Status: In Progress

Set Fire to the Rain

Sunday

Waking up to the most amazing smells in the world, fresh coffee, eggs, bacon, and something with cinnamon in the air, I rolled over in Shannon's bed to find him missing. I heard whistling coming from the kitchen I am guessing. So I got up and went in the bathroom to brush my teeth and brush my hear etc. There was no need to scare the man and give him any reason to re-consider his decision asking me to be his girlfriend. The thought gave me butterflies and made me smile. Huge! I was scared that after I had slept on it last night that I would have changed my mind, but after last night and watching him sleep, yes I did that, I realized just how much I cared for him. I had gotten up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and it took me a while to get back to sleep. So while I was laying awake, I curled up next to Shannon,tracing his tattoos, and watched him sleep.

I thought about everything he had told me, and everything he and I had been through, and he was right; we could get through this better together. If he was willing to travel and make this work, then so am I. Am I still terrified about David, and what will happen with him, fuck yes. However, I have made a decision, and I can't wait to tell Shannon. I hope he is happy with it, because I didn't come to this conclusion lightly. Last night was perfect, being wrapped up in his arms. We were never separated except when I got up. I never slept so well, and that was saying something. I finished running the brush through my hair, and made my way back to the door to the bedroom. Opening it, I saw Shannon laying on the bed with a large tray, that held 2 plates filled with breakfast foods, plus 2 glasses of juice, a bowl of fresh fruit, and 2 cinnamon bagels. He had his cup of coffee on the bedside table next to him. The pillows were already propped up and waiting for me. My jaw dropped. He's killing me here.

"Good morning gorgeous girlfriend of mine. I thought I would bring you breakfast in bed." Patting the spot where I had spent the night, he held the tray in his lap while I made my way to the bed.

I put my crutches aside and slid onto the bed, leaning over so that our faces were only centimeters apart. "Good morning sexy boyfriend of mine. And you are spoiling me. Really this was not necessary." Then I leaned in all the way kissing him.

"Mmmm. For that alone, Ms Cahrter you definitely deserve breakfast in bed." Wiggling his eyebrows at me, he chuckled then kissed me again, this time a bit longer and a bit more heated. I rather enjoyed it. "We should probably start to eat this wonderful meal I have prepare for you before it gets cold."

"Tooting our own horn are we?"

"Uh! I am wounded! You don't think I can cook!?"

"Shan, it smells amazing. I was only joking love. I'm sorry. You're right lets eat." God what had I done. I am not good at this at all. I looked away from him and picked up my fork to start picking at my food, suddenly I was no longer hungry. I had un-intentionally insulted him.

Lifting my chin with his fingers making me look at him, he said, "Hey. I know you were kidding, and so was I. It's ok to play around with me, and as a couple. It's what people do. I love that you do that with me. I want you feel free to be who you are, all the time. Tell me when I am being an ass, if I'm doing something stupid, or something that is hurting you in any way. Because I will tell you the same. That's the only way that we will be able to work sweetheart. I love your honesty, don't change that now. Ok?"

"It's just.... I had rules when I was with him. I have gotten used to being on my own and not living that way, now I need to learn how to be with someone who accepts me for, well, me without the rules. It feels weird. But nice." I said smiling at him, taking a bit of the omelet in front of me. It was delicious.

"I hate what he did to you. I think about it and I want to fucking kill him."

"Well, I won't allow you to do that, because I rather like having you around. I have made a decision though. Last night I did a lot of thinking and I came to a pretty big one. I wanted you to be the first person to hear about it."

"When were you up? Ok that doesn't matter, what do you have to tell me?"

"I got up to use the bathroom and couldn't get back to sleep right away, so I sat and watched you sleep, and thought some things over." I looked away shyly. I must have started to blush, because I felt the heat rising up my neck and face.

"Awe, sweetheart, you were watching me sleep? That's so sweet. Are you blushing?" I nodded in answer, and he held his hand to my face. "You are so beautiful. Now tell me what it is you need to tell me, I'm dying of curiosity here."

"We can't have that now can we." I winked at him, and he kissed my cheek. I giggled. God he was going to be the death of me. "Ok, so I have decided two things. First, I want to get a tattoo. And second, if David so much as touches me again, I will press charges. I don't care what it is he does. If he gives me a paper cut, I will press charges. I am done, I want him out of my life for good. If the police find anything concrete connecting him to my accident, then I hope he rots in prison for eternity."

