Status: In Progress

Set Fire to the Rain

Happy Birthday To Me

Today is March 21st and it’s actually my birthday, the first day of spring. I dread my birthday; there was nothing that I wanted to celebrate less. It’s just another year of getting older and today I would be 41. Joy. It looks to be a beautiful day in the city, as I walked towards the building that housed the FUSE headquarters. The weather was a bit on the brisk side, but it was perfect to wake you up in the morning since I don’t drink coffee, well more like I can’t. As I was walking leisurely down the sidewalk, I started to get that uneasy feeling. The one where the hairs stood up on the back of my neck and arms, I felt like I was being watched. Plus it’s not my birthday. Not a great combination. My heart rate picked up as did the pace of my feet when I walked into the building slightly nervous, not knowing if Kym would be doing something for me today. Seriously, last year she had a male model show up in nothing more than skimpy underwear and sing “Your Too Sexy”. Talk about embarrassing. Sometimes I think she is certifiable, but I love her. She is always doing great things for the kids and me, and I would be lost without her. There have been a few occasions that she has tried to set me up on blind dates that I immediately turn down. Dating isn’t something that I ever did. Hell I was still looking over my shoulder, watching for the devil, afraid he might invade my life and destroy it once again. Today, I had that feeling, and I would take Kym’s craziness over David’s psychotic behavior any day of the week. I went to the elevators and stepped inside without a problem and pressed the button for the 5th floor after showing security my ID.

Once I arrived at my floor, I went in the front doors, and walked around the corner towards the coat closet. Once I got there I took off my purple wool coat and made my way to the ladies room to do a once over before beginning my day. Once there I stood in front of the mirror that stretched the length of the wall and placed my bag on the counter. I pulled my brush from my black purse, and looked up at myself in the mirror. Slowly I ran the brush through my mid-back length dark brown hair, deciding to pull it over my left shoulder and work it into a loose side braid. When I finished with the end of my hair I gently let it go and moved on to my face, not really doing too much because I don’t really wear all that much make-up to begin with. I like a simple look on me, personally. When I finished putting a light film of pink lip gloss on my lips, I applied a single stroke of mascara on my long eyelashes. From my dark hair, crystal blue eyes, and slim figure, I ran my hands over my dark blue fitted, button down dress shirt and dark grey dress slacks. Yes, I was very happy with my appearance for work today, and I looked ready to meet clients as they arrived. People often told me how beautiful I was. Truthfully I just don’t see it. All I see is a sad, lonely, woman that destroyed her family for her own personal gain. That’s David talking, damn him. I will not think about him today! I frowned, placing my things back in my purse, and then walked from the bathroom and back to my desk to put my bag down.

Once I place my things in a secure drawer, I began to walk around the studio saying good morning to those who were already in for the day, and getting the offices ready to open and use for interviews. When I was in the employee lounge getting the coffee started for everyone, one of the big executives, Mr. Grant strolled in to get his morning cup of coffee and smiled at me.

“Good morning Eliza, how are you this morning?” He asked in his very deep and somewhat intimidating voice.

“Good morning to you too, sir, I am doing well. How are you?” I asked as I tilted my head in his direction while checking to make sure that all the supplies were accounted for in the cabinets.

“I am doing really well. Thanks Eliza. Listen, I actually wanted to talk to you about something if you wouldn’t mind stopping by my office when you finish up in here, of course.” He asked as he finished adding the cream and sugar he had taken out for his coffee.

“I can do that. It shouldn’t take me more than 10 more minutes to finish things in here, and I will stop by. Would that work?” I asked him to make sure the time frame worked, just in case.

“That works out perfectly Ms. Cahrter, I will see you then.” And without another word, he picked up his coffee nodded and walked out of the lounge.

