Status: In Progress

Set Fire to the Rain

Brothers

Shannon’s POV

Leaving Eliza’s hospital room was one of the hardest things I had ever done. It damned near broke me, walking away from her. Especially with Eliza believing that I wanted nothing to do with her. That was fucking bullshit. But of course, because of Jared’s genius plan, I couldn’t stay with her and tell her how I really felt. I thought it was ridiculous. When I had called J into the hallway, I told him I was finished with the whole fucking thing, and that I was going to walk back in the room and tell her I had been a class-A dick and beg El to take be back. Shit, I would have gotten on my knees and begged if necessary, but Jared had said it was important to stay the course, just like he had said repeatedly on the way to the hospital. He had warned me that once we knew that Eliza was going to be ok, and it looked like she was going to be ok, thank god; that I would have to promise to stay focused and promise to continue with the plan. Back in the hallway, Jared said he truly believed that it was working so far. I had a missed call on my phone from her and according to MJ and JT she has been miserable.

Personally, I don’t give a fuck anymore. I just want to stay and wrap El up in my arms and take care of her, protect her from that sick fuck of an ex. Except that my brother keeps insisting that in the end, it would all be worth it. I told Jared that if I ended up losing her because of his stupid idea, that I would never speak to him again. Ok, maybe that was pushing it, but I wouldn't forgive him for it. Being without Eliza has been like having a part of me missing, a whole new experience for me. I missed her more than I ever thought possible. Maybe that’s why I am sitting in the waiting room of the hospital waiting for Jack to show up. We still haven’t heard anything from him on David’s status, and I for one am very interested in that piece of information. One of the first things Jack did was send units to David’s house to question him. David’s car was there but no sign of David and that’s all we know. Jack was working on it and the last I had heard from him, he had said he was on his way to the hospital to see his sister. I have a feeling when he hears what’s happening with El and I he won’t be too thrilled. I wouldn’t expect him to be. Hell, I’m not.

I sat and waited alone for what seemed like an hour or so, when I heard the door to the waiting room open. I looked up and saw Jack and the kids standing there with terrified expressions on their faces. They were exhausted and MJ was in her pajamas. It was well after 3am the last time I had looked at my watch and that was at least a couple hours ago. Mags came running over as I stood up and wrapped her arms around me. I hugged her back, looking up at Jack and JT as I did.

“Hey there pretty girl. It’s ok.” I said in a tired, soothing voice.

“Is she ok, where is she? Why are you out here?” MJ asked in a worried voice.

“She’s awake. Jared and the nurse that found her at the scene are both in the room with her. Liz, her name is. I know seeing all of you will be the best medicine for your mom right now. Just a warning, she is pretty banged up.” I said as MJ backed up and leaned against her Uncle. “And I um left. It’s better that way for now.” MJ would get it since she knew about the plan, though she may not due to the present circumstances. Jack and JT were pretty much in the dark, and I haven’t yet figured out how to handle that.

“If you left, and it’s better that way, then why are you still out here by yourself?” JT asked me.

“I… I couldn’t leave until I talked to your Uncle. And besides I wasn’t ready to leave yet.”

“I am so confused.” JT groaned. “I am going to go see mom. Mags, you coming with?”

“Yeah. See you later Shannon.”

“Hey guys, listen, you didn’t see me here ok?”

“Um, yeah sure.” They both answered, shrugging their shoulders and walked out the door after hugging their Uncle.

“Thanks.” I said as the door shut behind them.

“I am not even going to ask, as much as it’s killing me to know what the hell is going on.” Jack said with a serious look on his face.

“I appreciate that.” I said softly. “So, any word on what exactly happened tonight, or any idea on where David is?”

Jack gave a frustrated sigh and ran his right hand through his hair and over his face walking over to the couch next to where I was sitting once again, and sat down facing me with his elbows on his knees, looking up at me. “There is still no sign of him. His car was in the garage. It’s in perfect condition from what we could see through the windows, Shannon. We couldn't gain access to the garage because David wasn't there. From what we could see, there wasn't a scratch on it. We are towing her car to have it looked over and collect evidence. Someone definitely ran her off the road from the photos I have seen. But what we know now is, it appears that it could not have been David.”

“Well according to Liz, Eliza said that she was absolutely sure it was David. I know El, she would never lie or make something up like that.” I said. “I am pretty sure that Liz was hanging around waiting to hopefully talk with you and fill you in on what El told her. She seems like good people. I like her.”

“I definitely want to talk to her. Anything she can tell me is more than what I have now. In all honesty, I wouldn’t put anything past David. He’s a very smart, manipulative, and duplicitous man. I am not saying he didn’t do it; I’m only saying that it looks like he didn’t do it. But we all know that looks can be very deceiving when it comes to that bastard. I swear to fuck he had better stay the hell away. Hey, can I ask you something Shannon?”

“Sure…” This should be interesting.

“I know I said I wouldn’t ask, but I am going to be going in to see my sister and apparently something happened between you two, and I think I need to know what that is. Especially with everything that happened tonight. It’s pretty obvious that you care about El. So why are you sitting out here pretending that you left already. All the while, she is probably sitting in her hospital room missing you and being completely miserable.”

“Fuck my life. You are not making this any easier for me.”

“Listen, she could have been killed tonight, so don’t talk to me about making it easier, ok?”

