Status: maybeee

Catching the Waves

Prologue

Snow floated above her head in cotton ball sized flakes, sticking to her hair and simultaneous melting and freezing to it. A similar process occurred in the trees, from the leafless oaks to towering pines; the snowflakes clung to their every branch and they glittered under the full moon and stars. With time, the snow would begin piling up around them, hiding the dead grass and the girl’s bare feet with sparkling whiteness. But for now, it was silent and peaceful, with the ground still visible and the cold not yet unbearable for person or plant.

The young girl shivered, the snow having soaked through her nightgown and leaving her nearly vulnerable to the bitter cold. Her flushed toes drew patterns in the frost, her arms flung out as if this simple task involved a considerable amount of balance. And she was humming, ever so quietly but loud enough for her ears alone. It was a simple tune with no actual melody, no repetition, only the random changes of pitch inside her mouth. Once in awhile the girl would step up on her tiptoes and twirl in a circle, her gown flowing around her legs and damp brown hair stiffly following suit. It was only then that the humming would come to a hiatus, and lighthearted giggles bubbled from her throat instead. However, in a matter of seconds she’d drop back down and rock herself on the balls of her feet, holding her arms and blowing into her palms for warmth.

Despite everything, her mind could not have been further from her hometown of Lauderdale, New Hampshire. Memories of crashing waves and the tingling of hot sand between her toes was enough to overflow her body with joy. So much joy, perhaps she could forgive Mother Nature for dropping her in such a dismal land.

Nothing about the dead landscape and bitter cold would ever appeal to her. This she’d long since decided. She knew not how to snowboard or ski and though she enjoyed it on occasion, ice skating was not a passion of hers. No, the girl was completely indifferent to the season, and the town she lived in. It was a town that matched its climate.

But that was before she met him.

After, she found every reason to detest it there.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story, haha.

Comment? :D