My mind began to wander over what Mr. Grant wanted to discuss. It must be a big deal, because ordinarily his admin Jessica took care of everything for him, unless it was something important. That really pissed her off, and I know that’s a big part of why she hates me so much. Honestly, I have other things to worry about, and could care less. I moved quickly around the room, making sure everything was in its place and made the notes as to what needed to be ordered. All a part of the job. They can’t live without their coffee, and I can’t live without them having it quite honestly!! As I walked towards Mr. Grant’s office, I noticed that many of the offices that had been empty when I first arrived were now occupied and the cubicles were starting to do the same. I nodded my head and said hello as I walked by on my approach to the hall that led to the head honchos office. The door was closed so I knocked because Kruella had not yet arrived; noticing that Jessica was late as usual. Why he kept her around, I still don’t know. Not my problem, I thought to myself as I waited for Mr. Grant to answer.

“Come in!” He called out.

“Hi Sir” I said with a smile, closing the door behind me then walked into the huge office towards his desk. There was an enormous window that overlooked the city behind him and he sat behind probably the largest desk every created, while he sat in a huge leather chair to match. Though I have to say it suited him. Everything in his office was enormous.

“Have a seat please. I promise to be quick; I know you need to get back to your duties.”

I walked over and around one of the coordinating leather chairs that sat opposite him and took a seat while patiently waiting for him to fill me in on what big plans he had for me.

“I appreciate that sir, thank you. What is it that I can do for you?” I asked him as I sat patiently across from him.

“Well, as you know on occasion we have some very impressive clientele come in to the studio to do interviews, shoots for a show, or for a meeting. Today there will be 2 bands visiting us and I would like for you to personally show them around, take them to lunch if they desire to do so. The important thing here is that you introduce yourself, buzz me, and do your thing. You are a pro, so I have no doubts that they will like and be impressed by you. I just wanted to give you a heads up because we didn’t know until very late last night after you had already gone home that this was happening. So I apologize for the late notice.”

“That is no problem Mr. Grant. I will let you know as soon as they arrive. Just one question sir, who is it that I should be expecting?” I asked with a smile.

“Sorry Eliza, I forgot to mention that, I have a lot on my mind. There are a few big things happening today and it slipped my mind. They are Jared and Shannon Leto, along with Tomo Millicevic from 30 Seconds to Mars, and a smaller band Endless Hallway. I know that you know your music, so I’m not worried about you not recognizing these particular gentlemen when they arrive.” He laughed.

I started to rise from the chair when Mr. Grant also stood up and said, “Oh, and Eliza”

“Yes sir?”

“Happy Birthday and thank you for everything you are doing. This past year you have done a great job, and don’t tell Jessica I told you this, but you kick her ass as a secretary.” Then he just busted out into a fit of laughter, reached over the desk and shook my hand.

“Thank you very much, sir” I chuckled, shook his hand, and walked out from his office back towards my own desk. Passing a still empty admins desk that belonged to Jessica on my way. I looked for Kym on my way, saw that she had arrived, but wasn’t at her desk. The door to her boss’ office was closed so I was guessing that she was in getting her daily update. Thankfully for Kym they got along really well. I don’t know what I would do without my partner in crime.

I arrived at my desk, sat down and looked at the pictures I had placed around of my kids and the one of the 3 of us together, with a smile. Suddenly my cell phone started to go off and I looked at caller id and it was MJ. I answered and she immediately started singing ‘Happy Birthday’ to me with her roommate.

“G’morning Mommy and Happy Birthday to the most amazing, beautiful, and loving person I know.” Mags said to me in that happy voice of hers that I love so very much.

“Good morning to you too, my angel! And thank you, but why are you both up so early?” I asked her quietly.

“Other than the obvious” She giggled, “Besides, it’s the first day of spring and Jules and I want to go out after class and celebrate! Oh, and we were thinking maybe a birthday lunch with my beautiful mother.”

“Actually, that sounds like the perfect idea. Just a warning, I may or may not have company with me today.”

