A Mouse's Tale

Chapter One

She couldn't help how she felt for him. The way his long, blond hair blew in the wind made her insides feel like they were being twisted into knots. Her heart beat a little faster every time that she heard his sweet, musical voice and melted when he smiled at her. He was everything that she ever wanted in a man, but as much as she wished it, she could not have him. The woman latched onto his arm was the saddening proof of that. He whispered something into the woman's ear, making her laugh. She wished so badly, not for the first time, that she could be in the woman's shoes.

She looked down at her reflection in the clear water of the fountain that she sat beside and regarded her features. Her light brown hair was cut short, just above the chin, in the style of a man's and was often tucked behind her ears, especially when she was nervous or anxious like she was now. Her mysterious forest green eyes flashed in the rippling waters of the fountain as she looked at herself unhappily. Though she had a cute little nose, small lips, and average sized ears, looking at herself she could find no reason to feel as if she was beautiful. No one had ever called her beautiful, though she had seen many of the men around the Palace call the Ladies of the Court beautiful.

But why would any of them think a servant such as I to be beautiful? she sighed, looking down at her signature green tunic and brown breeches, the typical colours of the Palace uniform. Only the white long sleeved undershirt that she wore under the tunic distinguished her as being a higher ranking servant, as only those who wore white directly served the Royal Family, and as she was the Queen's personal servant, it made sense that she would wear the white undershirt.

Sometimes I wish that I was as beautiful as the Queen... she sighed again, splashing the reflection, distorting her features and making her look Ugly. She frowned. I am ugly. No one could ever love me.

"Mouse! Mouse!" she heard her name being called by a pleasantly familiar voice. She couldn't help but smile as the owner of the voice came into view.

"Here I am, Your Majesty," she bowed to her Queen. "What can I do for you?"

"Oh drop the formalities, Mouse," she sighed as she grabbed Mouse's hand and proceeded to drag her along as she moved away. "Lord Penton is making me attend the Suitors Ball tonight and I need you to help me get ready if I must attend!"

"Arya, you know you don't need to ask me to help you," Mouse laughed as she let herself be carried along. "I am your servant after all. It's my job to do whatever you ask." Arya stopped suddenly and turned around sharply to face her.

"I'm not asking my servant," she remarked defensively. "I'm asking my friend! Come on, Mouse! We've known each other for how long?"

"Too long to remember," Mouse smiled. "And I was only teasing. Come now, let's go find you the least appealing dress that we can!" This drew a laugh from Arya's lips. The sound was like music on the air. Mouse smiled, knowing very well how much Arya hated these Suitors Balls and would rather not have to attend them at all. She did not believe in the whole match-making business. She truly believed that when she found love, it would be natural. A love at first sight kind of feeling.

Mouse regarded her Queen as they continued walking. There was no question as to why so many suitors showed up to these balls. Queen Arya was by far the fairest of all the women in the Kingdom, and Keiento held a lot of women. Her long, luscious chocolate brown hair was partly tied back, framing her lightly tanned face that held a slender mouth and delicate nose. Her deep hazel eyes sparkled when she laughed, which was musical to the ears. Her figure was very fine and appealing to many men that beheld her, a trait that Mouse envied. Though she had a slender body, it was no comparison to Arya's.

"Come along now, Mouse," Arya laughed. "We can't keep the men waiting... Or maybe we can! Hmmm, the later I show up, the more irritated they will be and all the more easier to dismiss!" She clapped her hands with a smile. "Now why didn't you think of that?"

"Who knows?" Mouse smiled back, with a wink. "Now let's go see how unappealing we can make you. And don't worry about rushing. We have, after all, all the time in the world!"