Pick Me Right up off the Ground

nine

The boys called me two minutes after I got off the train, and I told them that I was bringing company over. I didn't want to say who it was; they would never believe me if I told them. So, I walked home, quietly making conversation with my sister whom I hadn't seen for close to four years. Once we reached my apartment, I told her that I had my friends over.

Walking into my apartment, I saw - and smelt - Joel and Benji cooking dinner for us, and my sister. I closed the door and Benji was the first one to turn around. I think he knew who it was immediately; his face dropped and his mouth opened. I couldn't see a single emotion in his face, it was just ... blank. He nudged Joel around, and when the other twin caught sight of my sister, he frowned slightly.

"Who's that, Lacey?"

Joel asked me. I looked at Patricia and sighed. She stepped into my tiny kitchen and smiled at Joel.

"It's me, Patricia. I needed a place to stay for a bit, so Lacey here's letting me stay until I can get back on my feet."

However long that was, I mused mentally. Benji walked past her like she wasn't there, grabbed my arm and yanked me into my bedroom. Closing the door behind him, he stared at me like I had grown a second head.

"Why did you bring her back here, Lacey?"

He asked me, his voice not any higher than a whisper. I looked at him, then past him at the closed door, and then again at the guy who has pretty much saved my life with his brother.

"I didn't want to, Benj. Trust me."

I defended myself. He sighed and rubbed his temples. He looked like he knew something I shouldn't. I sighed and stepped back, falling backwards onto the bed. He joined me at my side, laying beside me. Entangling my fingers with his, he held my hand for a few minutes, before Joel called us for dinner. Getting up, we broke apart and smiled at each other, before joining my sister and Joel for dinner.