Status: In Progress

Set Fire to the Rain

Accidents Happen

David's POV

I was sitting very calmly sipping on the cup of Starbucks Coffee that I held in my hand, as I waited patiently for Detective Brooke's. I Am guessing they had been making me wait in the interview room they presently had me in, for the past hour, on purpose. Approximately 4 weeks had passed since Lizzy's little fender bender, and the police department had been hounding me and my lawyer's office, trying to get in touch with me to set up a sit down with yours truly. I had been doing a really great job of avoiding the morons, but in all honesty, curiosity had gotten the best of me and I was anxious to find out exactly what it was they insisted they had to speak with me about. I did have a few ideas on what it was they wanted to discuss. This should be very entertaining. Everything I do, there is a reason and a purpose for my future with Lizzy. Fuck, I am getting bored. Taking another sip of my coffee, I glanced at my watch to check the time. It was now 4:30. Boring. I yawned.

The interview room door opened and Detective Brooke's. Walked into the room, straight faced, giving nothing away. "Afternoon, Mr. Richards. Sorry it took so long. We have been extremely busy here as of late."

"Hmm." Was my only answer. I don't give a fuck.

"So I am sure you are wondering why we have asked to see you here repeatedly. You see we have some un-answered questions that we feel only you would be able to answer regarding your ex-wife's accident. Would you be open to answering those questions today without the presence of your lawyer?"

"I will answer what I can, however I don't see how I could possibly be of any assistance to you or your case." I replied smoothly.

I could have sworn that I saw the detectives fists clench ever so slightly. Oh this will be so much fun. "Well, lets see what we can find out shall we. How about we start with the basics, like where were you on the night of the accident, and can anyone verify this."

"I was out of town on business, and I have the tickets from my flight there and back if you need to see them. Plus there are about 30 people who can confirm that I was in Michigan that night." It was all a lie of course. I had found some guy who looked almost exactly like me and paid him to take a vacation on me. He also showed up at my offices there, and signed in, not really speaking to anyone, just went to my office for a while and signed out. As far as my associates were concerned, I had been there. It was fucking brilliant I thought. All the while, I had been here, taking care of business with my beautiful wife.

The questions continued on in a fairly routine manner for the most part for the next hour until the detective pulled a plastic bag from his pocket and placed it in front of me on the table. Fuck.

"Mr. Richards, have you ever seen this before?"

I sat speechless for a moment, then reaching over I picked up the bag very smoothly and looked at the locket. After a moment, I placed the bag back on the table, and looked up at the detective. "Of course I have. It's Lizzy's locket. Her parents gave it to her years ago. And if memory serves, there should be pictures of the kids on the inside." He didn't know I had stolen it from her the night of that fucking rock concert. How he had ended up with it I don't know. Unless...

"Well, you see it's interesting, may I call you David?"

"No."

"Fine then, Mr. Richards, I find it interesting because we found this little trinket at the scene of your ex-wife's accident. The place where you say you never were. Correct?"

I suddenly realized where this was going and what had happened. I must have dropped this from my pocket that night, when I had gotten out of my car to go get Eliza. My mistake that night was doing too much damage to her car and not being able to remove her from the car on my own. They had needed the fire department for that. As soon as I saw the severity of the damage to her car and noticed the other car coming I hightailed my ass out of there. Obviously not before dropping my little trophy. "I said I was out of town that evening and away on vacation for a short period, yes. Though upon hearing about what happened to Eliza, I decided to drive by where the accident occurred to check things over for myself. I noticed the locket on the ground and picked it up briefly. But decided to leave it behind, as it is of no consequence to me."

"I see. So you are saying you went to the scene of the accident, saw this item, proceeded to pick it up, but thought better of it and left it where you found it. I don't know sir, that sounds a little far fetched to me." The young detective scoffed.

I could feel my blood beginning to boil and it took every ounce of self control to contain my growing anger at his accusation. "I feel I have been more than accommodating with answering all of your questions, and now I am beginning to get the feeling that I am being railroaded for something I didn't do. Shit, I want even in town when this went down. So unless you have any hard core evidence linking me to something, then I think we are done here. If you have any other questions, contact my lawyer." I was so done with this bullshit. There were plans I had to make.

Standing up from the table I walked over to the door and walked out into the hallway and passed Jack on the way. I brushed by him quickly, as he gave me what was supposed to be a death glare. Making my way out through the front of the police station into the parking lot, I walked to my car and climbed in. Sitting and taking a deep calming breath, I was finally able to relax. Plans. I had so many plans in the works; it was time to organize...

______________________________________________

Jacks POV

I walked into the interview room to find Aaron pacing. "So what did you think?"

"Honestly, the fucker is guilty as sin. I just need to find a way to prove it. His excuse isn't completely unbelievable, but not totally believable either. Ughh!!!! God he is such a fucking douchebag!" He ran his hands over his face in frustration.

"You are preaching to the fucking choir man. I know."

"How could your..." He looked at me with sad eyes not finishing his statement.

"He was a charmer, and she saw only the best in people. By the time she started to see the light it was too late. Sad thing is, now she can't get rid of him, and she's met a really nice guy."

"We will figure this out Jack. I promise. I am going to go work on this alibi thing. Something about it seems off to me. I don't know." He started to the door.

"Thanks Aaron."

"Anytime." And he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update! Sorry it's a little short, but I hope you like it. I wil try to update again soon. ;) love y'all. Xoxoxo

<3

mysoul4jimmy