Pick Me Right up off the Ground

eleven

"Lacey, what are these?"

Joel asked me one night, finding my incredible stash of prescription painkilling pills. Oxycontin was in the mix. I shrugged, anxiety building in my stomach, knotting furiously against my throat. Joel opened the almost empty bottle and went to the bathroom, the others in his hands. I followed after him, Benji hot on my heels.

"Joel... Joel, what are you going to do?"

I asked him frightfully. He didn't answer me. He poured my drugs down the toliet. Benji grabbed me and held me against him as Joel poured my oxy, my tramadol, and all my tylenol and advil. I was trembling when Joel was finished. He came over to me and stared me in the eyes. I swear I must have started crying, because there was something wet on my face.

"Lacey... when did this start?"

It was like high school all over again, when the boys found out about dad abusing me. I shuddered against Benji and turned in his arms, hugging him tightly. The drugs had made my thinking pattern weird, and instead of turning to Joel like I normally did, I turned to Benji. I could practically feel the hurt in Joel's aura.

"Lacey... please."

Joel whispered, prying me from Benji and holding me tightly against him. I was shuddering.

"Patricia died, Joel. About a week or so ago. She died from a drug overdose."

Benji gasped slightly, shocked. Joel stared at me before letting me go, wandering back into the bathroom to gather the empty pill containers. They were all prescribed to me, I had reason to take them. Joel and Benji just didn't know what those reasons were, and I wasn't about to tell them either.

"So, you're going to start up on a habit that killed your sister?"

"She wasn't even a part of my life until two weeks ago! Patricia and I hated each other and when she ran away to New York it was the best day of my life."

I suddenly screamed at him. I wasn't angry, I wasn't even upset. I was just ... I honestly don't know what I was feeling. I guess I was tired of feeling like I had to hold everything in to keep myself from going crazy. I felt tears running down my face and Benji came behind me and cradled me against his back. I pushed away from the twins and went to my room, slamming the door and collasping onto my bed, sobs racking my body.

I had disappointed the two guys I never wanted to. They were probably getting their stuff to leave, never talk to me again. The swell of new emotions rushed to my throat and I choked out another sob. I didn't hear my door open, and I didn't feel the twin weights on either side of me. I felt their arms though, coming around my waist, and their body weight on either side of me.

"Lacey, please. I'm sorry,"

Joel whispered into my hair, while Benji used his thumbs to wipe the tears off my cheeks. I curled into them sadly, and felt their hold tighten. I fell asleep cradled between my best friends.