“No shit? Really! Like who? Any young hot guys who are fucking rock gods and possibly single?” She asked in a hope filled voice.

“First of all Mags, yes I do happen to know who is coming. Second of all, this is business for me, don’t forget that ok. So if you and Jules do come with, please try to be on your best behavior, alright.”

“Please! Mommy, when am I not on my absolute best behavior? Especially since it’s your birthday, I would never, ever do anything to embarrass or upset you. You know that right?” MJ replied. “So who is it, aren’t you going to tell me who’s coming in today? Please!?” My daughter was practically begging. I loved to do this to her when I had the opportunity, it was just too much fun. There was no way in hell I was telling her who was showing up today. Jared, Shannon, and Tomo, were not only three of her absolute favorite musicians, but also her biggest inspirations for anything in life. So if they did go to lunch with us, it would be a huge surprise, if not and I told her they would be there, it would end in disappointment. Plus she was a huge fan of Endless Hallway, a win-win situation for my daughter; she’s going to flip out! To have my fun with her for the time being, I kept it to myself.

“Nope, sorry baby, I am not telling. You will just have to wait. Besides, they may not even join us for lunch. You will just have to wait and see.”

“Ughh! You are no fucking fun woman!” She laughed at me.

“I love you too Mags. I will text you the info when it gets closer to lunch time and I have the information, alright? I have to go, time to work. Tell Julie hi.”

“Love you mom, and Happy Birthday!” She responded softly.

“Happy Birthday, Ms. Cahrter!” I heard Julie screaming in the background. I had to chuckle at that. The girl was a riot, and a wonderful roommate to my daughter.

As the next few hours progressed, Kym had delivered to me breakfast and balloons. One of those balloons reading Happy Birthday and the other said “Still Sexy, Eat ur heart Out”! The woman is out of her mind and scares the shit out of me most days, but I love her like a sister. I had a phone call from Scott and John, my parents and then Jack. The bonus call of the morning was the phone call from Craig Easton. He is one of my oldest and dearest friends and lives in Southern California, and because of that, we never see one another. He writes books, and articles for different music journals and magazines, keeping busy all the time. The man travels all the time, so he is never around, and we never get to talk, but we do try to touch base when we can. Unfortunately we were only able to talk for about a minute, but he promised to call me later on in the evening.

My morning had gone fairly quickly so far, when I heard the ding of the elevator doors and the chatter of men from outside of the glass wall and glass doors that separated the entry and main hallway from outside. I looked up and saw the familiar faces of the gentlemen we were expecting, plus that of the band Endless Hallway. I was not as familiar with their band, but I had heard their music before and really enjoyed it. The men looked up as they talked with one another and glanced my way all the while continuing on with their conversation. The group stopped about 4 feet from the main doors and turned in towards each other and began talking in a hushed tone, so as to not be overheard. This went on for about 4-5 minutes and I went back to what it was I had been doing in the first place.

“Ehhem.” The tall man with bright blue eyes and wild black hair cleared his throat, while folding his arms and leaning onto the raised reception desk looking down at me. He had a hint of mischief behind his crystal eyes, and I wasn’t sure exactly what he was up to, but I knew to keep an eye on him. I had seen and heard about the chaos that this group always seems to bring with them, no matter where they seem to go, and also about his reputation, in particular. Working in the business that I do, you hear everything.

This should be interesting. “Hello there, my name is Jared Leto and we are all here for the 10 o’clock with Mr. Grant.” He said smoothly with a soft smile on his face. The other men were all standing around Jared eagerly, as if waiting for something to happen. Strange, but then again, they were not exactly your normal group of guys.

“Good morning. Let me inform Mr. Grant that y’all have arrived. My name is Eliza Cahrter; if you need anything please don’t hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to take care of it right away.” I said to them making sure to make eye contact with each of them, as I picked up the receiver to dial the extension to Mr. Grants office.

