowly and comes to sit on the couch. I move over to make room.
"Yeah, i remember that day' She whispers. "We thought it was best day ever" I smile and press play on the remote.

Then the picture changed to a more recent photo, about three years ago. Thats when it all started. We were on opposite sides of the photo, our younger brother between us. Our now dark brown hair tied in messy ponytails. Our cyan blue eyes glaring at the camera. Frowns upon our faces. Dressed in black jeans and avenged sevenfold t-shirts. We still looked and acted like each other but not as much as we used to. I remember this day... It was Christmas Day 2003. We had both wanted drums or a guitar. I wanted drums more than a guitar and she wanted a bass guitar more than a drum set. I got my drum set, it was the exact one I wanted; black with green trims around the top and bottom of each drum. It had five drums and 2 symbols. She got her guitar but not the one she wanted. She wanted a black and baby blue bass guitar. However our parents had got her a pink and white electric guitar. She got so angry and ran upstairs, upset that I had got exactly what I wanted and she hadn't. I ran upstairs after her, telling her that we could trade it in, in the morning, but she wouldn't listen. She just screamed for me to go away and leave her alone.

Since that day so many years ago, we have barely spoken to each other. All because our parents didn't listen to her, only to me. I guess that comes with having a twin sister. Just then I was jolted out of my thoughts.
"I'm sorry, it's all my fault we haven't been talking for years" She whispers.
"I could have tried harder it's not your fault" I whisper back.
"Sisters and friends again?"
"Sisters and friends" I smile.
Just then we hear our mother yell. "Hope, Destiny come open your presents!"
"Race you" I say
"Okay... GO!" Hope yells