Shannon sat there across from me for a moment not saying or doing anything, just looking at me. I didn't know what to do. So I put my fork down and waited for his reaction. I could have sworn I saw tears pooling in his eyes. None fell, but they were there. He then moved the tray to the floor and came around to my side of the bed, sat down next to me and wrapped me in a huge hug. Not too tight as to hurt my still slightly sore ribs, and he just held me. We didn't move for what seemed like forever. When he pulled back from me, he ran his hands through my hair and over my cheek and then held onto my neck. He leaned in and kissed me passionately.

After he pulled back, he looked at me and smiled. "I am so proud of you Eliza. You have been so brave and strong for so long, I can't begin to tell you how relieved I am to hear you say that. I am in awe of you, Eliza. And you want a tattoo?" Quirking that fucking sexy eyebrow at me, I smiled and nodded my head at him, biting my lower lip nervously. I wasn't sure how he, or anyone else would react for that matter. I don't have any tattoos. I've always wanted one, but for obvious reasons it never happened. "I know just the guy here in the city. We can do it today if you want to."

"So you aren't mad or disgusted by the idea of me getting a tattoo?" Automatically second guessing myself in a way. It was almost ingrained in my head to react this way.

Shannon growled lowly and brought himself closer to me. "Babe, I think it's sexy as hell." Pecking me on the lips he stood up slowly from the bed and walked back to pick up our breakfast. Placing it between us once again, he said we needed to eat.

We ate and talked together. Laughing and joking. It was the perfect start to what I imagine is going to be a perfect day. After we finished eating, we enjoyed a couple more very nice make out sessions before deciding it would be in both of our best interests if we showered and got ready for the day. While I showered, Shannon made a phone call to his tattoo artist friend about trying to squeeze me in later in the day.

Before Shan got in the shower, I had asked if I could look at some of his photography. He was flattered, and went to grab a few photo albums from the hall closet. When he came back in, I looked up and he asked ,"Where would you like to look at these?"

"Umm, I can go into the living room and lay on the couch. That way you can have your room back for a little while."

Walking towards the bed and placing the albums on the bed next to my legs, he sat down. "Where are you really comfortable El? You have a long day ahead of you, remember."

"In your arms, or as close to you as possible." Holy shit, did I actually say that out loud? Guessing by the look that overtook him, I'm thinking I did. His eyes turned a light shade of brown and he smirked at me, inching closer.

"Is that a fact, now sweetheart?"

I gulped, and looked at my hands that were folded in my lap. "Yes..."

The feeling of his fingertips under my chin, sent immediate warmth through my body. Lord the things he did to me. He raised my face to look him in the eye.

"Nothing makes me happier than to hear you say that, and there's no place I would rather be than to spend every possible moment with you." I looked at him, like you have got to be kidding me. "I have never been more serious, so don't look at me that way, you silly, gorgeous, amazing, girlfriend of mine."

I laughed. "You just love saying that, don't you?"

"I love it, and I love the way it sounds. So yes. And for now, being that I love the way you look in my bed, that's where you are going to stay. No arguments . Oh, the things I would love to do to you in this bed. But we aren't there yet, and I am more than happy to wait until the time is right." Running his finger along my jaw then pushing a piece of hair that was over my shoulder back behind my ear, he gently held my cheek and stroked my skin with his thumb. We leaned in toward one another, and kissed. Our lips lingered, then he backed away. It wasn't a heated, passionate kiss, but I felt it everywhere.

"Ok, I REALLY need a shower now. You stay put and enjoy the pictures." He grabbed the albums and remote to the stereo saying I could listen to music if I wanted to. Then he grabbed what he needed from his closet and dresser then turned and winked closing the bathroom door behind him.

I heard the water turn on, and I could hear Shannon humming, singing and whistling during his time in the shower. I decided to forego the stereo and listen to him instead. He sounded happy, and it made my heart swell. Opening the first album, I was now the one in awe. The pictures were mostly candid shots of different places and people through the years, of all the places they have travelled. There were pictures of family and friends, most of whom, I didn't know. Some I did recognize, Jared, Tomo and the crew, and others just barely. He was an amazing photographer. God he was so talented in so many different things. How in the world I could ever be enough for him, I don't know. He's travelled the world twice over, done so many things, met so many people, famous and not, the world was literally at his fingertips. What have I ever done? Where had I ever gone? Nothing and nowhere. I want so badly to be enough for him, and he seems to think I was. After last night and this morning, one thing I know for sure is that I am sure as hell going to try. I have never wanted to make something work, so badly in my life.

