Status: Updates at random

A Serpants Lullaby...

Year 2

During the summer before my second year I’d spent a considerable amount of time with Zane; due to finding out that he also lives in London, and it figured to be hardly a few blocks away! The time we’d spent together really had proved to make our friendship grow stronger.

As usual, I’d made it to the platform on time and without complications. And once more, as usual I’d sat with my best friends. Jay had spent the summer back home in America, Sara had went to live with her grand mother in Scotland, and Page had gone with her parents to the Caribbean. But we were all glad to be going back to school once more together.

Jay had become ecstatic about the what we would be learning in herbology this year, and had also mentioned the idea of going to the quidditch team this year; he’d even made me promise that I would try out for my own house team. I would never turn down a challenge, so it was a sure fire yes.

The first few months were relatively ordinary, other than the fact that our newest Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher is a complete moron. I don’t care what anyone says, this so called genius of a wizard can’t tell the difference between a book and a door stopper, he’s completely incompetent. So during his classes I’d actually gotten into the habit of bringing along one of the previous second year text books from the library, and just sat in class reading it.

In my spare time, I would be on my broom over the quidditch field. I wasn’t sure what my best position would be, but I’d been told I was considerably good at the role of beater and chaser. According to both Jay, and even the team captain for the Ravenclaw team (Burton Thomson) had said that I had great potential. Burton had even given me a special invitation to the first tryouts. During the many practices I’d only ever gotten faster on my broom; and in due time, I’d come to the realization that I wanted to be a chaser.

During some of my private (unplanned) practices, I’d noticed that occasionally there would be someone sitting in the Slytherin stands. I could see the bleach blonde hair from a mile up, so I obviously knew it was that Malfoy kid. He would just sit there, and watch; sometimes he’d bring a few books along and I could only figure it was his homework.

As it turned out, this year I had defense against the dark arts with him once more this year, along with herbology. And during one of my Dense classes, when I’d simply been sitting in the back row with Zane, reading a book on 5th year spells; due to have already read and practiced the spells in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year books. I’d been approached by Draco during the common point of time when the class was in a complete uproar over nonsense.

“So Charlotte-.” he’d spoken boldly.

“It’s Charlie.” I corrected him.

“Okay fine, Charlie then. I had just noticed your apparent interest in flying.”

I hadn’t even bothered to look up from my book. “Hmm mmm. What’s it to you?”

“I only wanted to ask if it was your goal to try out for your house team?” his hands rather proudly placed on his hips.

“Yes... it is.”

“As?” he pushed.

“Chaser.” I replied.

“Ah yes, seems fitting.” he shrugged and then turned to walk off.

I’d only looked up when his back was turned from me to notice how proudly, yet cautious way he walked back to his desk in the middle of the class.

“That was odd.” spoke Zane from beside me, his hands behind his head in an attempt to nap.

“Slightly.” I replied, as I closed my book. “I’ve often seen him in the stands when I’m flying around on the quidditch field.”

“Now that’s odd.” he opened his eyes to look at me. “He is quite a git towards pretty much everyone. Even the ones in our dorm.

“Well I can’t answer for him. And at the moment, I don’t quite care.”

In the next few weeks the tryout arrived. I did indeed make it as a right winged chaser, and would be in the starting line in the first game against Hufflepuff, that we did indeed win. During one of the games I’d been ushered to the side of the arena by McGonagal and quickly brought to the infirmary, where I’d found Zane, Jay and Sara standing around a hospital bed.

It had turned out that Page had been petrified. Jay had been considerably upset, and Sara had made it a point that when the mandrakes were ready to be turned into medicine that she’d want to help. While Zane had mentioned the idea that we designate time that we would all spend with her here. So that became the plan, from 4-6 I’d be with Page to keep her company in a sense. It was surprisingly difficult for me to see such a close friend in a situation like this. I’d often find myself telling her about what had happened during my day, including all my opinionated thoughts that always came to mind.

It had turned out that by the end of the year, I hadn’t had a chance to venture into the dark forest. In fact I’d almost forgotten about my interests in it. Once again, by the end of the year Harry Potter had saved the day, and the school was once more in need of a new Defense against the dark arts teacher.

All those petrified were returned to their original state, and Page had later explained that she had been aware of our time spent with her. She’d thanked us with happy tears running down her cheeks. We’d once more been reunited as a group. She’d even pulled me aside and given me a hug and told me how much she appreciated me being there for her, and how much she’d learned about me. I’d honestly started to see that our friendship had grown so quickly.

It had been a full year of ups and downs, but as always, I’d had my friends and a new passion in flying.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the 10 month wait just to get this out... but school is a killer.