“Yeah, I know she could have died. I heard her on the fucking phone and I couldn’t do a goddamned thing about it! For fucks sake, all I wanted to do was take off and find her. I didn’t care about the signing or anything else after Jared told me she was hurt. I just wanted to take off and find her. But Jared convinced me to leave it to you and the professionals, and that we should stay and do our jobs.” I groaned and rolled my eyes.

“That’s what happens when you care about someone. Everything else, all common sense flies out the window. So why is it you are sitting out here and not in there with her? You still haven’t answered my question.”

I sat and thought it over for a moment. Who did I really have to talk to about this whole thing other than Jared and MJ? No body, absolutely no one. I was basically sworn to secrecy. This whole thing was top-secret. No one could know about it. What would be the worst thing that could happen if I told Jack, maybe not the whole thing, but part of it? He may beat the shit out of me, but at least I could get my frustrations out. I had just had a huge fight with my brother, the only person I had been able to talk with about the whole thing, the woman I love is stuck in the hospital because of her psycho ex-husband, and I am out here by myself sulking. Fuck it, what do I have left to lose. “Ughhhh!! It was all Jared’s fucking idea! Ok!? We are trying to make her realize she feels the same way about me, as I feel for her. She keeps flip flopping back and forth and my heart can’t take it. The last time El and I talked she told me she only wanted to be friends, and I was fucking devastated. I went to talk to my brother and he came up with this stupid fucking idea to win her over. It’s freaking killing me Jack. I haven’t talked to her, texted or seen her until tonight. And I just walked out of her hospital room leaving her in tears. I almost damned near decked my brother. If I wasn’t afraid of being arrested, I probably would have. I need her Jack, I love her. I can’t explain it. I know I haven’t known her that long, and we aren’t even dating, but she is the most amazing, funny, smart, tough, beautiful woman I have ever met and I just can’t imagine my life without her in it. Honestly though, I think I may have just blown the one chance I had to make it right. Fuck!” I stood up completely frustrated and started pacing the room. I couldn’t sit still under normal circumstances and this was not normal. Plus I figured if I was moving around, then Jack would have less of a chance of hitting me, since I had just declared my feelings towards his baby sister. Knowing him and how protective he is, I had a feeling it wouldn’t go over so well. As I paced the room I waited anxiously for his response.

Jack finally spoke in a low serious tone that made me turn around and look at him. “Shannon, I like you. I think you are a good guy. You are smart, funny, talented, and you have been nothing but respectful and very good to my sister, so far. I have no idea what you and your brother have planned, but I want to make it clear to you right now, that if you so much as harm a single hair on her head, I will personally make your life a fucking misery. My sister is everything to ME. Always has been and I will protect her with everything I have. Her not talking to me these past few days have been the worst I can remember, and I intend on fixing that. But you are just a guy that she is getting to know, who could decide to leave at the drop of a hat, who is in fact leaving to go home in a week. I will never abandon her for any reason. You say you love her, but you need to make absolutely certain that this is how you feel about her. She has been through too much. And knowing her, the decision to be friends was made more to protect herself and her heart from being broken in the end when you leave, than because she doesn’t care. You have to understand, that my sister hasn’t been with anyone other than fucktard, and he did nothing but abuse her from the moment they were married. So you coming along and treating her with respect and showing her what it’s like to be cared for the way she deserves, is a whole new experience for her. She has never had that. You need to be extremely patient. It probably scares the crap out of her, and she doesn’t know what to do with the feelings she is having. All I have to say is that this little plan of yours had better be on the up and up. No screwing around. Especially with what’s happened tonight. When the time comes, I would really appreciate it if you would let me in on the rest of your little plan. Do we understand one another?”

I just stood there with my hands in my pockets tapping my fingers, as I listened to Jacks little speech. Understanding where he was coming from as an older brother myself, I felt the same protectiveness over Jared. Though, I am guessing Jack had a much stronger protective urge when it came to Eliza, especially with everything she has been through. I walked back over to the couch opposite his and sat down to talk.

“Jack, I have absolutely no plans to screw around with El’s feelings. That’s the last thing I want to do. At the end of all this, I hope that she will agree to be my girlfriend.” I smiled at him as the word girlfriend left my lips. “And I appreciate where you are coming from as an older brother, because believe it or not, I feel the same way about Jared sometimes, maybe not to the extreme that you do, but almost, and understandably so. As far as my leaving to go home at the end of next week, I understand your reservations, but I am more than willing to do anything to make it work. I don’t care what it is. If she is willing to give me a chance, then I will do whatever it takes to make that work. Like I said, I love El, I have never felt like this with anyone, it’s all new territory for me. So yeah, we understand each other.” I said clasping my hands nervously in front of me.

“Alright then. That’s all I needed to know. Listen I hate to leave you out here by yourself, but I need to go back and see her. “Jack shook my hand after he stood up and he began walking towards the door to the waiting room. He stopped before pulling the door open, and said “Don’t worry; I won’t say anything about you still being here. But you fuck this up, and all bets are off.” With that, he stepped out the door and walked down the hall towards Eliza’s room.

I sat back on the couch, slowly closing my eyes and the next thing I know, I was having the most wonderful dreams filled with nothing but a future content with my beautiful girlfriend, Eliza…
♠ ♠ ♠
Update!! Yay! I hope you enjoyed. Please comment, subscribe and recommend. Let me know what you think and tell your friends. Show the story some love!! Thank you for hanging in there everyone. I love y'all so much! I hope to update again soon!

<3
mysoul4jimmy(Stacey)