It's in Your Face But You Can't Grab It

Exit Light, Enter Night

I bolted upright in bed, my breathing heavy and irregular. Sweat was pouring out of every inch of my skin it felt like. Thedream nightmare started playing back in my mind. Worry crept into me and I jerked around to see if Zacky was gone like in the nightmare. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw Zacky staring at me with a worried expression.

"Raven, what's wrong?" he asked as he sat up and wiped a tear off my face. I guess I had cried in my sleep.

I shook my head but didn't answer for a moment; I was still too shaken from the dream. Instead, I put my hand against his chest and ran it down the length dream Lance had cut him, just to be sure I wasn't still dreaming. He gave me a weird look. "What was that for?"

"Oh thank God," I gasped as I threw my arms around him. He chuckled and returned my embrace.

"Care to tell me what's going on? You're scaring the shit out of me."

I let go of him. "I just had a nightmare. A very vivid and realistic looking one."

He gave me that look that said "Go on," so I did. "Well basically, Lance broke into the house and gruesomely killed you and the kids. It really got to me. It just seemed so real..." Images from the nightmare starting fighting their way back, but I kept them away; far away.

Zacky wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his chest. He kissed the top of my head and stroked my hair. I could hear his heart beating and couldn't help but smile. It was the soothing sound of life; something that really calmed me down after that nightmare.

"Do you think they caught him?" I whispered, my voice higher in pitch than normal. I sounded like a scared little kid asking if the light would scare away the boogeyman.

"That threat's really got you worked up, doesn't it?"

I nodded. "It's just...I don't know what he's capable of. He's never threatened me before and I just don't know if that was an empty threat or something more. And I don't want--"

"Us to get hurt, I know babe," he finished. "We've been through this before."

I let out a sigh, remembering why we had to leave each other the first time. It was pretty much because I wouldn't be able to stand it if Zacky were to get hurt because of me.

I cuddled close to him and nuzzled my head into his neck. He started running his hand down my back. I hissed when he touched my cut. Apparently it still hurt when touched. He whispered a quick apology. I said it was okay and he began tracing my spine again.

I closed my eyes and tried to drift off into a hopefully nightmareless slumber but my efforts were in vain. I'd be lucky if I ever had a good night's sleep again.

Suddnely, from down the hallway there were several screams; children's screams. I turned in Zacky's arms and stared at the door, my heart practically stopping in my chest. Then, I heard little feet running toward us and Vivica came bursting in, almost tripping and shouting, "Momma! Momma!" She managed to get on the bed then quickly crawled over to Zacky and I. I pulled her to me. She was shaking horribly.

"Vivica, what is it? Where's Damion?" She was shaking too badly and crying too hard to answer me. I held her close and hugged her to see if she'd calm down.

"I'm gonna go check on the others," Zacky said while getting up. I nodded in response. He started toward the door, but then stopped as a dark figure passed the doorway. I didn't even have to look twice; I knew who it was. It was the same person who had haunted my dreams earlier.

Lance.

And I'm almost certain he has Damion.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, please don't hate me about the cliffhanger, but I'm going to have to get off soon (I know it sucks but I would like to be able to get on tomorrow and give you guys the next chapter).

Well, I was right and my week has been pretty shitty so make me feel better and tell me what you think please!

M. Vengeance