Hearing the water in the shower shut off, I knew Shan would be coming out soon. He was still humming away, and I chuckled. I was now on the beginning of book 3, when I heard the bathroom door click open. Glancing up, I felt myself staring at the man who stood in the doorway of the bathroom with a towel in his hand. Shannon was wearing a pair of loose fitting dark wash jeans that were slung low on his hips. Very low, I might add. Ok, deliciously low, and I was thoroughly enjoying the view. My line of sight went from his face to his shoulders, chest, abs, and the all so sexy valley leading.... Stopping myself, I looked up at Shannon's grinning face, and I was on fire.

"See something you like sweetheart?" He joked.

"I uh... Um... Yeah, Shan, your pictures are incredible. Seriously, have you ever considered publishing some of them? And for your information, I was just admiring the view." I stuttered out the first half and barely got out the rest of my sentence in one piece.

"You really like them?" Nodding to the albums next to me, and the one still sitting in my lap.

He leaned over taking the towel and ran it roughly over his head to dry it. Then stood up and brought it back into the bathroom. Re-emerging with his black t-shirt in hand he walked around to the other side of the bed and put the shirt down next to him, laying down on his stomach facing me propped up on his elbows.

"I love them, Shannon. You are so talented. You don't know how much I adore you..." Oh shit! Where had that come from. I had not intended on saying that quite so soon. I mean the man had just asked me to be his girlfriend less than 24 hours ago for fucks sake. I'm screwed.

"Well, that makes two of us, because I adore you Eliza Cahrter. More than you know." Taking my hand in his he kissed the back of it and held it. "Ok, I'm going to finish getting my shit together. We have an appointment to get to." He said happily, getting off the bed he picked up his shirt and slipped it over his head, all the while, I admired the view once again. I couldn't help myself, and smiled biting my lower lip.

Closing the album, I slid to the edge of the bed and started to get ready also. I was nervous and yet so very excited about today. Especially since Shannon would be there with me. He has done this before, and knew what to expect. He had promised to talk me through the whole process. I already knew exactly what I wanted. I hadn't told Shannon yet. Smiling at the thought, he came in and I looked up at him smiling wider.

"What are you smiling at woman?"

"Oh, nothing." I giggled.

"Uh huh. I don't believe you, you devilish thing you."

"Well, you are going to have to wait and see." I said winking at him as I stood up, making my way to him in the doorway. I leaned in and kissed him.

Smiling at me, he wrapped his arms over my shoulders. "Are you ready to go? We may want to take your bag with us, just in case the day gets away from us and we don't have time to come by here again before I have to bring you home."

"I already packed everything in the bag. It's on the floor next to the bed. I said sadly inclining my head towards the bed.

I turned to take one last look before we left. The knowledge that he would be on a plane tomorrow morning, hit me in the gut out of nowhere, and I felt tears start to fill my eyes. I had to remind myself to breath. When Shannon returned and saw the look on my face he dropped the bag and held my face with both his hands.

"Eliza, what's wrong? Talk to me please."

"You are leaving in the morning. I just got you back, and now I'm losing you all over. I don't known if I can do this." The tears were now falling down my cheeks. Shannon wiped them away for me.

"You are not losing me, not ever. Do you understand me? I understand how you are feeling more than you know, and I want nothing more than to stay. I promise you El, I will come back. Soon, and not Jared's version of soon either. If I can make it happen, I will come back on Friday. We can do this. Please don't give up on us already. I am begging you."

For what seemed like eternity, we looked at each other. A battle raging between my head and my heart. Did I have the strength to have him with me for brief periods in time, only to have Shannon leave me again and again. Was it worth it? Would I be enough for him in the long run? What would win out, would it be, sensibility or my desire to finally be happy....
♠ ♠ ♠
Update! Love to all my readers. Please comment, subscribe and recommend. You know the drill. I love to hear your thoughts! Xo

<3
mysoul4jimmy