“Why thank you very much beautiful. Believe me we will.” Jared said with smile and a wink as he turned to his brother, Tomo, Ryan, Evan, and Jono. They all seemed to get a chuckle out of that, I felt my cheeks begin to heat, and I had a feeling there was more behind their laughter than I was aware.

There was no time to even consider what the guys were up to because the ringing on the other end was picked up and I heard the gruff voice of Mr. Grant,” Yes, Ms. Cahrter have our guests arrived yet?”

“Yes, sir, they have. Would you like for me to bring them back to your office?”

“No thank you, I will be right up to meet them, just give me one moment if you will.” And the line went dead.

I stood up from my desk and walked around to stand in front of the group asking “Gentlemen, may I take your jackets and hang them up for you?”

Jared was the first to respond when he turned around and looked down at me and slowly slid his long black wool jacket off his slender figure and handed it to me saying, ”Why thank you ma’am. You know, it’s not every day that we have the opportunity to run into an extremely good looking woman, such as yourself.” Then he actually wiggled his eyebrows. Really? Did he just do that!

“Holy shit Jared, take a fucking breath and back the fuck off bro. Holy hell. She is a lady, not a street walker for god’s sake,” Shannon had taken his jacket off but stood there slowly shaking his head in embarrassment, with a slight smile on his full lips. Oh yeah, I know enough to figure out when something is going on here.

The entire group had busted out into a small fit of the giggles and not a single one of them could look me straight in the eye. They were acting like a bunch of teenaged boys at recess! What the hell is going on here!

“Shann, I am simply stating a fact, I call” but the rest of Jared’s statement was cut off when Mr. Grant walked into the reception area to take the group of men back to the conference room for their meeting.

The formal introductions were made and after I hung everyone’s coats, I asked if there were any preferences for lunch in the way of where they would like to dine. I already knew that they sometimes resided in NYC, so most places would be familiar to them. The other thing I also knew was that the Leto boys were from Louisiana and they might like Southern/Cajun food, though Jared is a vegan . We can make that work, so I am not worried. I named a small restaurant not far from the studio and everyone agreed that it would be perfect.

I went on about my morning with minimal interruptions or major problems, and that made me extremely happy. The feeling of unease I had experienced when I first arrived had lifted thankfully, and I was getting a lot of work done. Considering I would have to play babysitter at lunch, I had to do as much as possible now. Sometimes there just never seemed to be enough hours in the day, especially on days like today, though I guess it’s better that it go quickly than drag on slow as fuck. Before I knew it, I heard once again laughter resonating from the direction of the conference room where they had been meeting coming towards the reception area. The low rumbling laughter of one man, there was a lighter laugh and the bellow of Mr. Grant, followed by that of the Endless Hallway groups’ interactions, was unmistakable. I had already made the reservations for lunch and was only waiting on the group to gather up front so we could leave for lunch.

Within the next minute they rounded the corner with their coats over their shoulders talking amongst themselves. Mr. Grant didn’t normally join us on our lunch outings, he left that to me. Jared already had his black coat on, and Tomo had his black wool coat on as well. Shannon and the Endless guys were just starting to shrug on their individual coats so that we could get ready to go. I excused myself quickly around the corner to get my jacket and let Kym know that we were getting ready to leave. When I was coming back with my jacket, Kym was at my side. The second we stepped into reception and she saw the group that was waiting, a very familiar look came over her face. Shit, I was screwed. That look on her face, meant trouble and mayhem would ensue for sure.

“Well, I will leave you in Ms. Cahrter’s very capable hands for lunch, as I won’t be joining you for that. Too many things to take care of around here,” Mr. Grant said to all of us. “Oh, and Eliza, make sure you get something nice on me, ok? Happy Birthday” And with a small smile he walked back towards his office area and left me standing there staring in shock. Just great.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Another update, and the 30 Seconds to Mars guys finally make an appearance!!! Woohoo! Please, comment, recommend and subscribe. Make me super happy!! :)